No announcement yet.

Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i aprreciate everyones comments i am back from my wilderness adventure and see alot has been going on i suppiort the lowered draw weight and everyone has valid points i have worked with my daughter since age 4 starting out with a ol0ong bow working her way up to the compound the girl shoots and wins tournaments and when an animal presents itself broadside is in serious trouble i educate her on shot angles we practivce them she does not take risky shots. its time for our youth to be next to us doing what we love im going forward with this to letters/ pictures to TPWD and whoever else i hope yall join me

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
      Daniel... never tell grown ups they are wrong... you can disagree all you want but word it better, Cotton has about a 40 year head start on you little buddy... I wouldn't say any thing if I didn't think you were a good kid. Traditional equipment can't produce the KE of a compound, it is just physics
      ....ok ....Sorry Cotton

Comment

Originally posted by RedTx View Post
        Looks like yall all got too much time on your hands.
        Not if you have children and wives that want to bowhunt.

Comment

Tell my 4 year old that..shes all about hunting and shooting a bow. I havent got one yet buts shes ready,She knows more about gettung hogs out of a trap then my wife..
          She darn sure knows how to throw corn out of the back of truck.
          Lauren will most likely be smaller in body length and stature but shes got determination..Hard headed like her dad..if you say she cant do it she will do it to prove you wrong..Its gonna be hard for her at 7 or so to shoot a 40 pound bow and hunt but I bet she will be right beside me.If I am outside ,shes my shadow,if I am shooting my bow,shes asking me when she will have a bow..
          I hope my kids turn out and have the want that Jasmine has!! Why let the fire die,,lets feed it and make the interest for our young better

Comment

I do however have a problem with the hunters that only shoot their bow a week before hunting season.
            I have a problem with this too. Those people are not hunters in my book.
            But this is not limited to people who bowhunt. There are many more gun hunters that also never shoot a gun until they pay the outfitter. Some don't have rifles; they borrow them and don't know where they are hitting on the target.

Most of the people here on this site are pro's by saying this I mean they take bowhunting seriously, it’s not a joke and it’s not just a drinking game on the weekend.
            Since we (most of us) are pro's and take our bowhunting seriously then we all know the limits on a low poundage bow.
            I for one wouldn't let a kids shoot at a live animal past 20 yards, with a low poundage bow, because of the loss of KE at yardage over that. As a Pro I have done my homework and know what a low poundage bow is capable of doing and at what distance. As a Pro I have worked with my child to know what his capable of doing as well.

Look at all the things as Pros we do prior to hunting with or own gear; paper tune, sharpen broadheads, quite down, etc…why would we do anything less, as Pro’s, if our child is going to hunt with a low poundage bow? We would want to know exactly what that set up is capable of doing before we would allow it to be use, would we not?

There will always be someone who doesn't act like a pro in any sport. That's life; we can’t control what others, but we can sure control our own environment.

So what would be the big deal to lower the draw weight or actually abolish the minimum draw weight since the majority of bowhunters are Pros?

I think we are hurting ourselves and our sport if we keep restricting ourselves to rules that are outdated, esp. since our equipment, both compounds and traditional, is much more advanced than 10, 15, 20 years ago.

It is time that we all come together as bowhunters and get this law changed.

Comment

I couldnt agree more<Swat..I know all of my bow stands are with in 20 yards,,the shots may not always be but thats how I set them up.If my scent and my movement isnt right I aint gonna get a shot and I dont deserve one

Comment

Jasmine

Jasmine shoots 10-15 tops any farther and swe will not shoot period the bow still has enough kenetic energy to go 10 yards on the other side of the hog i winder how far it would go on the other side of a deer??/

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Not if you have children and wives that want to bowhunt.
                  I do have kids. My kid will have to reach that 40 lb mark if he wants to hunt whitetail. If he cant we will hunt hogs or whatever else is legal to hunt with a bow under 40 lbs.

I am however not going to go, dang it my little buddy cant hunt deer because he cant pull 40 lbs. Hey I got it lets just change the law cause it doesnt go my way. What does that teach my kid??? If he/she cant pull 40 they dont get to hunt deer. If they want it bad enough they will reach that 40 lb weight. I might take he/she hunting with me, but they will know up front they are not going to get to shoot a deer.

IM sure 25lbs could kill deer in certain instances, but I bet more times than not it wont. I agree with yall that some of the bows rated at 30lbs plus could kill deer. THe fact is the law is 40 lbs. Its life get over it and quit bellyaching.

Another thing I noticed is this saying " That 40lbs pull law sure is stupid" Did anybody try to figure out why they came up with that law?? Or did you just make judgement because you dont agree with it??

One more thing before I go did anybody consider how much this might cost the state in training, and equipment. I think it could be quite a bit, just because little timmy, and great aunt judy cant pull 40lbs?

