Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default Fresno police kill unarmed white dude- grab your pitch forks

By SCOTT SMITH
Associated Press
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - Despite demands that he "Show both hands!" and shouts that "You're going to get shot man!" a 19-year-old in California refused to pull one hand from behind his back and to stop walking toward Fresno police. Officers then shot him four times, killing him.

Dramatic and graphic body-camera video shows the man, identified as Dylan Noble, was struck twice after he already had gone down from the first two bullets.

"Get on the ground now!" officers continually shout at Noble in the video released by police Wednesday. One yells: "Drop whatever you have in your hand!"

It turned out Noble, who was white, was unarmed and had only a small, empty plastic container with an unknown purpose in his hand, police Chief Jerry Dyer said. Officers, who had been looking for a man with a gun when they pulled him over, had no way of knowing that with his refusal to cooperate, Dyer saud,

One officer shot him twice as Noble yelled that he hated his life. He was still moving his arms, and officers were still shouting for him to stop, as he lay on the ground. Another shot from the same officer and a fourth from a second officer finally made him stop.

At a news conference, Dyer acknowledged the video is gruesome, but he said it was important for the public to see. He said he prays it won't spark violence amid simmering anti-police sentiment in Fresno and elsewhere.

"Tensions are high," Dyer said. "In some cases we are one spark away from a forest fire. And I pray this video doesn't serve as that spark ... This is not a time to become violent."

Dyer said he intended to make the video public last Friday, but he held off because of the shooting deaths of police in Dallas the night before. The video was shown last week to Noble's father and stepfather.

Noble's death on June 25 came more than a week before police killed two black men in shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota. Those shootings last week sparked protests around the country.

The video shows Noble first draws officers' attention when he screeched his truck's tires while they were searching for an armed man.

Noble pulls into a gas station, and officers order him to put both hands out of the window. Noble puts his left hand out the window, concealing his right hand, and officers shout "both your hands!"

Noble gets out of the truck and walks away from officers, at first putting both hands in the air. He turns around and walks toward officers, raising his left hand but putting his right hand behind his back.

He continues to walk toward officers with his right hand concealed and his left hand in the air when the shots began coming.

His mother, who declined to watch the videos, is seeking damages from the city for her son's death.

Stuart Chandler, the attorney for Noble's mother, Veronica Nelson, put out a statement saying that he urged the police chief to release the video Wednesday. "We are pleased to discover from the media that Chief Dyer is belatedly providing the body camera footage to the general public," Chandler said.

Noble's mother and attorney said in a claim filed with the city that the officers used excessive force, and they called the death inexcusable. The claim does not say how much Nelson seeks from the city.

Dyer, who has asked the FBI do its own investigation into the shooting, said he has yet to conclude if officers used excessive force.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Guess this doesent garnish the same attention or outrage...
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Momma refuses to watch video of her kid defying orders repeatedly.
Wants compensation.

What has happened in our education system and society that when a man (or woman) is pointing a gun at you and is yelling at you "YOU ARE GOING TO GET SHOT", your mind says.. "naaaaaah... they be bluffing..."...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Wasn't that about a month ago? I've already protested, blocked traffic in my neighborhood, exchanged my Hands Up Don't Shoot tshirt for a #whitelivesmatter shirt, and moved on.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
ladrones
Pope & Young

At least six million bucks.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Wants compensation.

What has happened in our education system and society that when a man (or woman) is pointing a gun at you and is yelling at you "YOU ARE GOING TO GET SHOT", your mind says.. "naaaaaah... they be bluffing..."...
Based on his comments that his life sucks, I think it was suicide by police.

