Nilgai caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai caliber

My new lease has Nilgai and I have never seen or shot one before. My question is, what caliber do y’all think is the best for shooting one behind the shoulder? I have heard that they are large and very tough to bring down. I shoot a 7mm mag with 162 grain ELD-X ammo. I would think it would be fine but curious what y’all think.

I harvested one with a .308 in July at about 150 yards. He only ran about 25 yards, but I did manage to punch a hole in his pump.

Comment

I’m taking .375 H&H in two weeks. But, I think the right bullet placed in the vitals will do the trick. I normally shoot a 7 as well and would have no problem using it on nilgai.

Comment

The bigger the better but opinions on this topic vary greatly as you will soon see..
        I personally want 200grs plus of a well built .30 cal or bigger bullet out of a Magnum..

Comment

I've only been around to see 5 bulls shot. From 325lbs to close to 600. I'd take at least .270. The guy who let us shoot them on his ranch prefers a .300mag of some sort. But if you want to chase them through the brush, have at it.

I've yet to see one take a step with the .300 Weatherby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You will be fine with the 7 mag.

Comment

I’ve shot 1 bull and 3 cows with my Remington 270

Comment

My dad shot his last weekend with a 300 Weatherby mag. It didn't go very far.

Comment

Not one step between the 3 of'em with a .300 Weatherby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe your 7mag will be fine. Shoot the heaviest bullet that is accurate for your gun. I'd definitely keep shots under 200 yards with that caliber. My friend shot a bull with my 7ultra mag at about 60 yards and the bullet did not pass through. They are tough but not invincible. My preference though would be a 300 mag or larger. High neck shots and head on chest shots are my go to if I have a solid rest and a relaxed animal.

Comment

I think to a point, shot placement and bullet make a bigger difference than cartridge. Don't think id use an eld-x on nilgai. 160 or 175 partitions or trophy bonded tips should work fine from a 7 mag. When I get to hunt one, I'll be using my 300 win mag and 180 gr trophy bonded tips or 35 Whelen and 225 gr Accubonds.

Comment

Dang that's a big animal. We need some in East Texas

Comment

I might be wrong...but I have read that the heart isn't in the traditional place like on whitetails...it's advised to shoot them right through the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                            I might be wrong...but I have read that the heart isn't in the traditional place like on whitetails...it's advised to shoot them right through the shoulder.
                            I don't think that shot is intended to get at the heart, I believe it's to break down their running gear. No shoulders/no running, or at least very little. You are correct in that the heart seems very Forward more so than a deer but it's been a while since I've gutted a nilgai for verification.

Comment

I would say a .270 with 150 gr. is the minimuum

Comment

Working...
                              X