2 Questions on Texas Mule Deer Public Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Questions on Texas Mule Deer Public Hunting

Two questions for you veteran mule deer hunters.

1. I would like to put in for a youth mule deer hunt for my 10 yo son. He has shot a number of whitetail already, mountain climbs and fly fishes with me in Colorado so he is pretty tough & loves to camp and the outdoors. The choices for public hunting are as follows:

1. Big Bend Ranch
    2. Caprock Canyon
    3. Elephant Mountain
    4. Palo Duro Canyon
    5. Sierra Diablo

Can you guys give the pros and cons to each and which you would think would a good fit for him?

2. I am putting in for an archery mule deer and need the same info for me as well. I will be hunting with a buddy. We both hunt very hard and like to rough it. Areas include:

1. Big Bend Ranch
    2. Black Gap
    3. Elephant Mountain
    4. Matador

All opinions and any help is appreciated. See you guys out there!

Danny

You might have a hard time getting folks to give up their favorites. The fewer applying for that area, the better the odds of being picked.

Comment

Your right. A 1,000 applicants for 10 permits is infinitely better odds than 1,001 applicants for 10 permits. If anything I would of thought TBHers with experience hunting these areas would be willing to share thoughts on what area would be best to take my son mule deer hunting. I know this, if someone on this site wanted to know anything about hunting or fishing in Unit 54/Gunnison Colorado I would be more than happy to share my experience with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Never hunted any but putting my kids in for Sierra Diablo because ive never been there

Comment

I have only ever hunted at matador. Great place and huge mule deer. They have had some serious fires that way this year so I dont know how that has effected the park. There is plenty of cover for spot and stalk. there are windmill water tanks and a river that runs down the middle of the park so water could be a great place to put up a blind. When I was there everybody got a mule deer, gun hunt. So I think you would have a great chance at getting one with your bow. Bring snake chaps it really looks like rattle snake country.

Comment

Elephant mountain would be a good choice for the youth hunt. Easy to get around and they have quite a few deer. Not sure about the panhndle areas, but it would be my coice out of diablo or big bend 4 the youth hunt. For an arhcery hunt, all would be good choices. If there is any water out here come fall, water hole hunting can be great. Quality will be down due to the drought. Big bend and black gap have low densities, so you probably won't have a lot of chanes at deer with a bow.

Comment

I bow hunted Elephant Mountain.With a gun I would have been done in one day.Great place.

Comment

i put in for the youth elephant mountain 6 years in a row but was never drawn. my younger brother has been drawn at several places. he was drawn for the youth elephant mountain last year and saw one buck that would of scored in the 180's and several that would of been low 170's but he just didnt get the job done and came home empty handed. said he saw plenty of deer, but you just need to know how to hunt mule deer or it will be pretty tough

Comment

My choices have always been elephant mt. and big bend But i have yet to be drawn.

Comment

Working...
                  X