What is wrong is indicated in the order of your sentence, education and culture. We have things backwards, we have allowed education to usurp and thus influence culture, rather than culture influence education. Along those same lines we have left our kids to be raised by "others" rather than by us as parents.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

not compliant, seems like a good way to get shot.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

This will get swept under the rug because it doesn't fit the narrative.
Bazo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Now somebody from the land of fruits and nuts will start a WLM.
Play stupid games and win a bullet or two or three or four.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Just got done watching that with a coworker and we both said, "That idiot deserved what he got."
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Wasn't that about a month ago? I've already protested, blocked traffic in my neighborhood, exchanged my Hands Up Don't Shoot tshirt for a #whitelivesmatter shirt, and moved on.
Maybe? I just saw it on my local news today
Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Quote:
Hahahaha!!! (big breath).... Hahahaha!!
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Maybe? I just saw it on my local news today
it happened about a month ago... the video footage was just released from the body and dash cams.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Video...

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...e89431417.html

He wanted suicide by cop and got it.
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

They can shoot his *** again and I wouldn't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #15
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

As a white man I am........not outraged by this.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Wants compensation.

Sad story no doubt , That being said I don't think reading comprehension was his strong suit.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydestik View Post
Sad story no doubt , That being said I don't think reading comprehension was his strong suit.
This confused me.
I heard words being yelled... did they hold up signs too?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
breederbuck33
Ten Point

It looks like suicide by cop to me.. He kept reaching even after he was hit twice.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #19
Chew
Pope & Young

June 25th it looks like. I've seen several stories on it. But ni, nowhere near the coverage of a black victim.

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"
Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Good shoot....play chicken with a cop....you lose!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

They should have waited until he produced a gun, and then waited until he fired at them to shoot, just to be sure of his intentions. I also can't believe they didn't run a tox screen and a full psychological battery to be sure he wasn't on drugs or mentally ill before dealing with him. Shooting him when he's down? They should have just gone hands on and attempted to control his arms because after the first shot, it's impossible to fight back. This kid was about to graduate college and earn a Nobel prize.
PSD Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #22
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD Ryan View Post
They should have waited until he produced a gun, and then waited until he fired at them to shoot, just to be sure of his intentions. I also can't believe they didn't run a tox screen and a full psychological battery to be sure he wasn't on drugs or mentally ill before dealing with him. Shooting him when he's down? They should have just gone hands on and attempted to control his arms because after the first shot, it's impossible to fight back. This kid was about to graduate college and earn a Nobel prize.
You forgot "They shoulda shot him in the leg."

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #23
Neck
Pope & Young

There is video from the second officers body cam out too. He shot him the last time with the shotgun. Suicide by cop.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #24
Neck
Pope & Young

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...5b1_video.html
Old 07-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #25
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Nice work by the police officers. They made the correct choice!
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #26
Chew
Pope & Young

Looked like a classic case of suicide by cop.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #27
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

You mean yall don't see this action against someone you've never even seen or met before as a declaration of war against your entire race by the police force?
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #28
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Sorry guys, I watched the body cam and disagree. I don't know the full story why he was pulled over- maybe there was a warrant for his arrest for a violent crime, bench warrant for failure to appear, restraining order and he's just beaten up some woman- I don't know.

The driver's left hand was clearly empty when he held it on the side of his body. Yes, he had his left hand behind his back when the LEO told him to put it up in the air. Yes, he did not lay down when they told him to. That was stupidity that cost him his life.

He could have had a pistol in a rear holster, true.

He made no threatening gesture or a motion that suggests to me that he was removing a weapon from a rear-mounted holster. There was one LEO with a pistol on him, and next to him another LEO with a 12 gauge riot gun aimed at his head.

I think they executed the kid in the parking lot of that gas station. Darn shame he didn't listen to the police. Kinda reminds me of when two San Francisco Police put a drunk guy's head into a concrete wall 5 yards from me when I was working stadium ops at Candlestick for a concert. Another clear example of excessive force.

I'd like to read an LEO's opinion if there was any action that was a threat justifying deadly force. Maybe I did not see it.

BTW, Fresno Country is one of several counties in Cali that issues concealed carry permits upon completion of the application, taking training course, paying the fee.

