Flu flu advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu flu advice?

I'm trying to find some for me and the mrs. I shoot a GT warrior 500 spine and she shoot a 600 spine. Should they be the same length as our regular arrows? I figure at least close to the same spine right? I really didn't find many premade or cut to length options out there. Spiral or helical fletching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tag.

Comment

I spiral wrap some and straight fletch others. The spirals slow them down a lot faster. They will have a stiffening effect on your arrows.
      I use the spirals only for aerial shots. For ground shots I use 4 fletch with 4 inch feathers made from full length feathers.

Comment

I never checked spine. Just grab and shoot.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pile of un-cut 4 inch feathers. Would be glad to give you some if you want to fletch your own.

I use 4 four inch fletch for flu flu's.

You want some feathers just pm me an address to mail them to.

Comment

The thing about flu flu's, is that you are normally shooting them up in the air a flying targets, or maybe squirrels in trees. They don't have to as perfect as a hunting arrow.

Because they have so much fletching on the back, all that surface area will correct for almost any spine and normal tuning issue. And if it wobbles a bit, who cares? It's not like you need perfect flight for max penetration on a bird or foam disk in the air.

I take my old, odd arrows, and just use them. Best of luck.

Comment

A flu-flu's feathers will lay flat when shot initially, but will induce drag once it hits about 10 yards or so (depending on how you fletch, how much, etc.) Because these are short shots (under 10 yards) I don't worry about spine as much when it comes to accuracy as Chunky pointed out... but I do make sure that I am not so underspined or under weight as to cause a broken arrow or damage the bow. I'll use 600 spine if they are aluminum, but not carbon for my 50# bow. The aluminums are both heavier and I'm not concerned with snapping a shaft. I'll also hand guys like Chunky, who shoot a 60# bow, those 600 spine alums because again, they are pretty heavy. I wouldn't hand him a 600 spine carbon flu-flu though, way underspined and underweight.

Comment

When I made a few for myself I just took the exact same arrow I use for hunting deer/hogs and instead of fletching with three 5" shield cut feathers I used four 5" uncut ones. Right helical for both as that's the jig that I have.

Richard.

Comment

Working...
                X