Big buck near Wimberley TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big buck near Wimberley TX

Had an invite from a friend of ours to go hunt some family land (40 acres low fence) near Wimberley. I was only allowed to bring a bow. No one had been there in a long while and no feeders or stands set up. I had no idea what was going to happen but I figured if anything I would be lucky to see a doe.
    I brought a popup and a tripod along with a few bags of corn and record rack. I had three days to kill a deer and day one started at 4:30 pm Friday.
    After setting up my popup and brushing in under a large oak and throwing a bucket of feed out I waited and waited.....nothing. Saturday morning I went in early after throwing my bucket of feed and scaring a few deer in the process I hunkered down in the popup and waited. By 7:30am I had two doe that wouldn’t come within 50 yards of that popup, of course the big one was stomping raising and lowering her head non stop just staring into the popup. I had pretty much given up at this point as they walked off with no opportunity of a shot.
    Saturday afternoon my wife had a few things she wanted to do in Johnson city and Marble falls so we took off for some wine tasting and whatnot. The whole time I’m thinking of what I need to do to make this work. I figure maybe I’ll take down that popup and throw my tripod up in the same oak. I mull it over and look at the wind and finally decide I’m switching stands out.
    We get back late like 3:30pm late I’m laughing as I setup the tripod up and my wife who has never helped me do any thing hunting related helped. The whole time I’m thinking I’ve just blown this place no way I’m gonna see a deer. While finishing the tripod setup my wife says “hush” I see a deer! Not 80 yards from us a huge buck is just watching us and I started laughing. I said “ we will never see him again”. I snapped a picture and said keep an eye on him I’m gonna hit the shower and get in the stand.
    I took the fastest shower I’ve ever taken grabbed my bow, deer call, and a bucket of feed. I tossed the feed and climbed up. Immediately the neighbor to the left started world war three shooting every type of gun you can imagine. In between him reloading I hit the deer call. Laughing to myself the whole time thinking I’m definitely not gonna see anything. After about the 3rd doe bleet the same huge buck slides in and starts working from my right to my left behind me. I can’t even believe what I’m seeing. I’m getting real worked up now and he’s coming around to my front working around the edge of the large oak. I can barely contain myself as he moves around the oak I’m in and I see he’s going to be coming into an opening. As he slides around raising and lowering his head looking around he is in my sights. I’m able to draw as he feeds facing away from me. I held that draw what seemed like forever until he finally turned left and presented a shot! I make a clean shot and see blood dripping down his side and I finally breathe! He is the biggest buck I’ve ever seen hunting or been able to take a shot at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Heck of a buck!

Comment

Nice!! You lucky dog!! I mean seriously you did everything wrong and still got to put a BBD! Congrats man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now thats a fine buck. Congrats

Comment

You just never know. Congrats

Comment

Man,what a deer!# love that story.Swear sounds like my luck(minus killing a huge buck)You were probably super relaxed leading up to the shot I bet..Pretty cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

i wouldnt swear to it but it might be a different buck. lol crazy story. grats man.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Wow!
                  That's a heck of a buck...waydago

Comment

Awesome congrats

Comment

That's crazy

Comment

u laugh alot

Comment

Congrats! Nice buck!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That's a fine buck, like your write up, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X