No announcement yet.

Matador wma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW That is incredible. Nice job I'm excited to say the least.

Comment

Green and lush on the Matador as well as the majority of North Texas. Try to scout from an advantage point with sun to your back over grassy meadows, you will see them. It's a matter of getting close enough to put an arrow in. Love hunting there if I could ever get drawn again.

Comment

Originally posted by bucknuts View Post
        WOW That is incredible. Nice job I'm excited to say the least.
        Thanks, but that was the last deer there. There are no deer left at Matador. No need for anyone else to apply. Nothing left but hoot owls and polecats.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
          Thanks, but that was the last deer there. There are no deer left at Matador. No need for anyone else to apply. Nothing left but hoot owls and polecats.
          UH huh.... I'm here now....looks awesome. I'm thinking lone canyon or samson or north middle. I don't really care. Never hunted this type of terrain its going to be a blast.

Comment

Good luck man! Hope ya get a nice one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BMC View Post
              Good luck man! Hope ya get a nice one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Hey Man...lol... Thanks im guna try to get it done. Its sweet out here.

Comment

So... Having a great hunt at Matador. I spent Tuesday morning glassing from the east side of lone canyon looking west. A soon as the sun hit the west side i spotted a spike . Then 5 minutes later 3 bucks. One small two almost legal . Hard to tell at that distance. I watched them feed into a draw then hauled it across canyon. Made my way up the other side and glassed them again. Some how i ended up above them. I eased around a cedar and there they were 10 yards below me with there heads down. Still cannot tell if i can shoot. Two bucks move behind a cedar and i wait. The bigger buck comes around the cedar and spots me. Bounds off to 30 yards. I got a good look then. Not legal as far as i could tell. I accomplished what i came to do even without a kill. I'm seeing deer everyday . And i saw a good buck Wednesday at dark. I have one more day. I have never hunted mule deer before but i think i have found a new passion.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

sounds like you did it right, good luck tomorrow.

Comment

How did it go today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TCodyAg View Post
                        How did it go today?

Well... I parked at the first windmill in lone canyon around 7. Eased my way down a draw running east to west. Waited for the sun then glassed the west again where i had been seeing deer. Waited till 9 with nothing happening. So i decided to go where no man has been before...In the center of lone canyon there was a big draw that splits the canyon running north. I climbed it ,ate breakfest and saw a whitetail spike below. Must have seen me. So i continued north with the cold front in my face. Wind blowing good. Came around a bend and saw a doe at 30 yards with her back to me. I sneaked around her to avoid jumping her. Made it past her and glassed north. I pull up my binos and there stands a great buck well outside the ears .200 yards. Now this is the thickest place on top of that draw. Much like a big whitetail he knows how to stay hidden. So i stalked through the thick cedars very slowly making my way north. Long story short i never saw him again. But i kicked myself for not hunting this way from day one. Its funny how after a few days out of the concrete jungle you get into predator mode . And i seem to figure out where i should have been hunting all along on the last day. It was a great experience for a pine thicket hunting, Louisiana boy. I think i did great for a mule deer virgin. But all the info on this site sure helped. I cant wait to go back. Stay in the shadows. Wind in your face. Hunt all day and find the thickets draws. You will find a good buck.

Comment

Nice. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtfish View Post
                            hunt lone canyon it has alot of draws you can hunt.
                            By the way, thanks Dirtfish.

Comment

Originally posted by bucknuts View Post
                              I cant wait to go back.
                              Count your blessings you got picked at all, been waiting to go back since 2005... pffft new draw system SUCKS!

Comment

Bucknuts, This is Kenny the guy that shot the buck on the first morning and gave you info on how to hunt long canyon! Had a good time talking with you and sharing my hunt and info on the Matador WMA with you! Hope it helped you out and I hope you got hooked on hunting the muledeer for life! Hope to hunt some place again with you sometime!

Comment

Working...
                                X