On X Hunt App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On X Hunt App

Anyone using it? I have it now and have mapped a few of my hunting properties with stands, etc. It seems it will prove useful even in a lease situation rather than hiking in the mountains or trying to locate landowners.

Just curious what the rest of you that have it are doing with it.

I just got it...love it...Rinella and the hunting public boys use it...I love the wind function and the id of land owner...very useful!! I can see it really coming in handy!!

Comment

I’ve been using it to scout for my elk hunt it’s an awesome app plus you can download offline maps for when you don’t have service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I've heard from some guys that use both, HuntStand's property boundaries are more current and accurate than OnX.

Comment

Been using it over a year. It's great for tagging locations of everything I encounter on the properties I hunt. Helps to go back later and look at the maps and sign I observed to get a better picture. Also the property owner info has proven to be extremely useful for work and other non-hunting related activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            From what I've heard from some guys that use both, HuntStand's property boundaries are more current and accurate than OnX.

I have em both and notice the HuntStand to be more accurate as well. Bought the yearly subscription so will play em both against each other and decide end of season. Like different aspects of em both.

Comment

I’ve been using it since they released the app.

Just this year I’m already used it in three state. I used it this weekend to measure food plots to make sure I got enough seed.

Comment

There is 0 signal out where I hunt in the hill country so I downloaded the satellite and topo maps. Not that I don't know my way around the property, but for example when stalking along a hill side it's nice to see where there is a clearing to move through. I also use it to lay breadcrumb tracks that help for moving in the dark through certain areas that may not have trails, super thick, etc.

For scouting for western hunts/public land hunts it's incredibly useful with the different layers available. Wilderness areas, previous wildfires, property owners (ex: different rules for BLM vs State Land Trust and the two certainly aren't always marked).

I even use it in my daily job of real estate to see property lines.

Comment

Been using onx for a good while now. Proved to be invaluable on my AK moose hunt this year. The offline maps are hands down better than any gps. Has also helped in being successful on numerous hunts out west. Honestly it is a total game changer when going in blind to a new place. I use it a little bit here at our ranch to mark scrapes and beds along trails.

Comment

I use OnX for public land hunting

Of course, the best tools for a deer hunter and a private land deer hunter or someone on a lease would be the website - https://thehuntersight.com

Casey- I think you would really like "The Hunter Sight's" Hunt Club feature which is perfect for guys on a lease

The other tools included for hunting properties are way more useful than just having a satellite map with gps. Scout look also offers a free satellite map app if you are just wanting for gps reasons. Huntstand does as well

Personally I use OnX for Western hunting and the occasional public land hunt in Texas. I use thehuntersight.com for all my deer hunting needs on private land.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Se9EzVcMyg"]The Hunter Sight-'The Jack of all Trades for your Hunting Needs' - YouTube[/ame]
                    Last edited by Beargrasstx; 10-15-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Yep. I have the highest paid version! I use it at my lease, on public land and also for fishing.
                      I really like that you can mark spots and then log in from your PC and see the spots on a bigger map.
                      I also like that it list landowners which helps when trying to ask for permission to hunt or asking to lease.

Comment

I have used them for years Casey. Initially the micro-SD card in my Garmin Rino and now the annual fee for my state using the app. Paying the annual fee for the app includes updates to my Garmin.

For me, hunting in this country, it has been the best tool in my bag. I use it all the time and love it.

Comment

You can also send GPS points to other OnX users, and they can open up the points in their app.

Comment

I use it in all my out of state public land hunts. I will say i bought a place for a cabin in new mexico and one of the corner stakes is way off from onx. And my hunting spot in colorado has several spots that are 100 yards plus off from marked property lines. Whether thats onx/county lines off/property owners lines off/ or gps off i dont know. Game warden never gave a straight answer. And the map for the public land area from colorado fish and game says in small print the boundries on map are a guide but not definite.
                            Or something to that wording.

Comment

Leon County Texas the records are not right but not OnX fault. Basically OnX or HuntStand etc get their records from each county in the US. Most likely they are getting their information from a few companies that have API's that market this information and sell to companies like OnX and Huntstand for a yearly price to lease the information.

Most of the records are 95% to 97% accurate for the US. Just depends which company they are paying for the information and the last time that company updated their information.

It isn't perfect but it is better than nothing. If a few of you fellas would give https://thehuntersight.com a try. I would be able to afford to provide that same service. It cost a pretty good chunk of money a year to get those records. Then you have to use a web developer to code it with your satellite mapping.

I do like OnX overall and have been using them since 2015 for western hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X