Pecan Lodge BBQ... Worth It!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan Lodge BBQ... Worth It!!!

This past weekend Jen and I were in Dallas celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We left Houston on Friday afternoon and headed to Tyler to drop off the 3 knuckleheads so we could have 24 hours of peace and quiet, and enjoy a couple of meals without having to say, "This is a nice place, mind your manners, sit down, how did you get ketchup in your hair, are you kidding me?" If you have raised young kids, you know exactly what I am talking about...

We left Tyler early Saturday morning and I had always wanted to try what people classify as "upper end" BBQ. The only place I can think of that even makes people's list is Cooper's in Llano. Before I have to hear, "Cooper's is over priced crap, and you wasted your money, blah, blah, blah..." It was a fine meal, and their big chop was OUTSTANDING, and 5 years later we still talk about how much we ate on our first visit to Cooper's, it was good!!!

I remembered Pecan Lodge from a review that Legdog had given a while back, and I had seen it on DDD with Guy Fieri. I even sent Leggy a message and asked him about Pecan Lodge, and he said, "... maybe that's a good idea..." As usual, he was spot on. We arrived at the Farmer's Market about 10:15, and we were in line by 10:30, and I think we ordered about 11:15 or so. Our total wait was less than an hour, but I would have waited 2 or 3 hours for the payoff at the end. The food, everything we ate, was fantastic. I dare say the best I have had of everything. I have grown up my whole life in Houston, so its not exactly the BBQ Mecca of Texas, although there is a place called Killen's down in Pearland that is supposedly knocking smoked meats out of the park, we'll see how they stack up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pecan Lodge.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	25011590

I like my brisket moist and tender, but not so tender you think pot roast. If I want pot roast, I'll call my Mother In Law. Brisket, in my opinion, is supposed to hold together and have a good bark. I know, for a fact, this was the best brisket I have ever eaten. It was great...

Name:	Pecan Lodge Brisket.JPG
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	25011592

On the East Side of Houston there is a little joint that has been around for the better part of 30 years called Brother-In-Law's BBQ. They are considered some of the best BBQ in Houston and known for their ribs. Their ribs are too tender, in my opinion. I like my ribs to have a little fight in them. I don't want to shake the bone and have the meat fall off. I have had dry rubs, sticky rubs, and these at Pecan Lodge were sort of sticky on top and cooked perfectly. This was their version of the pork rib, I really wanted a beef rib, but they were sold out!!! Jennifer doesn't eat ribs, but I made her sample these and she even said, "Good Lord that's Good!!!"

Name:	Pecan Lodge Rib.JPG
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	25011593

I have nothing but good things to say about the place. The experience cool, waiting 45 minutes was cool, the build up was cool, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are in Dallas or just passing through, check it out, you won't be disappointed!!!

Name:	Pecan Lodge Plate.JPG
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	25011591

That is the 3 meat plate with Brisket, Pulled Pork, Sausage, and my side of ribs. Another little caveat at Pecan Lodge is their incredible sides. The Mac and Cheese was crazy good, the cole slaw was perfect, and the West Texas Pinto Beans were just stupid tasty. If 5 stars is the standard you want to use, I'd give them 5 stars with NO hesitation.

Ohhh my goodness that looks amazing...

Comment

I have ate there and it is as advertised 5 Star and worth the wait.
      Try the loaded potato if you get a chance.

Comment

I agree with everything you said.

I've eaten bbq all my life, but Pecan Lodge is on another level. I honestly didn't know brisket could taste that good!

Comment

It makes most top 5-10 lists in Texas. I hope to try it soon. Looks legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            It makes most top 5-10 lists in Texas. I hope to try it soon. Looks legit.
            This was the first time I have eaten BBQ, in particular brisket, without sauce. It didn't need it. They don't even serve their food with the sauce. I saw some others dipping their meats, so I guess you have to ask for it?

There was a guy sitting behind us that has done most of the "big name" BBQ joints in Texas; Franklin's, J Mueller, etc. He said Pecan Lodge was right up there with all of them, but the Brisket at Franklin's was better. That stuff at Franklin's must be right... It's next on my list!!!

Comment

We were in town for the UFC fight, we got up early Saturday morning and was there at 9:45 am, we walked in at 10am when the doors opened and was at the front of the line, I was thinking how cool it was to be at the front since I had heard about the long wait, well then I figured out they didn't open until 11am. We waited and I must say the brisket was really good but I didn't care for the ribs at all, Im glad we got to try it but I wouldn't stand in line an hour again. LOL, I guess Im one of the Coopers fans, I will say the only thing I really care for at Coopers is the brisket.

Comment

So you left Tyler, where you could have eaten Stanley's BBQ, and drove to Dallas?

Comment

Originally posted by SMUMan02 View Post
                  So you left Tyler, where you could have eaten Stanley's BBQ, and drove to Dallas?
                  My parents live in Lindale and they kept the kids. We already had reservations in Dallas at Five Sixty on Saturday night. Pecan Lodge was an unexpected stop, just sort of happened!!!

Comment

Tis good.....The Mac n Cheese is crazy good!!

Comment

Tyler. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by SMUMan02 View Post
                        Stanley's is good...but it's no Pecan Lodge

Comment

On the list, man is it ever growing, I'll be lucky to travel anywhere but Texas for a next few years LMAO.....

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            Tyler. LOL.
                            Even I laughed

Comment

They will be moving to a new location pretty soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X