Another House Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    switched plugs in the eaves for Christmas lights. I also like the idea of an actual conduit in the wall where your TV will be to make it easier to pull wire from DVD/Sat etc to the TV if you mount it on the wall

In addition to the eace plugs, put some down in the exterior wall as well for yard lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Spray foam insulation for sure. No need for rigid metal duct as that will drive the cost up significantly.

I believe it’s against code to put water heaters in the attic anymore. Consider either a tankless water heater or 2 tank style with a circulating loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        Our bid is for stained real wood doors, I would think they are solid but I will have to check into it.
        If you're going to paint the doors, you'll be better off with "solid core". Same benefits and feel. Less cost. No warping/swelling. Either way, solid wood should not warp or swell on interior with central HVAC.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
          If you're going to paint the doors, you'll be better off with "solid core". Same benefits and feel. Less cost. No warping/swelling. Either way, solid wood should not warp or swell on interior with central HVAC.
          The doors will be stained.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            switched plugs in the eaves for Christmas lights. I also like the idea of an actual conduit in the wall where your TV will be to make it easier to pull wire from DVD/Sat etc to the TV if you mount it on the wall
            I am not picturing this in my head?!?

Comment

We have a back porch, I already planned for the gas but didnt think about the hot water back there just the carport. Thanks

Haven't looked into reverse osmosis what are costs and benefits?
              Re Rev Os: Better quality water for consumption. Just loop the cold water supply from under the kitchen sink over to the refrigerator supply. You can decide to install it at a later time and all water for consumption is treated.

Water heaters in attic spaces are not against our codes.

Suggest using 1"-1.5" conduit at all tv & technology locations from the wall location up to the attic. Gives you more flexibility for the future. At least 2 conduit drops at your security panel location & don't forget to have a 110v outlet wired at or next to your security panel.

Want to save $ on the in-wall prep for hanging mounts? Instead of buying all of that excessive plywood sheathing, use the scrap 2x joist/roofing framing material and block between the studs only where it's likely to hang mounts.

Comment

I am not picturing this in my head?!?
                Just a plain plug in the eave on the exterior of the home. The plug is switched (like a light) so that when you put the lights up all momma has to do is flip the switch. No need to run around each day plugging and un-plugging.

The conduit I havent seen just something I'll do when I build. 3/4 or 1" PVC strapped to a stud in the wall where you plan on putting the TV. Near the floor a junction box and a second box at TV height with the conduit connecting them. Plugs at both heights for the TV, DVD etc. This way all your wires are inside the pipe in the wall and if you need to add more youre not fighting the attic, insulation etc. 15 dollar cost and huge time saver.

Its prolly the former electrician in me

Comment

When pricing stuff for our house solid core door we’re not cheaper than typical hollow core doors.

Hollow core doors are what is typical in residential construction. Can’t say I’ve ever seen one warp in a house with central HVAC.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      When pricing stuff for our house solid core door we’re not cheaper than typical hollow core doors.

Hollow core doors are what is typical in residential construction. Can’t say I’ve ever seen one warp in a house with central HVAC.

I buy both every week. A typical 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bath house at 3,300-3,600 sqft will run $1850 in builders cost to upgrade from hollow core to solid core door units with casings.

If there is no price difference in your area, I'd sure like to purchase from them (assuming they are not over priced on the hollow core).

Comment

Solid core is +$ vs hollow core.

Comment

I buy both every week. A typical 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bath house at 3,300-3,600 sqft will run $1850 in builders cost to upgrade from hollow core to solid core door units with casings.

If there is no price difference in your area, I'd sure like to purchase from them (assuming they are not over priced on the hollow core).

Huh? I said solid core is NOT cheaper than hollow core which you just confirmed. But in your post that I quoted it sounded like you were saying solid core was cheaper. Maybe I misread what you were saying?

Comment

Huh? I said solid core is NOT cheaper than hollow core which you just confirmed. But in your post that I quoted it sounded like you were saying solid core was cheaper. Maybe I misread what you were saying?

No Sir. Appears we are in agreement on the 2 products.

Comment

Got the forms started yesterday!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Building in city limits?

No, but we are building in a subdivision with a ARB (architectural review board). They asked for a lot of stuff that we didn't have ready. It slowed us down a bit but we cleared the land last week and we should get everything submitted to them this week. Hopefully we'll get the final construction green light and be building our pad and setting forms in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X