Sandy soil improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandy soil improvement?

I've got "sandy loam" soil where I live, emphasis more on the "sandy." I've put in a vegetable garden now two years in a row. Last year went pretty well, this year not as much. A bunch of my stuff didn't come up, and what came up got hammered by grasshoppers. Didn't have hoppers last year.

I have bumper crop of ragweed growing as well.

I'd like to improve my soil a bit in terms of holding moisture and nutrients. I tilled in some 13/13/13 fertilizer in January, but I couldn't tell that it made much difference, unless that's why my cucumbers, zucchini, and corn didn't come up.

I'm thinking of roundup for the whole thing after the growing season, then tilling in some mulched wood chips this fall. Good idea? Bad idea? What other soil or garden improvements can the green screen suggest?

Your best bet is to send soil samples off for analysis. They will tell you exactly what you need.

Comment

Is this a raised bed?

Solid sample is the first step but a google search would also help.

Add 3-4 inches of organic material and work it into the soil. Pitch fork and turn the soil over mixing the organics in well.

Comment

The soil may have serious pH issues in that area, in addition to lack of nitrogen

Comment

Not a raised bed, just tilled up dirt. It has been a garden since at least 2003 based on aerial photos, but I just got it in 2015.

Comment

I'll add, don't use roundup. Using it with just contaminate the soil more.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              I'll add, don't use roundup. Using it with just contaminate the soil more.
              Won't the poison in round up be effectively gone in about two weeks?

Comment

In that soil you probably have low Ph. Adding lime would likely help.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                  Won't the poison in round up be effectively gone in about two weeks?
                  Don't know. I've also heard it's bad for the soil and if you want stuff to grow improve your soil.

Comment

Roundup will not hurt your soil. It was invinted for farmers. Get a soil sample op. Your local feed store can help you with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You need lime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Soil sample and test is paramount.
                        Roundup acts on green leaf only, no residual in soil. This doesn't mean it needs to be used in your case.
                        Till in literally anything you have growing there to help build soil, but keep in mind you have " legacy " seeds that will germinate any time you turn the ground over.
                        I'm no gardener, but I do plant lots of food plots and it's the same principal, different crops.
                        IF I WERE to start a garden, after the soil test and results I would amend the soil with lime if needed, till it in, and till it lightly several times before I planted next spring. Tilling has much the same results as using chemical to kill unwanted plants. That is, they come up, you till them under, it builds your soil and when you plant you will have less competition from weeds, etc. Whatever weeds and grasses you wind up with, hoe them out. It takes lots of elbow grease to keep a garden free of weeds and grass.

Comment

This winter if you know someone bagging leaves, grab several bags of them to till into soil.

Comment

We live in sandy soil as well and like to garden. Each fall we rake up all the leaves and put them into a ring made of fencing. Wet them and turn them once a week and by spring you'll have great compost for your garden. We also are using raised beds.

Richard.

Comment

Send a sample to texas am the will analyze for a very small fee and tell you what you need to do. Your soil could be lacking certain minerals or many other things.
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X