Water cistern rifle blind on the cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water cistern rifle blind on the cheap!

Ive decided to turn our old water cistern into a blind since it’s lo longer useable for holding water. So far it’s been made of scrap that I had laying around. The only thing I’ve had to buy is screws. I’ll also have to buy some lexan for the windows.
    Here’s where I am so far.
    The floor was rotting out so it was removed leaving about a 1” lip so I could fasten it to the floor.
    The cistern is 6’ diameter so I made the wood base 6’-3” so I can add some angle brackets around the outside. Incase I decided it needs a little more to fasten it to the base.
    There was a big hole in the side that looked like it was made by some sort of animal so that’s where the door went. Once I got a jig made to match the radius it went pretty quick making the door frame and window frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really digging the 360 degree view

Comment

If for rifle hunting you may want to insulate it some how. I made a blind out of an old water cistern about 30 years ago. I shot one deer out of it, my cousin and my ears rang for days. It is still sitting in the same spot to this day and no one has ever used it for rifle hunting since

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
        If for rifle hunting you may want to insulate it some how. I made a blind out of an old water cistern about 30 years ago. I shot one deer out of it, my cousin and my ears rang for days. It is still sitting in the same spot to this day and no one has ever used it for rifle hunting since

Good point! Yeah I plan on carpeting the inside of it. It’s pretty noisy alright.

Comment

After a long two weeks of work I finally got a few days off to do some more work on the blind. This afternoon I painted the window frames and cut some polycarbonate to fill the holes. I used 3/8” aluminum H mold for the window tracks and .220” polycarbonate. I wrapped the glass edges in the soft part of the Velcro to keep things quiet and to help hold the glass in position.
          Luckily I was able to score some carpet from a buddy and got that started too.
          I glued it on with this stuff I found at Home Depot.
          So far I’m into this whole build for about $160 and all I lack is about 3 more $5 tubes of adhesive as far as buying stuff goes.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Very resourceful. Are you going to put some carpet or something on the window sills?

Comment

Very nice. Used to be on lease that we had some cisterns Barried half way in ground. We bow hunted out of them. It was really cool to hunt that way

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                  Very resourceful. Are you going to put some carpet or something on the window sills?

I’m not sure yet. Since the window sills will be exposed to the elements, birds and squirrels and stuff I may just beep a thin bag in it that I can throw in the window.

Comment

Nice re purpose. Good luck hunting out of it this year.

Comment

Finished up all the loose ends and set it in the sky this evening. Turned out pretty sweet. I’m excited to try it out this year.

Comment

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

well done sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X