X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Bible Portion (Saturday)

Daily Bible Portion – 7 of 7
    "COUNT" (50 Days to Pentecost)

(Weekly Reading>>Numbers 4:21 to 7:89, Judges 13:2-25, Acts 21:17 to 22:29, John 7:53 to 8:11)

Paul and the Nazarite Vow - Acts 18:18; 21:17 to 22:29

The timing of this Scripture in Acts was approximately thirty years after the death and resurrection of Jesus. Paul was reporting back to the Jerusalem council after his last emissary trip in the diaspora where he taught and upheld the teachings of Moses (the gospel/good news) to the House of Israel living among the Nations. In this last trip he had taken a Nazarite vow. Alarmed by the attack coming against Paul’s ministry by those saying that he spoke against the Law of Moses and the Temple, the council advised Paul to fulfill his Nazarite vow at the Temple for all to witness that he did indeed uphold the Law of Moses and the Temple.

Paul devoted his entire redeemed life to Jesus his Messiah and exampled this to the world by correctly teaching Moses and the Temple to all he met wherever he traveled. The five books of Moses were the only teachings the council of Jerusalem upheld as Moses directly revealed the Messiah/Jesus Christ and the way of redemption (Luke 24:27; John 5:46-47; Acts 15:12-41,).

Luke 24:27 "And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he[Jesus] explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself."

John 5:46-47 For if you believed[obeyed] Moses, you would believe[obey] me; for he wrote of me. (47) But if you do not believe[obey] his writings[The Torah], how will you believe[obey] my words?"

Paul complied with the Jerusalem council when he returned to Jerusalem in observance of the commandment that all men were to appear before the Lord/Yahweh three times a year for the Feast Days. The feast Paul returned for was the Feast of Pentecost (Acts 20:16; Deuteronomy 16:16).

In David Stern’s commentary on the New Testament/Brit Chadasha he mentions that approximately 400,000 repented and returned through Paul’s teaching “and all of them are zealous for the Law [of Moses!]” (Acts 21:20). Jesus restored the Covenant that was broken at Mount Sinai during the Feast of Pentecost/Shavuot when the children of Israel bowed down to the golden calf. Paul’s mission was among the Nations, ministering Christ’s Torah/Gospel to these descendants who generations later were still lost to the Covenant/Torah and scattered.

1 Corinthians 10:1-4 "I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ."

Note: Scripture states they were ALL Baptized by Moses. Did they enter in on account of their baptism or did they die in the wilderness due to their disobedience? There was a chance for some to enter into it, but they whom the Gospel was first preached did not enter in on account of disobedience Then let us strive to enter into that rest so that not anyone fall in the same "example" of disobedience(Heb 4:1-11).

1 Corinthians 10:6 Now their experiences serve as "examples" for us so that we won't set our hearts on evil as they did.

1 Corinthians 10:11 These things happened to them to serve as an "example", and they were written down as a warning for us in whom the culmination of the ages has been attained.

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes[obeys] AND is baptized will be saved, but whoever doesn't believe[obey] will be condemned.

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are they who do His commandments, that their authority will be over the Tree of Life, and they may enter in by the gates into the city."

Paul’s sheep where the lost sheep of the House of Israel. He sought them out from among the nations. There they were mistakenly called Gentiles. The people Paul searched for were the same people Jesus/Yeshua was sent to - the Twelve Tribes of Israel who had betrothed themselves to Him at Mount Sinai generations earlier (Jeremiah 31:31; Hebrews 8:8-10; Ezekiel 44:23-24).

Matthew 15:24 “But He [Yeshua/Jesus] answered and said, ‘I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.’”

Ezekiel 34:11-16 For thus says the Lord GOD/Yahweh Elohim: “Indeed I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. As a shepherd seeks out his flock on the day he is among his scattered sheep, so will I seek out My sheep and deliver them from all the places where they were scattered on a cloudy and dark day. And I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land; I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, in the valleys and in all the inhabited places of the country. I will feed them in good pasture, and their fold shall be on the high mountains of Israel. There they shall lie down in a good fold and feed in rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I will feed My flock, and I will make them lie down,” says the Lord GOD/Yahweh Elohim. “I will seek what was lost and bring back what was driven away, bind up the broken and strengthen what was sick;”

Once in Jerusalem, Paul, in agreement with the Jerusalem council’s proposal did the prescribed ceremonial cleansing for the Nazarine vow and then made preparations for all the young men travelling with him in covering all their expenses. This would have included all the offerings for each person, which comprised of one male lamb, one ewe lamb, one ram with their drink offerings and a basket of unleavened bread. This was a substantial amount that would have created a very high public profile and witness that Paul indeed kept the Law of Moses[Torah] and honored the Temple. He demonstrated this, not because he was a Pharisee or “Jewish” as some would say, but that even thirty years after the death and resurrection of Jesus he was absolutely and completely dedicated to the application of all of the Torah and that as his Rabbi Jesus did not teach the rejection or abolishment of the law, nor the commands or principles, neither did he.

Seven days after Paul fulfilled his Nazirite vow, some men from the province of Asia saw him at the Temple and stirred the crowd up by telling them that Paul was the man who taught against the Law of Moses and against the Temple.

What would Paul say if he found the majority of the congregations (believers who say they uphold and follow Jesus) teaching against the Law of Moses and the Temple today? Would the leaders uphold Paul if he walked into their congregations teaching that Moses is relevant for believers today or would he be asked to leave, being told those laws were done away with at the Cross and are legalistic, no longer relevant today? To say this would mean Jesus died in vain and Paul’s life had little or no value. It was lashon hara (slander and gossip) that killed Jesus and lashon hara that would eventually kill Paul.

The Aaronic Priestly Blessing - Numbers 6:22-27

“This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them,

Modern Hebrew Translation:

‘Yevarech’cha Yahweh v’yishmerecha. Ya’er Yahweh panav eleycha viyechuneka.
    Yissah Yahweh panav eleychha veyasem lecha shalom.’

English Translation:

The LORD bless you and keep you;
    The LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
    The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace/shalom.’

Translation from Original Hebrew to English:

The Lord/Yahweh will kneel before you presenting gifts and
    He will guard you with a hedge of protection.
    Yahweh will illuminate the wholeness of His being towards you bringing order and He will provide you with love, sustenance and friendship.
    Yahweh will lift up the wholeness of His being and look upon you and
    He will set in place all you need to be whole and complete.
    So I will put my name on the Israelites and I will bless them.

Moses anointed the altar and dedicated the newly completed Tabernacle. Over the next twelve days each tribe came forward bringing their freewill offerings in praise and thanksgiving to The Lord/Yahweh (Numbers 6:10-88).

new study begings tomorrow...

Paul did not "teach" Moses...he preached Jesus.

Comment

Working...
    X