Home Construction Lending 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Construction Lending 101

Hey Friends. Below is an article I wrote recently for a local magazine. It's the short and sweet of home construction lending. If you're in the need for an interim construction loan, shoot me a message or give me a call (512-203-5869). I do these and lot loans (up to 40 acres) all over the state.

Trey

Click image for larger version

Name:	Use This One.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	25149145

__________________________________________________ ________________

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic for article.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	25149144

Home Construction Financing

Buying a home is exciting. Building your dream home even more so! If building a home might be in the cards at some point, let’s “talk”.

The type of builder you choose will dictate your financing options. With a neighborhood-type production builder, the transaction works much the same as a purchase: preapproval for financing, sign a contract and put down earnest money. Upon completion, the home is purchased from the builder, the same as buying an existing home. These builders are typically affiliated with a mortgage lender and will offer incentives to utilize their lender. However, you should still do your due diligence, comparing their terms to another mortgage company. There is the chance your chosen lender can provide a loan with better terms for you. In addition, if it appears you are leaning towards an “outside” lender, they may offer you much more. Keep’em honest!

Building a custom home is a different game. In this case, you work with a bank to secure a construction loan that pays for the project as you go, similar to a line of credit used as different stages of construction are completed. Termed an “interim construction loan,” it is typically interest-only with the monthly payment calculated on the amount utilized to that point. Upon completion, the interim loan is refinanced into a traditional, fixed rate mortgage. Thus you have two closings and two rounds of closing costs. Additionally, while you know the interest rate of the construction loan up front, you can only guess the prevailing rate when time to refinance. With rates trending up, this can be dicey.

Some banks offer an additional product – a “one time close” (OTC). In this case, the interest rate on the construction loan is the same interest rate locked-in for a known time frame, usually five or seven years. However, nothing prevents changing your mind and refinancing into a traditional, fixed rate mortgage. The OTC becomes insurance of sorts, hedging against rising interest rates or even an unexpected life change that could leave you unqualified for the permanent loan. With an OTC, you also save on closing costs.

It is definitely in your best interest to shop different banks for your custom home build. Terms for an interim construction loan are all over the board. Both origination fees and available interest rates can vary significantly. Some lenders require 25% down payment, while others are as low as 10%.

Advice? Make sure you know and understand all your loan options, the terms of each, and that your lender has all available tools in the bag. Oh, and put the water heater downstairs!

Trey Powers is a senior mortgage loan officer with City Bank Mortgage, a Texas-owned, Texas-based lender. In both 2017 and 2018 he was voted Dripping Springs' Best Mortgage lender. He can be contacted by email: trey@treypowers.com or phone: 512-203-5869. NMLS #1294913.

Thank you Trey, we will be building a home in the next 6 months so this is good info.

Comment

Good info, Trey. Barb and I are likely a few years away from building something. I'm glad to know I can put you in our corner when we are ready!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you! Great info! We will be building soon!

Skinny

Comment

Trey - Say I had a note on a piece of land (36 acres) and the note was roughly half the carrying value of the land. If I wanted to build out there, what would be the best process? Pay off original note with new note plus construction loan all wrapped into one package at a final closing?

Comment

I still need to get you those numbers! I haven’t forgot! Good information right here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
              Trey - Say I had a note on a piece of land (36 acres) and the note was roughly half the carrying value of the land. If I wanted to build out there, what would be the best process? Pay off original note with new note plus construction loan all wrapped into one package at a final closing?
              Hey Bit Back. Too many factors to suggest your best move. Either way you cut it, the land will be tied into the construction loan. Bank will want 1st lien on the whole property. The equity you have in the land will count towards (or completely cover) your interim loan down payment.

Comment

Good article to help folks understand the process.

One thing I would add is that the builder can also obtain the interim construction loan in his/her name and spare the customer of all those details. Most builders already have a bank they use for all their construction loans. Several ways to skin the cat.

Comment

Trey is a great person and a good Mortgage Loan Officer. Give him a chance to help with your mortgage needs.

Stan

Comment

Trey I sent a text to the number you posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X