Opinions/Help on Peep alignment & General setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions/Help on Peep alignment & General setup

I recently got back into bow hunting after a 20 year rifle only period in life. When shooting rifles I want to know that the only factor impacting accuracy is me so I have several custom rifles.

When I bought my new bow I went with a Halon 32 and all high end accessories to ensure any grouping/bad shot issues I could attribute to my form and just stay dedicated to practicing daily.

My bow was setup at the pro-shop and everything seemed good. Fast forward three weeks - my peep sight is rotating, sometimes to the point of almost blocking my sight. I can move my d-loop and somewhat get it back in shape but it seems to always twist.

I have been watching some setup videos on YouTube and most seem to shoot through paper to ensure proper/straight flight, that step was not done.

Any thoughts on getting my peep to stay put? My d-loop is string and just seems flimsy/easy to rotate on string. Should I go for a different type of d-loop (clamp on, etc.)? Also, should I be concerned that an arrow was not shot through paper? Sorry for the long read, I just want to ensure my bow is setup properly in order to go back to blaming me for any 'bad shots or groups!

Personally that is why I shoot a peep with the rubber tubing and run my release directly off of the serving. I don't think there is a way to keep everything from turning.

Comment

If you are running factory strings on your bow they have probably "settled" or "broke in " now & you may have to take it back to the Pro Shop & have them adjust it by putting a twist back in or take one out of your string, or your loop might just need tightening up some to hold it in place.

Comment

For the paper tuning, it's not necessary- if you are getting good arrow flight. Search here for "walk back tuning" , I think Rat may have posted it. Easier, IMO better, and no need to strip vanes.

Comment

Your shop should be able to fix your peep issue pretty quick. Usually just a twist like cg stated.

Comment

Thanks all! I did notice the 'twist' start to come on about 50-75 arrows. It has seemed to settle in like stated. I will have the shop un-tie and reset it. I have noticed it is a little low anyway. When I bought the bow I had pulled back and shot so many that I was a little shaky by the time we set the height! I went in with my mind set on a certain brand/bow and after trying several I felt the most comfortable with this one. Having a shop close by that was willing to put d-loops and a rest on about 6 bows just so I was happy is the only way to go.

I will check out the tuning method mentioned. The bow/me shoot very well at 20 after shooting fairly large at 30. I am guessing if I could shoot 40 in my backyard I would be better at 30 already. But l am new, heck when I bought the bow my 20 yard groups looked horrible.

I just want all issues settled and to be confident by the time bow season gets here!

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw View Post
              Personally that is why I shoot a peep with the rubber tubing and run my release directly off of the serving. I don't think there is a way to keep everything from turning.
              Of course there is a way to get it all lined up.

Have you ever seen the results of one of those rubber tubes breaking or coming off and hitting someone in the eye?

Comment

I want to get some more input on this situation. I took my bow back to the pro-shop and one of the guys put a twist in it and called it good. He said I would have to mess with the peep to make it 'learn'. I tried that out for a few weeks and still had bad issues.

I took the bow back to the shop and another tech said the d-loop was way too loose and replaced it; however, did not take the twist out that was put in previously. I have been shooting the bow 10-20, or more, times a day since I bought it. The new d-loop certainly helped - now I only have to do a small adjustment on the peep location after I knock an arrow.

Is this normal? Should I have to fidget with the peep every time I shoot the bow? For practice it is just annoying, however I can see this being a big problem if I draw while hunting and have a slight rotation.

I am leaving the name of the shop out on purpose. They really have been great to work with, I am just getting frustrated with this issue. Should I have to buy a new custom string setup to take care of this issue on a top shelf bow?

Comment

I may have missed it, but if you haven't got some custom strings I would definitely do that and it will probably solve your problems. I shoot the same bow and until I got my new strings on it I had the same problem. I have shot a lot of Mathews bows, but in my personal opinion their strings are junk and should be replaced... I would also agree for the amount of money you pay for the bow it shouldn't be like that.

Comment

using rubber tube and connecting directly to the string have a lot of inherint problems.

first, i'd expect a new bow string that is set perfectly to start will then change after being shot. Depending on the quality of the string it might quit quickly and stay in the exact same spot or may continue to change for a good bit (while declining quite a bit).

a string loop and adjustment to the bow now that the string is more settled is the proper way to fix that bow. You've gotten good advice in terms of go to your pro shop it's a quick fix and a very normal part of shooting in a new string.

Comment

If you don't think you're getting proper service from your current shop (Whoever it is), take it to Texas Archery (formerly The Bow Zone) and get Richard or Joey to take a look at it for you. These guys are the best in the Bidness, and you will leave a happy customer. Custom strings should not be necessary on a bow that new. Not sure what type of peep you are using either, but a large aperture peep is more forgiving, but may not be as precise an aiming tool as a small diameter peep. There are also different styles of peeps you can try that are more forgiving than some of the others...

Comment

Working...
                      X