More CWD info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RodinaRanč View Post
    As far as exotics...the fire sales have already begun before the inventory #'s are due in April. Good job TAHC....way to decimate species for political CYA gain[emoji106]
    And what about the free range exotics.

Comment

More CWD info

Same....TAHC rules apply to all susceptible species, fence height is irrelevant...but hey...that's progress when compared to the TPWD agenda now isn't it!
      Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-12-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        And what about the free range exotics.
        Please stop bringing up all these logical and clearly present & factual elements. All blame and responsibility must reside on the shoulders of deer breeders.

Comment

I guess some of you don't understand the prion lives for ever.
          Condescension counterproductive. If you had a point it got lost in your smugness.
          Moving on... SMH

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            The deer I shoot donā€™t hang around landfills much either.
            I guess Iā€™m missing the pointā€” I just donā€™t see how the one-way ticket to a processor that deer punch is much of a factor in CWD spread. I get it that not all deer go to processors... not all mine do, but unless youā€™re harvesting them somewhere, hauling them down the road and then pulling a Fargo and broadcasting the carcasses across swaths of grazing lands, I just donā€™t see a widespread contamination mechanism there.
            Youre missing the small point that it can and will be spread by the carcass being transported. The spread of this is the discussion, not whether you currently hunt around an affected area. Give it long enough and you likely will hunt around an affected area. Even if its not by a landfill/processor/taxidermist, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Condescension counterproductive. If you had a point it got lost in your smugness.
              Moving on... SMH
              Fair enough statement. It wasn't meant to smug. I was shocked some didn't know or understand you can't wash, burn, etc the CWD away. I probably should have worded it better. You said you were missing the point so I tried to make it blunt. I guess you still missed it and I hurt your feelings doing so. It was not my intention and I sincerely apologize.

Comment

The average, "out of the loop hunter", has no idea how stupid this is about to get... Many of the comments that I regularly see on here concerning this topic make that perfectly clear..

Infectious diseases have always been a part of the wild and always will be... In the wild diseases take out the weak. In the wild healthy animals avoid the sick or the sick wander away from the herd to die.. Once you confine them its a totally different ball game.. Rocket science it is not..This CWD epidemic was largely created.. Anyone with half a brain could see the coming years ago. Transporting deer should have never ever been allowed.. The people in the know knew the risks. They rolled the dice, took a gamble for the sake of $$ and now here we are..

The deer hunting community now has a MASSSIVE problem.. Many of us had no say so in the decision being made for us.. Now we will ALL just have to deal with it.. We will now Sit back and watch this train wreck unfold.. It will get much more complicated..
                Last edited by PondPopper; 02-12-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

More CWD info

The deer hunting community had a massive problem the moment TWPD decided to politicize science & succeeded to a point....so yes they shoulder some of the blame...the "deer hunting community" shoulders some as well....i've said it many times...why the general hunting public is & has not been outraged with TPWD & their "stewardship" is beyond me...no need beating a dead horse now...more fences,less opportunity is on the horizon...think lease prices are high now...wait 7-10 yrs
                  Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                    Youre missing the small point that it can and will be spread by the carcass being transported. The spread of this is the discussion, not whether you currently hunt around an affected area. Give it long enough and you likely will hunt around an affected area. Even if its not by a landfill/processor/taxidermist, etc.
                    My contribution to the dialogue was that it's hard for me to see a strong vector there. Now we've got people saying stuff like, "what about exotics" when we don't even know which, if any, exotic species are affected.
                    There's a shortage of facts and reasonable dialogue on both sides of this argument.

