Would you have done the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you have done the same?

So let me set this up right quick. The wife and I are in Wendys eating lunch, I see this typical looking homeless guy pushing a grocery cart full of stuff up to the wall. Now here is where I really feel bad for the guy, there were two kids ( 16 to 18 years old ) at the table next to us. one of them dropped a chicken nugget on the floor and just left it. About the time they were leaving homeless comes in, he spots the cn and walks over, picked it up and eats it. Then he goes to a trash can in the corner and digs out left overs and sits at a table and begins to eat. I tell the wife what I just witnessed and said I was going to give him some money. I started that way with money in hand, I was about 10 feet from him about to introduce myself and make the offer when he reached in his pocket and pulled out what looked to be an iPhone 8 and started checking text messages. I walked right on past him and out the door.

I mean i didn't feel nearly as sorry for him as when I first saw him.

What would you have done?

Wow………………..I guess EVERYBODY is truly wired!!!!

Comment

Yep I probably would have kept walking.

Comment

He could probably work at that Wendy's if he really wanted to. Much easier to do nothing. I dont feel sorry for any of them. And NEVER feel like enabling them more.

Comment

That’s a tough one and without being there I’m not sure what I would’ve done.
          As I sit here at home I tend to think I would’ve done the same as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
            He could probably work at that Wendy's if he really wanted to. Much easier to do nothing. I dont feel sorry for any of them. And NEVER feel like enabling them more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              That’s a tough one and without being there I’m not sure what I would’ve done.
              As I sit here at home I tend to think I would’ve done the same as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I follow your lead on that one! Many are mentally ill and I can understand the plight they are living. I have seen both sides and never put all or none conclusions on that sub-set of folks. heck, I love the ones that have signs that say I just want a BEER! I give them something everytime………...lol!!!

Comment

Most of the time they are homeless because of drugs and/or mental illness. Still tough to watch someone eat food out of a trash can in the USA. You probably could have bought him something to eat. I don't think he was to picky! I would never give them cash! JMO.

Comment

They all have brand new cell phones and a group of them will get together on the family plan. I get to interact with them quite a bit and trust me, at least in my neck of the woods, most of them have more cash in their pocket than you do. I’ll never give money but would give food.
                  Last edited by whiplash; 05-31-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    I follow your lead on that one! Many are mentally ill and I can understand the plight they are living. I have seen both sides and never put all or none conclusions on that sub-set of folks. heck, I love the ones that have signs that say I just want a BEER! I give them something everytime………...lol!!!
                    The only homeless guy I've ever given money to was at 45 and 1960. His sign said, "I need bug spray". I laughed so hard I made the U-turn and went back to give him $5.

The OP reminds me of a girl I saw on BW8 with a sign about her kids needing food, dad died/left her, etc. She was using the sign to block the sun so she could see her phone screen.

Comment

I'll buy food, but no cash.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                        The only homeless guy I've ever given money to was at 45 and 1960. His sign said, "I need bug spray". I laughed so hard I made the U-turn and went back to give him $5.

The OP reminds me of a girl I saw on BW8 with a sign about her kids needing food, dad died/left her, etc. She was using the sign to block the sun so she could see her phone screen.
                        BAM...……...that would have had me rolling also!!!

Comment

A lot of our urban outdoorsmen have dogs as well. Big ol fat pit bulls. Always makes me laugh. A big pot bellied man next to a big potbellied dog.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post

I saw one in the same spot last year and his sign said "family was kidnapped by Ninjas, need money for karate lessons"! Lol

Comment

I think my instincts would have been the same as yours. I would have initially wanted to help just like you did. Some folks are just wired differently. I offered a guy a job once because he was holding up a sign saying "need work". He didn't even ask me what the job was he just said "no thanks." I said, "well your sign says you need a job." Then he asked me how much it paid. I told him $15 and hour and he could work all day if he wanted. He again said no thanks then added, "I make way more than that standing here."

Comment

Working...
                              X