JMHO

Comment

So Red if you're hit by a car tomorrow and all you will be able to draw is 30#s for the rest of your life? I guess you're just never bow hunt a game animal again.

The 40# law was put into place in the mid to early 80's it was based on technology of that time. I understand you have a very narrow view with the world being flat and all! Even you should be able to see how far the compound bow has advanced since that law was put in place over 20 years ago. Then again like most folks you're only thinking of you and if little timmy and great aunt judy can't hunt what's it to you! BTW JMHO

Comment

ar 34 lb shooting 260 plus fps over 37 lbs of kinetic energy it only takes in africa 25 hmmm i hope my jasmine kills a bigger deer than me

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
                        So Red if you're hit by a car tomorrow and all you will be able to draw is 30#s for the rest of your life? I guess you're just never bow hunt a game animal again.

The 40# law was put into place in the mid to early 80's it was based on technology of that time. I understand you have a very narrow view with the world being flat and all but even you should be able to see how far the compound bow has advanced since that law was put in place over 20 years ago. Then again like most folks you're only thinking of you and if little timmy and great aunt judy can't hunt what's it to you! BTW JMHO
                        Hey cotton I dont know you so lets not start calling each others views narrow.

Now to answer your question if I was hit by a car and couldnt draw a 40 lb bow what would I do?? I dont know, corssbow, rifle, blackpowder. I know of a guy that bowhunts that is blind, and he uses his hearing. I heard he is a pretty descent shot, and at times needs help being pointed in the right direction. If there is a will there is a way that I do know. I simply wouldnt start calling for the law to be changed because I felt like throwing a pity party for myself.

Yes your right the bows of today are a awesome engineering marvel. They reach way more KE than previous bows. With that being said do you know anybody that has lost a deer shooting a newer 60 lb bow? IM betting you have. Im not talking bad shoot placement, good shot placement. Im saying they hit a deer, and just simply couldnt find it? Did they have enough KE? Did they not?

Like I said before I believe there are alot of bows out there way lower poundage than the 40lb mark that can effectively kill deer if used right, but that in itself becomes the problem.

Most of us on here know about the importance of shot placement, sharpness of broadheads, KE, and our limitations on the distance of our shots, but the state cant count on everyone in this great state to think like that. They also cant count on everyone to make a ethical shot on animal.

I just think alot of you are only considering your own child as what is the standard, guess what it aint. IM sure all of your kids know how to shoot effeciently and effectively, but im pretty sure all kids dont. Im sure ther are a ton of kids that would grab a 30 lb bow lob a arrow 50 yards at a deer, and the whole time there father going "Way to go son" if the law was changed. Do you think that is ethical. There is just a bigger picture than the kids we are raising to be ethical bowhunters. WE have to consider the unethical hunter teaching his/her offspring the same unethical hunitng practices.
                        Last edited by RedTx; 03-04-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Hey guys this is turning into a pissing match again, oh what a surprise Hey a post was started and I think it was meant for everyone to state their opinion, so accept the fact someone may have a different view than yours.

Comment

I found this KE calculator, and noticed some of yall were intretead in it so I thought i would post it up.

Comment

With that being said do you know anybody that has lost a deer shooting a newer 60 lb bow? IM betting you have. Im not talking bad shoot placement, good shot placement. Im saying they hit a deer, and just simply couldnt find it? Did they have enough KE? Did they not?
                              I get to see the ones the hunters swear were a double lung shot and couldn't find. Trust me 99% are not DL hits or even close. So no they just made a bad shot no matter how they felt about it.

In reality the question is will today's 30# bows cleanly kill Texas game animals? That's the only question that has to be proved to TPWD. The added revenue and hunters numbers will just be a plus for TPWD.

Comment

I do have kids. My kid will have to reach that 40 lb mark if he wants to hunt whitetail. If he cant we will hunt hogs or whatever else is legal to hunt with a bow under 40 lbs.
                                The whole point is...If the draw weight of less than 40# is good enough to hunt hogs then it is a slam dunk for deer. Hogs are much tougher than a whitetail and your, along with others are saying that it will kill a hog with no problems.
                                Under the current law a kid can't shoot a javelina (collared peccary) with 25#-39# pound bow, because it is considered a game animal, although they can kill a hog...sounds kind of asinine if you ask me.

Like I said before I believe there are alot of bows out there way lower poundage than the 40lb mark that can effectively kill deer if used right, but that in itself becomes the problem.
                                I think the main problem some people are close minded about this issue.

Im sure ther are a ton of kids that would grab a 30 lb bow lob a arrow 50 yards at a deer, and the whole time there father going "Way to go son" if the law was changed.
                                How about the jerks that shoot 70# bows at animals 50 yards away and the whole time their buddies are yelling "Way to go Dude, you hit him in the @ss!" under the current law.
                                Like I said, "There will always be someone who doesn't act like a pro in any sport. That's life; we can’t control what others, but we can sure control our own environment."
                                Last edited by Swat791; 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X