"Official" Somerville Hunting thread, 09/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txbowhunter31 View Post
    I'll be in a 15' ladder stand in the nails creek area!
    I'll be the guy in orange holding a bow!

haha guy in orange with a bow! funny stuff,

Comment

Originally posted by diamondstud254 View Post
      hey guys I'm new to public hunting mostly hunted on leases I'm gonna get my public hunting permit and come join you guys. So does anyone have GPS coordinates of their spot locations? I was thinking of loading it into google earth so whenever I get out there to find a spot I won't be walking into someone elses. Anyone have any tips/feedback on how good the hunting is there?
      A GPS is good if it is your first time or two on the property! Really these Sommerville WMA are well marked with natural landmarks( creeks, fields, old fence lines, heavily used trails). If you have any decent since of direction you will be fine after your first trip out and in.
      By the way I have been on these wma a few hundred times, but just for good practice I keep my GPS in my pack with a first aid kit. haven't had to use them, but it is better to be prepared than not!

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter31 View Post
        I'll be in a 15' ladder stand in the nails creek area!
        I'll be the guy in orange holding a bow!
        Hey I think I saw you last year? Ah, who knows? Could have been someone dressed just like you.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the advice man. Hope to harvest my first deer with a bow this year (been a gun hunter all my life till now...Found something better!)

Comment

Mossyoak20 is a liar it's not him and a friend it's him and two friends. Got the days off man! I'll be out there opening weekend also. Look for our pics

Comment

Looks like theres going to be alot of folks out there. I'll try to steer clear if I see anyone
              in the woods. I'll be out there Sat afternoon and for sure Sun. morning. Any know how bad the blood sucking are out there.

Comment

Does anyone know if you have to have a public hunting permit just to go out there and scout/look around first? I wanted to go check the place out before I bought a permit...didn't know if general visitation was still on.

Comment

Does anyone know if you have to have a public hunting permit just to go out there and scout/look around first? I wanted to go check the place out before I bought a permit...didn't know if general visitation was still on.
                  You don't need a permit to just look around. Just say you are bird watching, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Villa View Post
                    Looks like theres going to be alot of folks out there. I'll try to steer clear if I see anyone
                    in the woods. I'll be out there Sat afternoon and for sure Sun. morning. Any know how bad the blood sucking are out there.
                    I went out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. The ticks are thick and you will be walking with a buzzing cloud over your head.

Comment

Originally posted by flashof1979 View Post
                      I went out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. The ticks are thick and you will be walking with a buzzing cloud over your head.
                      Hey did you get anything or see any deer/hogs?

Comment

Hey did you get anything or see any deer/hogs?
                        On Sunday morning about 6 a.m. I could hear the hogs by nails creek. I did see deer all three days. All does and spikes.

Comment

interesting! I'll be out there this thursday I think to scout a bit before the season starts.

Comment

Tic...tic...tic...tic...tic..., the time is almost here. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas!

Comment

Well went out Sat. evening got there little before 1400. Man there was alot of people,more than what I saw last yr. Like FLASHOF1979 said the blood suckers were badddddd.. I had a head net but my hands got towed up! Didn't see any deer and got rained on most of the evening. Didn't go Sun. morning cause of the rain. But I'll be back.
                              Any one else went out?

Comment

ya we got rained on all day sat but didnt see anything except squirrel hunters walking right up to my sons tree stand blowing there wistle

Comment

Working...
                                X