2008 Silverado Catastrophic Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Silverado Catastrophic Failure

I saw the thread from last week about replacing a 5.3L Vortec engine but didn't want to hijack. Ironically I told a friend that I thought it was probably time to take my chips off the table with my '08 Silverado with 152k on it. I was looking at trading it in early that afternoon. Went to pick up my son from school and something went catastrophically wrong from there. Terrible noise (like a very loud clicking), loss of power, Stabilitrak light came on. I shut it down and it won't start. It's going to cost my another $500 just to tear into it to see what's wrong. I've babied this truck and never rode it hard. The exterior and just about everything else is in good shape for its age and mileage. Depending on the severity of the damage, I will likely get it fixed. Anyone see this situation entirely differently feel free to chime in. I'd love to hear from those with experience as to what this should cost - based on possible outcomes.

Last edited by Dchilds; 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM.

Mine made it to 170k, & died the week before Christmas.

FYI- I got $2500 for it at a wrecking yard.

Comment

What engine you have in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
        What engine you have in it?

Sorry - a 5.3 Vortec

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Mine made it to 170k, & died the week before Christmas.

FYI- I got $2500 for it at a wrecking yard.

Man. That's the quickest $7,500 I lost if that's the route I end up going. I was told 8k-10k on trade depending on how clean it is pre-break down. It's pretty clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
            Man. That's the quickest $7,500 I lost if that's the route I end up going. I was told 8k-10k on trade depending on how clean it is pre-break down. It's pretty clean.
            Yep, but it's better than $500 for a non running vehicle...

Was going to cost me 6-8k to get mine running again.

Comment

I have a mec friend who is really good with 5.3 engine. I sent him the info you gave. I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasbeanie View Post
                I have a mec friend who is really good with 5.3 engine. I sent him the info you gave. I will let you know.

Awesome. Thanks!

Comment

Was going to cost me 6-8k to get mine running again.
                  If you don't mind me asking. Was that for a replacement engine or to repair yours?

Comment

Say it cost 6-8k to fix plus 500 to see what's wrong then you get it fixed and trade it in for 8-10k. Would it just be better to take 2500 from the junkyard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                      If you don't mind me asking. Was that for a replacement engine or to repair yours?
                      Replacement, but I had compression loss in 5 of 8 cylinders in a 4.8L v8

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
                        Say it cost 6-8k to fix plus 500 to see what's wrong then you get it fixed and trade it in for 8-10k. Would it just be better to take 2500 from the junkyard?

Basicwlly why we decided what we decided and lack of hassle. Wrecker picked it up at the mechanic and I bought a 2015 Ford with less than 10k mi that weekend

Comment

Mine acted like that when the battery went out 2x

Comment

Basicwlly why we decided what we decided and lack of hassle. Wrecker picked it up at the mechanic and I bought a 2015 Ford with less than 10k mi that weekend

The only thing I'm hanging onto that I didn't mention previously was that they didn't see any scoring of the cylinder walls or damage to the pistons. Then again, they'll know more when they open it up. The optimist in me says MAYBE damage is somewhat limited and it's a sub-3k dollar repair. Not likely but I don't feel like I'm gambling big on that being a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
                              The only thing I'm hanging onto that I didn't mention previously was that they didn't see any scoring of the cylinder walls or damage to the pistons. Then again, they'll know more when they open it up. The optimist in me says MAYBE damage is somewhat limited and it's a sub-3k dollar repair. Not likely but I don't feel like I'm gambling big on that being a possibility.
                              I asked about doing a head job on mine. Mechanic said if he wouldn't if it were his truck bc it would likely blow out the bottom in future (he couldn't specify the timeframe)

Comment

Working...
                              X