No announcement yet.

Asking/Negotiating a Raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know your value and don’t be afraid to ask for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      You articulated your case pretty well in your post. In case you get nervous and uptight when asking the boss something as critical as a raise, I suggest you put the request in writing and express your reasons as you have with us. Give him/her the written request when asking for a meeting to discuss your request. That way, it will not catch him off-guard and will give him/her an opportunity to mull it over without putting him on the spot with no warning.
      The part mentioned in the above quote of letting the manager being made aware of your request in detail prior to your meeting isn't a bad idea. This is more professional and avoids him/her being blind sided from such an important topic. Keep it open and honest as many others have stated. Good luck!

Comment

I ask for a raise weekly!

How longs it been since you've had a raise?

Can you use the truck for personal travels and off-work activities?

Comment

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

If anyone is qualified to speak on this subject regarding the industry you are in its Curt. He doesn’t BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I probably should have left a long time ago. Heard a story on Fox that said the best way to increase your salary is to change companies every 18 months.

I did this in the auto parts business.....

Comment

Not the same industry, but my daughter came to me for advice in the exact same situation. Had gotten periodic raises but felt she was underpaid. Also had a good relationship with her boss and didn't want to screw it up. Told her to just go have an honest conversation. End result she got a raise and her relationship with her boss has gotten even better, now that they are more comfortable being honest with each other.

Comment

Be objective.
                  Research average salaries for your occupation on google.
                  Break it down by region if you can.
                  See if you are way down on the scale.
                  If so, ask that you be paid what the market commands for your skill set in your region.

This will either get you an increase or an invitation to look elsewhere.

Comment

I too was in a similar situation. As previously stated have a back up plan just in case. I was promised a raise after a trial period and didn’t get it. I kept working hard and got made a foreman and was promised a raise with that as well. I didn’t get that either. I really enjoyed the job and the boss. Finally I brought up the fact that I hadn’t received the raises I was promised. I was floored when they offered me a raise lower than the initial one I was promised. I was polite and told them I’m sorry but that’s not was discussed and informed them that this was my two weeks notice. I was told not to bother and sent home. 48 hours later I was working for the larger company they were contracted under. Apparently my work in the job site spoke for its self. Three weeks later I was over seeing one of the jobs that they had bid for. It was only then that my worth was realized by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So it's been two weeks.....what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Just lay it out as you mentioned. If you're right, I bet you'll get the raise. If you're wrong, I bet you'll get some information that you may not have been aware of regarding your position, work quality or market replacement value of your position.

I've always TRIED to pay people what they think they're worth, but sometime can't get past what I think they're worth. The two don't always match up. It embarrasses me when someone asks me for a raise and they deserve it and I failed to recognize it. On the other hand, it sometimes embarrasses an employee when he fails to recognize that he's already paid what he's worth. If you're confident in your position, then you need to address it with your boss just like you explained it above. If he tells you to kick rocks, email your resume to hr@joslintexas.com.
                        Just go in prepared. Make sure you know what other people make, not that you can say "Hey Bob makes "X" and I work harder than Bob" But you need to know what you're really worth.

Most people think they're worth a lot more than they are. Most employers think employees are over paid

But I promise IF you are worth more they will pay you more. But they won't just hand over the money for two reasons. One is I'm sure they're busy and it doesn't cross their mind. Another is if they give one person a raise others find out and going down that road stinks because all employees feel they deserve more than their fellow co workers.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          So it's been two weeks.....what happened?
                          skeleton found.

Comment

Working...
                          X