Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting. Prison time or Miller time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AG has charged him with manslaughter ...

The Florida man who invoked the "stand your ground" self-defense law after shooting a black man in a dispute over a parking space was charged Monday with manslaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shooter-fl...ry?id=57151343
      I honestly don't see how they couldn't.......regardless of what was being said by the dead guy prior to the shooting.....if anything.

Comment

Just curious as to how many would feel it was OK if the man that got shoved down was in a wheelchair? To many with a disability being shoved to the ground is a totally defenseless position and one that requires assistance to return to a standing position. I think if I was there the guy that shoved him down after taking HIS parking spot would of gotten a knuckle sammich to say the least. Also anyone who is healthy and mobile who is too dam lazy to walk 50 ft. so that disabled can have some level of being equal and decency doesn't deserve to breathe the same air

Comment

Unless there is more to it, I agree with what the attorney said in the article. Basically you can’t start a confrontation, shoot someone, then claim “stand your ground.” Also, it looked like the guy was backing up and turning around.
          The ahooter being a CHL holder should not have let the situation escalate to that level.

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
            Just curious as to how many would feel it was OK if the man that got shoved down was in a wheelchair? To many with a disability being shoved to the ground is a totally defenseless position and one that requires assistance to return to a standing position. I think if I was there the guy that shoved him down after taking HIS parking spot would of gotten a knuckle sammich to say the least. Also anyone who is healthy and mobile who is too dam lazy to walk 50 ft. so that disabled can have some level of being equal and decency doesn't deserve to breathe the same air
            I still don’t feel like that warrants an immediate death penalty. If I was a bystander and saw that I think I would simply intervene. Help the guy up and move on. Not shoot the guy who shoved him.

I also think this is the reason to not give a guy a knuckle sammich even though he may deserve it. Used to you could get in a fight, win or lose you’d get up and go home. Now you can’t trust someone not to pull a gun. I’m usually for the CHL holder because they usually keep control of the situation better, I don’t think this guy did.
            Last edited by be12hunt; 08-13-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

We all knew that was coming right? Barney screwed up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

not guilty....

self defense

next

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                  Unless there is more to it, I agree with what the attorney said in the article. Basically you can’t start a confrontation, (they were in verbal conversation) shoot someone (you left out the part of being physically attacked)[/B], then claim “stand your ground.” (he was on the ground..you know..after getting knocked down..) Also, it looked like the guy was backing up and turning around. (one step to the side..no movement like he was running... see the guy in foreground..he did it right)
                  The ahooter being a CHL holder should not have let the situation escalate to that level. (again..he didnt escalate it...homeboy blindsiding him did.)

Comment

Pretty much sums up what I said in earlier posts. Ol' Barney Fife should have minded his own business. I believe the shooter is a nut job and was looking for a reason to shoot somebody. You can't start a confrontation and then claim self defense. Those that saw this shooting as justifiable defense were wrong and frankly I would be concerned if they are CHL holders.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      I love how right out the gate, this article tells you the shooter was white and the dead man was black. Agenda much?

They forgot about race by the time they got to the sheriff.
                      If I had to wager a bit of money I'd bet race had everything to do with Barney and his behavior. I hope justice is done.
                      Stand your ground was enacted for a different reason than what this guy or even Zimmerman did.
                      Both created their confrontational situation then shot an unarmed person. Granted an unarmed person can cause significant bodily harm or even death but I don't see that being an issue in this case.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It seems like the shooter could have pulled his weapon and prevented the assailant from continuing the assault while he got up and left. Even if he is not charged, could he not be sued for wrongful death by the deceased man's family?

Comment

Whatever the outcome is, if I was in that situation I would have a hard time pulling the trigger based on the video and body language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless there is something very significant that this video is not showing then he had no reason to shoot that guy. Do I think he was justified in pulling his weapon to insure nothing else happened? Sure. But he had no right to shoot that man.

Comment

With the video having been in circulation for the last month do y'all think it's possible for him to get a fair trial?

I have my own opinion made up and if I was on the jury it'd take a miracle to get me to swap sides.

Comment

Looks like a big wuss (only word I can use here) with a gun policing parking lots, looking for trouble.

No one won here, not the dead guy angry someone is yelling at his girlfriend or the shooter who should let the police be the police.

Comment

Working...
                                X