2018 Kawasaki Mule SX Roof Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Kawasaki Mule SX Roof Build

I'm about to build a roof for my 2018 Kawasaki Mule SX 4x4 and I figured I'd share my plans for anyone else who might be interested. I plan on using 3/4" treated plywood with several layers of undercoat so I can stand on it to feel feeders. I plan to fasten it to the roll bar with (10) 1 3/4" Stainless Pipe straps with rubber softeners I found on amazon for $12.99 for a 10 pack. I found a 120 watt LED lightbar for $29 on amazon and a 3 switch toggle panel to control the light (2 extra switches in case I add more lights later). I will run a 15 amp fuse between the battery and the switch. If anyone has any advice feel free to chime in.
    Attached Files

I will post pics of the project as I go along. Ill also include part numbers and pricing for all parts as well as where they were purchased from.

Comment

Undercoat

This is the undercoat I'll be applying to my treated plywood.

Comment

sorry the picture did not take. here is the undercoat.
        Attached Files

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t use the rubberized undercoating. It won’t hold up with you walking on it. It will also soften in the heat. Get a raptor liner kit on amazon. Or something similar. Cures hard as a rock and stays that way. Also UV resistant. It will be the best $100 you’ve spent. I have some parts on the exterior of my Jeep that I used rubberized undercoating. Never again. After a year it’s chalky and peeling like rubber. The fenders, inner door panels and floor are raptor liner. Good as new and still hard as a rock.

Comment

I did something similar. I used two pieces of 3/4” plywood. Used liquid nails and screwed them together. Added a couple of layers of fiberglass around the edges to protect them from tree branches, etc. Applied resin to the top and bottom and then coated with herculiner from Lowes. I attached to the roll bar on the same fashion you described. Before sealing the top I installed all the bolts for the clamps and then applied the resin and liner over them. It’s very sturdy.
              Last edited by TXDraht; 12-04-2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I'm going to do something similar, but I'm going to mount a piece of sheet metal I have on top of the plywood.

I already tried attaching the sheet metal directly to the rollbar with those clamps, but the vibration was too much. Lots of noise on bumpy terrain, and some of the clamp bolts loosened up. I'm hoping the ply will dampen/buffer the vibrations without adding too much weight.

Comment

the plywood

Heres the plywood. I went ahead and beveled the rear corners as well. I thought it looked a little better that way.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    Don’t use the rubberized undercoating. It won’t hold up with you walking on it. It will also soften in the heat. Get a raptor liner kit on amazon. Or something similar. Cures hard as a rock and stays that way. Also UV resistant. It will be the best $100 you’ve spent. I have some parts on the exterior of my Jeep that I used rubberized undercoating. Never again. After a year it’s chalky and peeling like rubber. The fenders, inner door panels and floor are raptor liner. Good as new and still hard as a rock.

Yes....don't use undercoating! Rustoleum Bedliner will work fine. Plywood need to be dry, dry, dry!

Comment

Truck Liner

Is this the Truck Liner you guys are talking about using in place of the rubberized undercoat?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nokturnal85 View Post
                        Is this the Truck Liner you guys are talking about using in place of the rubberized undercoat?

That will hold up better than undercoating, but it’s no raptor liner.

Comment

It cones in quarts too and probably cheaper to roll than spray. Follow directions and apply where there’s great ventilation- most are horrible with the chemicals that evaporate. Avoid Herculiner.

Comment

Adjustment to plans

I noticed my original plans were indexed wrong, here is the corrected layout. Also I decided to use truck liner for the top and sides, and rubberized undercoat for the bottom of the roof. I have now applied 2 coats to both top and bottom and there seems to be plenty of "build". I will bolt the roof up tonight and see how it looks. Pics to follow.
                            Attached Files

Comment

got the basic roof installed.

I got the basic roof installed on the mule. Now the process of dressing it up begins.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X