Had a wake up call.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a wake up call.

Tuesday evening me and the wife went to visit my son and his family. On the way home, just as I exited off 75 onto Exchange Pkwy here in Allen, I all of the sudden started sweating really bad. I got onto Exchange and started getting dizzy. I passed out while driving. Alecia reached over and turned the ignition off and managed to push the brake pedal down to get the truck stopped. She said I bounced the truck off the curb 3 times. She got me to the ER that was only about a 1/4 mile away. I don't know most of the medical terms, but they said the top number of my BP was 50! They ran more tests than I have had in my entire lifetime. Blood work several times, sonograms, CAT scan and some I don't even know what they were. After spending the night the only thing that showed to be a problem was dehydration. All other tests came back fine. Heart OK, all organs OK. My kidney's were the only thing that showed any signs of a problem and they said it was due to dehydration. I hadn't been drinking, so alcohol was not the culprit. This was very scary! If it had happened while on the highway at 70mph, we would probably be dead along with who knows else. I HAVE to find a way to drink more water during the day. Durn OSHA regs won't let us have food or drinks in our work areas at work. All we have are water fountains scattered out through the shop. That just don't cut it. I would like to thank the ER personnel and docs at Presbyterian in Allen. They jumped on me like a bunch of spider monkeys when I rolled in. Everyone please be sure to drink plenty of fluids. This could have been real bad.

Dang. Glad youre ok.

Comment

Glad you're ok bud! Drink more water!

Comment

Whoa
        Don't forget to thank your wife for her quick actions!
        Glad y'all are okay!

Comment

Holy smokes...smart and fast acting woman you got there. Glad it had a good ending

Comment

Sorry to hear this, very scary situation, especially for your wife.

What kind of shop do you work in, what industry? If I recall you are a machinist, I've worked in a couple shops and have never heard of an OSHA rule it allowing food or drink in your work area, that's why I ask what industry. My experience is with Oil and Gas industry.

Comment

Glad you're okay.

Careful on the turn off the key - if it's all the way off the steering will lock and you're SOL.

Make sure to hit those water fountains every hour during the work day. Do a 30 - 60 second nonstop drink.

Comment

Man what a shake up. Glad you are ok...................

Comment

Glad your ok. Sounds like a near miss

Comment

Glad ur ok. That situation ought to be motivation enough to drink plenty of water.

Comment

Sure glad this all worked out without mishap Randy! That was crazy close!

The last time you did this mowing the yard, probably the same darn deal?

Comment

Dang!
                        Glad y'all are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                          Sorry to hear this, very scary situation, especially for your wife.

What kind of shop do you work in, what industry? If I recall you are a machinist, I've worked in a couple shops and have never heard of an OSHA rule it allowing food or drink in your work area, that's why I ask what industry. My experience is with Oil and Gas industry.
                          I'm a machinist in the defense industry. I'm going to check into this more because I know folks in other shops that haven't heard of this either.
                          Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                          Glad you're okay.

Careful on the turn off the key - if it's all the way off the steering will lock and you're SOL.

Make sure to hit those water fountains every hour during the work day. Do a 30 - 60 second nonstop drink.
                          An automatic trans while in gear will not lock the steering when the key is turned. The ignition switch will turn back just enough to kill the engine.

Thanks everyone. This scared the **** out of us!

Comment

Very scary.

Comment

I try to drink to glasses of water each night on work nights. Just FYI that is not a OSHA rule that is your companies policy. Take care of yourself

Comment

Working...
                              X