Last edited by Bill in San Jose; 07-14-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #29
Iehooligan11b
Ten Point

Quote:
You Racist
Iehooligan11b is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #30
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
Sorry guys, I watched the body cam and disagree. I don't know the full story why he was pulled over- maybe there was a warrant for his arrest for a violent crime, bench warrant for failure to appear, restraining order and he's just beaten up some woman- I don't know.

The driver's left hand was clearly empty when he held it on the side of his body. Yes, he had his left hand behind his back when the LEO told him to put it up in the air. Yes, he did not lay down when they told him to. That was stupidity that cost him his life.

He could have had a pistol in a rear holster, true.

He made no threatening gesture or a motion that suggests to me that he was removing a weapon from a rear-mounted holster. There was one LEO with a pistol on him, and next to him another LEO with a 12 gauge riot gun aimed at his head.

I think they executed the kid in the parking lot of that gas station. Darn shame he didn't listen to the police. Kinda reminds me of when two San Francisco Police put a drunk guy's head into a concrete wall 5 yards from me when I was working stadium ops at Candlestick for a concert. Another clear example of excessive force.

I'd like to read an LEO's opinion if there was any action that was a threat justifying deadly force. Maybe I did not see it.

BTW, Fresno Country is one of several counties in Cali that issues concealed carry permits upon completion of the application, taking training course, paying the fee.
This is merely my humble opinion, as i was not there, did not see/hear/feel everything the guys on scene did, don't know their history with this vehicle or suspect, and acknowledging the limitations of body cams.

First off, you've got the initial failure to yield after using both lights and sirens. That's unusual behavior, and the next step is to conduct a felony stop when their vehicle finally stops. Their vehicle is going to stop in one of 3 ways. It stops, it stops and they bail, or they wreck. Something gave this officer a hinky feeling. I usually don't pull my gun until immediately after my unit is in park. If it's out before that, it's cause I've got a gut feeling, and you don't ignore those.

Anyway, they get it stopped and begin the felony stop portion. I dunno know why the officer approached so soon, and by himself. It's irrelevant though. The guy gets out of the truck wearing a loose t shirt and starts walking away and isn't complying. Again, not normal people behavior. He's reaching behind his back, hand out of view. He had a few chances to show his hands and isn't. Time to shoot.

If you've ever done any simunition force on force training, you know how true action beats reaction every time is. If you wait to see if he pulls a gun, by the time you can react, he's already getting shots on you. A tie is a loss, and winning is the only option. Normal people with no intent to harm officers will show their hands when guns are pointed at them, not continue to reach.

OK, so he's on the ground. The last shot, you see him lift the bottom of his shirt with his left hand and put his right hand underneath. Pretty common motion for going for a gun.

Some have argued that the officers should have gone hands on once he was on the ground. I disagree. He's likely armed, so handle the situation from a safe distance until he complies. If he continues to reach for that possible weapon, keep shooting.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #31
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Thank you.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:01 AM   #32
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Something I remember from Infantry AIT that the LEOs might want to try. (but I wouldn't advise it)

As part of our training we had to do guard duty around the post. Those chosen to guard the armory were issued 3 rounds of ammo. No one else was issued ammo.

This as they say is the kicker. Our orders were to "not lock and load until the third round entered our body." I am serious. Not joking.

From what I've seen lately it seems that some of my old DI's may have had children.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #33
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

The army taught you to wait until you've been shot 3 times to return fire? Who let those clowns become instructors?
Old 07-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #34
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

The idiot tree is getting smaller every week as they come in all shapes and colors!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #35
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Quote:
The army taught you to wait until you've been shot 3 times to return fire? Who let those clowns become instructors?
We thought the same thing. The only thing I can think of in their defense is that they felt certain we wouldn't be need to have a fire fight.

