I'm in need of some major advice,,,,,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in need of some major advice,,,,,,,

So I'm going to rent a lens for my trip. What distance ranges should I expect in Maverick County? 75 yards, 100 yards more or less ??? What would be a good lens to take? EF 70-200 f/2.8,,,,,EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6,,,,EF 300 f/4?????? I'm getting dizzy thinking this much. Mainly because I don't have a clue. You guys take such great photos, surely someone has some advice for a rookie?

You bowhunting?

Comment

If you think you'll be trying to get shots while driving around the place during the day, do the 100-400 or the 300. The 100-400 is more versatile, but will require more light. The 300 is a very nice lens. I have it.

If you plan to only get shots from the blind, the 70-200 might work well. You'll have deer closer and you'll be wanting to shoot in lower light conditions.

Comment

I have the EF 70-200 f/2.8 and it is a great lens and yes I take these shots from a blind as Casey mentioned and with lower light conditions. Awesome lens. If you are shooting longer distances though and lighter conditions then go with the bigger lens. I get some real good shots with the 70 -200 up to about 150 yards then it is reaching about its max for a good quality shot.

Comment

The 100-400 weighs 3 pounds according to the specs but it feels like much more. Great lens but I'm suggesting a monopod for lower light conditions. I shoot mostly in AV and can quickly bump the ISO to gain a little shutter speed.

Comment

See. I'm so excited I forgot to mention that I'll probably be using both the rifle and bow. Bow for the first full day then maybe both. I need some meat, and this is the first time ever to this place. I don't know what to expect as far as distances. I'm hoping they have some bow blinds over feeders, so I could get really close to some game. I would hate to take a lens that won't do well in low light, my luck that is when I'll have the best targets. It's a gamble either way. I may never get another chance like this, and don't want to blow it. I was hoping for a good all around lens option. Iknow, I know, without details it's probably anyones guess.

Comment

IMO the 100-400 is the best "all around" lens you can have for wildlife photography. A friend of mind has the 28-300 and its nice, but its HUGE and heavy.

Comment

I would rent the 100-400mm to cover 75-200 yards. Keep your lower range lens close by, ready to go, and swap them out if the photography moment gets in close and personal.

I carry two camera bodies, one long range and one mid-range. Long range is a fixed 300mm on #1 and close to mid-long 75-300mm on #2.

Comment

Thanks. Sounds like some solid advice. I really appreciate everyone taking time to give their input. Now all I have to do is wait until Jan., 6th. I don't have much patience, but this is worth waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechAssassin View Post
                    See. I'm so excited I forgot to mention that I'll probably be using both the rifle and bow. Bow for the first full day then maybe both. I need some meat, and this is the first time ever to this place. I don't know what to expect as far as distances. I'm hoping they have some bow blinds over feeders, so I could get really close to some game. I would hate to take a lens that won't do well in low light, my luck that is when I'll have the best targets. It's a gamble either way. I may never get another chance like this, and don't want to blow it. I was hoping for a good all around lens option. Iknow, I know, without details it's probably anyones guess.

Cheers!
                    Valikie
                    Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate.
                    Excellent ! I like it very much.

Comment

I personally am a big fan of the 300 f/4 with a 1.4 extender, and will hopefully buy it soon so I can stop renting it. I have taken some excellent shots with it on a tripod in low light situations once I figured out that you need to use manual focus in low light because the lens won't focus and the camera won't take a picture if you leave it in autofocus. If you're really worried about low light though, the 70-200 f/2.8 is a great lens and the 2.8 helps in low light situations. Another option that I haven't tried yet is the 200mm f/2.8 with an extender. It would give you the low light capability and the ability to have a 300mm f/3.5 or f/4, can't remember how it jumps off the top of my head. I have heard great things about the 200 f/2.8 and it should be quick in low light.

Comment

Working...
                      X