Swhacker or Grim reaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JerryR View Post
    Your speed is going to be around 245-255 fps with your setup. Arrow weight with tip included is around 402 grains +or -. That would put your KE at 55.80 ft lbs and is boarder line for using a grim reaper broadhead. Just stay with the 1 3/8 cut it requires less energy to open.
    So basically you are saying I should raise the poundage? I could probably bump it up 5 more pounds if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by sscheevel15 View Post
      So basically you are saying I should raise the poundage? I could probably bump it up 5 more pounds if need be.
      If you want to increase the poundage it will help. but i dont recomend a 2 inch cut mechanical any brand unless you produce 70 lbs plus ke on your set up. It doesnt mean they wont work but if you add hard bone to the situation it will most likely end badley.

Comment

55 pounds i wouldnt jack with either one. If you wanna big cut and massive blood trails shoot a Grizz Trick. It'll out penetrate either mech you are asking about.

Comment

If you want to increase the poundage it will help. but i dont recomend a 2 inch cut mechanical any brand unless you produce 70 lbs plus ke on your set up. It doesnt mean they wont work but if you add hard bone to the situation it will most likely end badley.
          Hmm.. Interesting. So I should stick with fixed blades until I am able to pull 70#? Thanks for the help by the way, I am somewhat new to bow hunting so any information that helps is great.

Comment

He was meaning producing 70 foot pounds not pulling 70 pounds.

Comment

Hmm.. Interesting. So I should stick with fixed blades until I am able to pull 70#? Thanks for the help by the way, I am somewhat new to bow hunting so any information that helps is great.
              Actually if you listen to Jerry and the many other that know much more about this sport than me, increasing 5 lbs of draw weight is not giving you that big of an energy increase. Energy / Momentum is key to making large BH's get a pass thru on animals. And that's what we all want, a clean pass thru with lots of blood.

I think you missed one key element when you told Jerry about your setup, Arrow weight in grains per inch. You have a 27" draw 27.5" arrow, 5 extra pounds will not gain you much in the speed department but will make it that much harder to draw on a cold morning.

I'd recommend an arrow weighing around 9-10 gpi, then shoot through a chrono so you really know the speed. You can then figure your energy and if you want momentum see Mudslinger, he's got it down pat. He's likely done as much BH testing as anyone who doesn't own a Bowshop.

If it we're me shooting I'd find an 1 3/8 expandable or preferably good Fixed blade 1&1/8 and go with one of those.

BTW...thinks for this thread, it's been too long since we've had a good discussion about Bowhunting.
              Last edited by Slick8; 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Reapers...

Exit wound.

Comment

Looking to buy some new broadheads. I like the swhacker and the grim reaper. What do y'all prefer? And also I shoot at about 55 pound draw weight and shoot carbon express mutinys so would 100 grains be correct?

Here. Try these...

SS Lutz ® blades, 7/8” bleeder blades and Alcatraz™ Bladelock system all married with laser-like flight characteristics you have come to expect from Slick Trick

I think at 55 or any poundage you will be much happier with the results in the end.

Comment

GR gets my vote

Comment

look into spitfires also good bh I like the reaper also that the bh using now?

Comment

Reaper!

Comment

Your speed is going to be around 245-255 fps with your setup. Arrow weight with tip included is around 402 grains +or -. That would put your KE at 55.80 ft lbs and is boarder line for using a grim reaper broadhead. Just stay with the 1 3/8 cut it requires less energy to open.
                          My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                            Actually if you listen to Jerry and the many other that know much more about this sport than me, increasing 5 lbs of draw weight is not giving you that big of an energy increase. Energy / Momentum is key to making large BH's get a pass thru on animals. And that's what we all want, a clean pass thru with lots of blood.

I think you missed one key element when you told Jerry about your setup, Arrow weight in grains per inch. You have a 27" draw 27.5" arrow, 5 extra pounds will not gain you much in the speed department but will make it that much harder to draw on a cold morning.

I'd recommend an arrow weighing around 9-10 gpi, then shoot through a chrono so you really know the speed. You can then figure your energy and if you want momentum see Mudslinger, he's got it down pat. He's likely done as much BH testing as anyone who doesn't own a Bowshop.

If it we're me shooting I'd find an 1 3/8 expandable or preferably good Fixed blade 1&1/8 and go with one of those.

BTW...thinks for this thread, it's been too long since we've had a good discussion about Bowhunting.
                            I agree!

Comment

I agree with almost every post. At 55#'s, it would be better to shoot a smaller expandable or something like the Slick Tricks in an 1 1/8" fixed BH. If your bow is tuned you should have no problem with the Tricks. I shoot a broadhead called the Smoke Ramcat which is an 1 3/8" fixed blade BH. It flies like a field point for me out to 60 yards. You will kill every animal you shoot at with a Rage or Grim Reaper, but on a marginal hit, with that draw weight and trying to opne a big diameter expandable, it is going to be very suspect to a lack of penetration. I have gone from being a speed freak shooting almost every mechanical known to man to shooting a heavy arrow and fixed blades, even looking at going to a COC single bevel head soon. Read Dr. Ashby's post on BH penetration and it will make you think.

Comment

Wendy is drawing about 57lbs on her hunting rig. I wont let her use mechanicals at all. Not enough kinetic energy is being produced. I have her shooting two blade fixed blade broadheads and they do great. She gets great penetration and nothing ever goes far.

Comment

Working...
                                X