But at least by the time they've shot you 3 times you're pretty sure they might be a threat.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 01:08 AM   #36
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
This is merely my humble opinion, as i was not there, did not see/hear/feel everything the guys on scene did, don't know their history with this vehicle or suspect, and acknowledging the limitations of body cams.

First off, you've got the initial failure to yield after using both lights and sirens. That's unusual behavior, and the next step is to conduct a felony stop when their vehicle finally stops. Their vehicle is going to stop in one of 3 ways. It stops, it stops and they bail, or they wreck. Something gave this officer a hinky feeling. I usually don't pull my gun until immediately after my unit is in park. If it's out before that, it's cause I've got a gut feeling, and you don't ignore those.

Anyway, they get it stopped and begin the felony stop portion. I dunno know why the officer approached so soon, and by himself. It's irrelevant though. The guy gets out of the truck wearing a loose t shirt and starts walking away and isn't complying. Again, not normal people behavior. He's reaching behind his back, hand out of view. He had a few chances to show his hands and isn't. Time to shoot.

If you've ever done any simunition force on force training, you know how true action beats reaction every time is. If you wait to see if he pulls a gun, by the time you can react, he's already getting shots on you. A tie is a loss, and winning is the only option. Normal people with no intent to harm officers will show their hands when guns are pointed at them, not continue to reach.

OK, so he's on the ground. The last shot, you see him lift the bottom of his shirt with his left hand and put his right hand underneath. Pretty common motion for going for a gun.

Some have argued that the officers should have gone hands on once he was on the ground. I disagree. He's likely armed, so handle the situation from a safe distance until he complies. If he continues to reach for that possible weapon, keep shooting.
Right on ! I would've shot him too.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #37
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I'm NOT saying the LEO was bad or wrong... But out of all the shooting videos I've seen that cause the national pot stirrer to get involved this was the worse shoot...

And of course since it was a white guy we don't hear about it (besides this thread).

How long was this guys rap sheet? I got 4 to 1 says it was shorter than the last two black "victims"
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #38
locknload
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

They should have tried to talk and calm him down. No taser? Too quick to pull the trigger in my opinion. Then to shoot him 3 times again while lying on the ground? He never exposed or pointed any weapons or showed threat.
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #39
poisonivie
Ten Point

Hunt In: wise co and anywhere I can

Armchair quarterbacks are a dime a dozen.
poisonivie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #40
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivie View Post
Armchair quarterbacks are a dime a dozen.
That ain't no lie
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #41
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivie View Post
Armchair quarterbacks are a PENNY a dozen.
Fixed it for ya!!!
Lordy, just sooo much brilliance being exposed on these emotionally charged incidents. But it is good to know!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #42
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Was the firearm he might have been reaching behind his back for or under his shirt after the first shot took him down found on his body?

The guy was a fool for not listening to the LEO's orders, but remember from the video the officer had a 12 gauge pointed at the guy at the time.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #43
Ham Slammer
Eight Point

Hunt In: East and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I'm NOT saying the LEO was bad or wrong... But out of all the shooting videos I've seen that cause the national pot stirrer to get involved this was the worse shoot...

And of course since it was a white guy we don't hear about it (besides this thread).

How long was this guys rap sheet? I got 4 to 1 says it was shorter than the last two black "victims"
What do you base that on? I don't know much about this case, but I'm not sure I'd make such a claim. Also, what does his "rap sheet" have to do with anything anyway? The longer the record, the less their life matters and the more justified a cop would be for killing in cold blood? A bad shoot is a bad shoot, no matter who it happens to. I wrote a long reply here but deleted most of it. All I'll say is both sides of the aisle should wait for the investigation to be completed before armchair quarterbacking. I will make no claims about whether or not ANY shooting was justified because I wasn't there. This site easily snoballs into the same level of discourse as the left holds every time this happens, with an opposite viewpoint.
Ham Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #44
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrover View Post
fixed it for ya!!!
lordy, just sooo much brilliance being exposed on these emotionally charged incidents. But it is good to know!
x10
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top