Question on Duke coon trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Duke coon trap

I attempted to set my Duke coon trap this weekend and don't understand how to set it. It requires a coon to reach in and pull up the lever in the bottom of the trap to set it off.

What do you use as bait? Does the bait need to be in the bottom?
    I had corn in the trap and a small piece of bread with peanut butter.
    The coon ate the peanut butter and corn (except the corn in the bottom)
    What am I doing wrong?

He's a smart raccoon!! LOL!!

I put cat/dog food and mini marshmallows in mine. I fill them to the top and then sprinkle a few tidbits around the area where the trap is...I've had good success with that approach...

Comment

The back of the trap opens. Put the bait behind the trigger. Try a big marshmallow.

Comment

Yup smart coon.

The back of the dukes does not open that I know of.

We just pour in the corn or stuff a marshmallow in the top while holding the trigger open then set it. The trigger sits on top of the marshmallow when you set it. If we use corn or protein, we put corn until it is level with the height of the trigger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00Cuff5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	24514695
        Last edited by Smart; 10-16-2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I use a few small marshmallows in the trap with great success

Comment

Use cat food.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
              He's a smart raccoon!! LOL!!

I put cat/dog food and mini marshmallows in mine. I fill them to the top and then sprinkle a few tidbits around the area where the trap is...I've had good success with that approach...
              This.

I use dog food, too afraid the fishy smell of cat food will attract a skunk.

My traps are push/pull, meaning they can trip whether a coon pushed the leaver or lifts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                This.

I use dog food, too afraid the fishy smell of cat food will attract a skunk.

My traps are push/pull, meaning they can trip whether a coon pushed the leaver or lifts it.

If they can push the trigger then it can catch more than a coon. What makes the Duke traps unique to coons is that the coon will grab the trigger and lift it to get to the bait

Comment

I like to mash a big marshmellow underneath the trigger.

Comment

We have only used corn for the last few years and had no problem. Just pour a little corn inside and that's it.

Comment

I have always used the mini marshmallows throw a few on the ground and put some in the trap. Sweet tooth will get the best of him or her and they will reach in it and try and pull the lever out of the way and bam you got a caught coon on your hands.

Comment

I got to add my two cents' worth---Banana-flavored moon pie is the best bait I've found.

Comment

I have never had any luck with marshmallows... dang ants get to 'em something awful when I try any of the sweet style baits... Dried cat food, dog food, or corn has always worked best for me... Corn can be a problem if you have hogs or turkeys or javelina... They'll all dig at your trap until they can pull it out the ground and dump out the corn... My #1 choice of bait is dried el cheapo cat food... Also sounds like you may be putting too much bait in the trap... just put enough to come up even with the trigger, and scatter a few pieces on the ground... This has always worked very well for me...

Comment

I've used everything mentioned above, except moon pies. I haven't noticed any one working better than the other. I tend to use corn more often, just because it's easier. I don't use as much bait as everyone else though. I don't fill it quite to the trigger, unless I'm using marshmallow. Still a little warm for marshmallow, they get messy. Check the first few pages of the coon carnage thread. Lots of good info there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just plain corn gets them every time

I like to set the trigger stick on the edge of lock and not middle. Become a hair trigger if you must and doesn't require as much pull. Especially if the cuffs get older and are not as clean as they should be like ours

Comment

Working...
                              X