Ford aluminum tail gate strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford aluminum tail gate strength

So last night I had a chance to open and close my buddy's 2018 F-150 tailgate. That thing is light! I have an older F250 and frequently have occasion to load a 4-wheeler or golf cart on ramps into the bed. Has anyone tried to do this on one of these new lightweight aluminum tailgates? I feel like it's not strong enough to hold a heavy golf cart. I asked because I'm in the mood for a new truck next year and trying to decide between an aluminum or steel body. I really want a Ford but the aluminum body makes me nervous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a rancher 350 and load and unload it all the time. I have had the Back tires ride on the tailgate for thousands of miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadhender View Post
      I have a rancher 350 and load and unload it all the time. I have had the Back tires ride on the tailgate for thousands of miles.
      On the new aluminum tail gate? Good to know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Had my 700lb Grizzly 660 on the tailgate no issues. Also had a 350lb landscaping rock plus my 240lb fat rear end on the tailgate.

Try taking the tailgate off. You can carry it under one arm like a book it’s so light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Lighter don’t mean weaker. It will hold anything a steal one will hold

Comment

The cables are holding are what’s holding the weight regardless of what the tailgate is made of.

Comment

Following, I have a Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4, and I weigh 275 lbs, and was worried the tailgate might not support my ATV and me. Good to know some of you have had no problems.

Comment

It may hold some weight, just be careful dropping anything on it, that may punch a hole in it. I made that mistake. I picked up a rear axle and tossed it in the back of my stepfather's truck. It was just a light weight 7.5 rear axle out of a Mustang. Did not think anything of it, I have tossed many rear axles in the back of trucks over the years. I thought it was old the axle did not slide any at all, once it landed in the bed, it stopped dead. When I got to the shop to unload it, I found out why, the studs for the shocks punched holes right through the floor. Had two holes in the floor of the truck.

Those aluminum trucks will be better on gas, but not really good work trucks. But most guys don't ever use the beds of their trucks for anything other than hauling flower pots and luggage and what little furniture will fit in those little 5 Ft. and 6 ft. beds, that they like to buy. I am sure most of the guys that buy those trucks won't have a bit of problem with them. But the guys that really use them, will tear them up. I know I would wind up having to replace the bed within a year or two, if someone gave me one, no way I would buy one. That or break out the TIG and weld some 1/8" 6061 T6 aluminum to the floor and front bed wall.

Comment

Working...
                X