Fair enough statement. It wasn't meant to smug. I was shocked some didn't know or understand you can't wash, burn, etc the CWD away. I probably should have worded it better. You said you were missing the point so I tried to make it blunt. I guess you still missed it and I hurt your feelings doing so. It was not my intention and I sincerely apologize.
                    lol... no worries. My feelings aren't hurt, but thanks for your concern.
                    Telling people they don't understand and accusing them of getting their feelings hurt is shooting yourself in the foot if what you think is that more productive dialogue around this issue is part of a solution. Misinformation I would categorize the same way.
                    It would appear that God has created the first thing of this earth that is eternal in the prion protein by reading some of these (including your) posts. It is more difficult, but prions are protein, and, like anything else, can be destroyed.
                    To wit:
                    Cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of surface prion contamination.
                    FINDINGS:
                    Traditional chemical methods of surface decontamination against prions were confirmed to be effective, but extended steam sterilization was more variable. Steam sterilization alone reduced the risk of prion contamination under normal or extended exposure conditions, but did show significant variation. Thermal disinfection had no impact in these studies. Cleaning with certain defined formulations in combination with steam sterilization can be an effective prion decontamination process, in particular with alkaline formulations. Low-temperature, gaseous hydrogen peroxide sterilization was also confirmed to reduce infectivity in the presence and absence of cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      The average, "out of the loop hunter", has no idea how stupid this is about to get... Many of the comments that I regularly see on here concerning this topic make that perfectly clear..

Infectious diseases have always been a part of the wild and always will be... In the wild diseases take out the weak. In the wild healthy animals avoid the sick or the sick wander away from the herd to die.. Once you confine them its a totally different ball game.. Rocket science it is not..This CWD epidemic was largely created.. Anyone with half a brain could see the coming years ago. Transporting deer should have never ever been allowed.. The people in the know knew the risks. They rolled the dice, took a gamble for the sake of $$ and now here we are..

The deer hunting community now has a MASSSIVE problem.. Many of us had no say so in the decision being made for us.. Now we will ALL just have to deal with it.. We will now Sit back and watch this train wreck unfold.. It will get much more complicated..
                      Are you pointing the finger at TPWD for allowing this to happen?

Ultimately it was their decision, with the breeding industry fanning the flames with $100 bills.

Comment

My contribution to the dialogue was that it's hard for me to see a strong vector there. Now we've got people saying stuff like, "what about exotics" when we don't even know which, if any, exotic species are affected.
                        There's a shortage of facts and reasonable dialogue on both sides of this argument.
                        [/URL]
                        I've been saying that exact statement in this thread and for over two years now. As far as exotics go we do know CWD is carried by elk, red deer, sika, but does not to appear to affect axis. Yes there is still a ton of information to learn as far as exotics go. I appreciate the link on removing prions. I've discussed CWD with a few of the people doing research for the State and the have told me multiple times it is nearly impossible to remove. Possibly they were referring to cost and also not a feasible way to remove it from the soil. The point I was making earlier was it easily moved around the State by many means including transportation of deer, carcass, vehicle etc. My point all along has been the State thinking they were going to stop CWD by requiring testing on transported deer was a fallacy. Is it a step in the right direction yes. Have they taken another step in the right direction? No. They seem content in what they have done so far.

Comment

does not to appear to affect axis.
                          God, I love axis deer.

Comment

I have a question for you hill country folks.
                            On the place I sold I was required to test 3 red deer or sika.
                            Cost me $500.00

They told me any one who had any Elk, Red deer or Sika killed on their land had to test 3 or they would be fined.

How many hill country land owners even know about this new law?

Free range is the same as high fence

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              I have a question for you hill country folks.
                              On the place I sold I was required to test 3 red deer or sika.
                              Cost me $500.00

They told me any one who had any Elk, Red deer or Sika killed on their land had to test 3 or they would be fined.

How many hill country land owners even know about this new law?

Free range is the same as high fence
                              I am not sure how many know but my guess is very few. How could they force someone to test something that that don't own? I have to be honest I didn't even know. I hunt low and high fence in the hill country and neither land owner has told us testing needed to be done. We have elk on both places but haven't shot one in 3 plus years.

Comment

I am not sure how many know but my guess is very few. How could they force someone to test something that that don't own? I have to be honest I didn't even know. I hunt low and high fence in the hill country and neither land owner has told us testing needed to be done. We have elk on both places but haven't shot one in 3 plus years.

It was not Parks and wildlife it was Texas animal health that contacted me.

I don't see how they can enforce it but that is what they told me and then sent me a letter .
                                I had to have the reports turned in by April 15th

Comment

Working...
                                X