Prices then vs now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prices then vs now

The other day I found a hand written list of serial numbers, and prices in my dad's safe. I have no idea of when it was written down. All of the prices caught my eye but several stood out , Winchester 92- 50.00$, Winchester 73- 50.00$, Colt bisley 75.00$. Then there was his go to deer rifle Winchester 88 90.00$. I would go get a lone if I could find those kind of prices.

They seem dirt cheap but in reality when those rifles were new and being marketed that was a lot of money for the average family man. When those rifles were being made a new truck was 2k and in 64 a Mustang was 3.

I remember as a kid hearing a new vette was approaching 20k. I thought no way will that ever sell. Just 5 years earlier my parents had built a 3 bedroom brick house for 32k.

You have a cool piece of family history that should be preserved if possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would like to frame it. It is written on old Santa Fe railroad letter head.

Comment

Maybe that was his inventory list for insurance purposes?

oh look...what is that?

Comment

I always liked finding anything with my dads handwritten notes on it.

Different times.
          I remember the first rifle I bought was a rem 788 6mm for $106. 40 years ago. But now I can buy a great shooting Ruger American .270 for $349. That is a bargain !

Comment

so you dont have any of your Dads old guns on the list? That would be cool if you did but still a cool find. I still have my Dad's old Winchester 88 308(along with the 243 and 284 that I bought latter)

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
              I always liked finding anything with my dads handwritten notes on it.
              I agree. It feels like a little reminder that could have been written and left behind just yesterday.....

Comment

I know how you feel. I found the paper where my dad had bought a used Swiss straight pull bolt action rifle for $19.00.

Comment

I bought a Rem 788 for $67 new, and 870 Wingmaster for $97, or a 700 ADL for $97.
                  I bought 2 top of the line Shakespeare bows (Ocala and Kaibab) for $25 each at Glenn Slades. That is where I got tge 788 also.

Comment

You guys might have a few years on me but I love the first pistol my dad bought for me when I was in high school in the 90s. Browning Hi Power for $225. Still my most accurate auto pistol.. I'll have to ask my dad what he paid for his wingmaster.. it's got the smooth barrel 30" with no vents. That gun has knocked a few birds down in its day!

Comment

Heritage/Legacy pieces are always worth so much more than book, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                        You guys might have a few years on me but I love the first pistol my dad bought for me when I was in high school in the 90s. Browning Hi Power for $225. Still my most accurate auto pistol.. I'll have to ask my dad what he paid for his wingmaster.. it's got the smooth barrel 30" with no vents. That gun has knocked a few birds down in its day!
                        Haha, pretty cool, my parents bought me a Belgium made BHP for high school graduation in 1992! I think it was $400.

Comment

Wish I could remember what I paid for my first rifle - an Iver Johnson .22 Carbine, but I can't recall and definitely don't have the receipt or any paperwork.

The only prices I can remember from being a kid - I used to have a go-cart. This was probably about 40 years ago. I'd weave around the fields on the headlands to get to a little gas station / food mart called Allemans. With a dollar bill, I'd fill my little go-cart gas tank, get a can drink and a bag of chips, and she would give me back a few coins. Man, I feel old now.

All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                            Wish I could remember what I paid for my first rifle - an Iver Johnson .22 Carbine, but I can't recall and definitely don't have the receipt or any paperwork.

The only prices I can remember from being a kid - I used to have a go-cart. This was probably about 40 years ago. I'd weave around the fields on the headlands to get to a little gas station / food mart called Allemans. With a dollar bill, I'd fill my little go-cart gas tank, get a can drink and a bag of chips, and she would give me back a few coins. Man, I feel old now.

All the best,
                            Glenn
                            When I was a little kid, we lived on a 1,214 acre place in Anderson Co. It was not ours, Dad leased it. He could have bought it for $30,000 at one time. Lots of places five acres will cost you that, and more these days. It still boggles my mind.

My first handgun was a Smith .22 Jet that I bought for $91.14 at age 16. I saved up all summer for it. That gun, in good shape, would probably bring $1,000 or more today. One more I wish I still had.....
                            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-06-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              My first handgun was a Smith .22 Jet that I bought for $91.14 at age 16. I saved up all summer for it. That gun, in good shape, would probably bring $1,000 or more today. One more I wish I still had.....
                              There are a few weapons I regret letting go. The most painful regret being a Browning BSS 12 gauge. Beautiful double barrel side-by-side. Single trigger, selectable barrels, fine engravings, beautiful wood. I almost shed a tear every time I think of it. To make matters worse, my 14 year old told me a while back that he had "been looking for one for me". He knows all the particulars, and has actually been looking for one. That choked me up to know my kiddo realizes how much I regret trading that shotgun, and he wants me to have one just like it back one day.

I bought him a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge O/U this year. I hope he appreciates it more during his life than I did early on with that S/S. I'm hoping he holds onto it when he gets older. But it's his to do as he wants with it.... (But I did tell him how much I paid for it. ... so at least he knows the value.)

All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X