X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
    Make it 3/4 thick and swing it harder. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I whooped my oldest until my arm hurt and it never worked, but then again he went on to become a welder so I was fighting an uphill battle.

Comment

Give him the phone, but lock the charger away. Let him know that due to his lies, once the battery dies the smart phone is being swapped out to a basic flip phone. Setup a points s y stem where each chore he does gives him XX number of points. Once he gets up to a hundred points or so, he gets a smart phone again.

Comment

Butt whooping is effective in some cases but not always. Lots and lots of chores mixed with forcing the 9 year old to do the homework might work. Taking away his stuff one thing/one lie at a time might work. But don't give it back. Make the kid earn it back. Or break the phone with a sledge hammer. I have no children. These are untested theories. So maybe not. Butt whoopings I received from dad and grandma did the trick for me.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          1. Make him dig a hole to his waist.
          2. When he comes in and says hes done make him fill it in.
          3. Repeat
          That's exactly what i did with my son, everyday for a week. And a whole lot of push ups and wall sits. It's a battle of wills, you just have to make sure you win.

Comment

He is 9, your punishment or reward should not exceed his attention span or it simply becomes your burden to bare. Find the one thing he values the most and make him earn it daily through very clear objectives. When he lies punish him with something that he hates or finds disgusting.

We have had similar but manageable issues with our 13 year old. He values his phone like nothing else, it is his lifeline to his friends. If he fails to turn in an assignment, gjves half arsed effort on something, etc....he loses his phone for the next day. What is expected of him is inspected daily. He starts with a clean slate every day. No weeks of grounding, etc.....that just seems like a hole not worth climbing out of, he does better when the finish line is in site all the time.

When he lied about going to a tutorial he was put on dog feces duty for a week. He was to clean it up every day by hand as part of his daily expectations. Poop in the yard, no phone tomorrow. Cleaning toilets for a week has also been effective. My wife is the one who typically checks his expected task so when he misses something she typically will assign an extra task to him from her list of things to do as compensation for wasting her time.

We went to this plan recently because the angry off the cuff responses with long punishment just didn't work. Since this new plan all of his grades are back to A's and he is less stressed because he takes care of things daily so it never piles up leaving him overwhelmed. The added benefit is I think he is learning the habit of taking things as they come and not procrastinating.

Comment

Wall Sits, Push Ups, Flutter Kicks, weeding the garden. I do the physical stuff with him and harass the ever living heck out of him while we go. It's worked, just needs the occasional reminder. Glad I don't have to deal with bad grades or lying, it's more the hormonal attitude now that he is going through puberty.

Comment

I cleared fence lines and chopped weeds a lot when I was young. Got my share of whuppens too.

Comment

Get rid of everything extra. If it's not a NEED. He doesn't have it. It will have to be earned back one at a time and can be removed at any time he does wrong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Buckwheat; 04-04-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    My dad used to make us fill 5 gallon buckets with rocks from the drive way. When we were done he would dump the back out on the driveway and make us start over. Pulling weeds in the garden/flower beds sucked as well. One time he gave me a pair of scissors and had me use them as weed eater along the chain link fence (and it was a big yard).
                    I think we may be related. Took me all day. My dad actually measured the grass to make sure it was even.

Comment

[QUOTE=Buckwheat;12331936]Get rid of everything extra. If it's not a NEED. He doesn't have it. It will have to be earned back one at a time and can be removed at any time he does wrong.

This is what works for us. I've got a bright 11yr old and I know what he values. Take those things away and make him earn them back. If the whoopn's aren't working find out what gets his attention. I bet it's a toy, playing with a buddy, or something with a screen.

Comment

leather belt and a big hug afterwards, repeat every time he lies

Comment

Give him "the look" my dad gave me haha. That with a hardcore butt whooping every now and then and taking away privileges worked on me. You seem like a good parent im sure you'll figure it out.

Comment

Kids are like dogs. Show them the boundaries, show them what you expect, spend lots of time with them doing what's fun for them, show them love when they're good, make corrections when they go out of bounds. (They expect punishment but not too harsh.) I have two. 19 & 17 YO. I couldn't ask for better kids. I feel blessed.

Comment

Manual labor, dig holes, aerate the yard with a screwdriver , weed eat with scissors . Just plain ole work him till he is to tired to be bad.

Comment

I also agree that a 9 year old doesn't need a phone, but none the less...

Discipline don't have to be physical. It has to be effective. Some kids are just tough. Some ain't. Some are content to sit in their room and do nothing. Some it would drive them crazy.

I'd talk to him. Try to reason, if he has reasoning skills.

I'd start taking things away that he loves/likes to do.
                                Phone. Gone.
                                Playing outside. Gone
                                Hunting. Gone (leave his *** at home)
                                Fishing. Gone (leave his *** at home)
                                Sports. Gone
                                Friends. Nope
                                Grandparent. Nope

As you take things away, start adding stuff he'd hate(hopefully).

Add picking up dog poop to the list.
                                mowing the yard.
                                picking weeds.

Heck, volunteer him to do stuff for the neighbors. You don't have a dog, no problem. Bet a neighbor does...

See where I'm going?

You know by now what makes him tick...strike that nerve over and over and over and over...

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X