6.5-06....to build or not to build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5-06....to build or not to build

I’ve got a respectful collection of .264/6.5 calibers and this one has intrigued me for some time now, finally got my hands on a donor action and about to put the wheels in motion. Anyone played around with the caliber?

jrg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but I’m fascinated by it as well. Kinda figured one day I’d get a savage 110 and screw a 6.5-06 barrel on it and give it a whirl. Gets you a velocity improvement with heavier bullets over the small 6.5s but doesn’t burn powder like the big ones.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by JRG_80 View Post
      I’ve got a respectful collection of .264/6.5 calibers and this one has intrigued me for some time now, finally got my hands on a donor action and about to put the wheels in motion. Anyone played around with the caliber?

jrg

Where does it fit in your collection? That’s how I weigh the options of a new cartridge. If it doesn’t offer a significant advantage over what I already have I look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you ever wanted to jump in the Ackley game, the 6.5-06AI is one that is certainly worth doing.

Comment

Robert bear me to the AI which is what I'd do or the 6.5 Sherman.

If you go the AI route look at the 6.5-280AI, it offers more capacity then tbe 06

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Take Stick1’s advice if you do it.

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
            Robert bear me to the AI which is what I'd do or the 6.5 Sherman.

If you go the AI route look at the 6.5-280AI, it offers more capacity then tbe 06

I’m working towards a 6.5 Sherman right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Help me out here, they are both based off of the 30-06 case family so how does 6.5-280 offer more capacity than 6.5-06? I always understood they were the same by a different name

Comment

It's sorta spitting hairs but PO did them all & the 280ai is the king of the 06 case...still, if you have a thing for the 6 1/2 bore, then why not??

Not like the critter can tell the difference...build what makes you smile.

Comment

I have quite a few 6.5's in my arsenal too.
                  If you mind doing a little fire forming look at the 6.5 Gibbs. Also made from an 06 or 280 the shoulder is moved forward about 1/10" of an inch with it being sharper. I built one over 20 years ago and it runs 140's up to 3200fps.

6.5 Gibbs next to 6.4x284

Comment

You guys know a lot about guns! lol.

Comment

i have a 6.5-06ai, wish i would have gone 6.5-.300, depends on what your gonna use it for.the ai does a good job on 129s and i would have liked it to push 140s the same speed.Went back to my.300 win and my current project a .300 wsm. im just a 30 cal guy, who bow hunts ??? good luck with your project. Happy hunting

Comment

The Gibbs has always been in the back of my mind for sure, she’s wicked, but I’ve scratched that “speedy 6.5” with my 6.5-300Roy

Let me ask....since I’m seeing some high praises for the 6.5-280AI, would I be able to neck down my 280AI brass that I already have?

jrg

Comment

Originally posted by JRG_80 View Post
                          The Gibbs has always been in the back of my mind for sure, she’s wicked, but I’ve scratched that “speedy 6.5” with my 6.5-300Roy

Let me ask....since I’m seeing some high praises for the 6.5-280AI, would I be able to neck down my 280AI brass that I already have?

jrg
                          Yes.

Comment

Stick1 need to talk on a 6.5 build I am just up the road when is a good time to drop by ans go over a custom build

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                              Yes.
                              PM sent your way

jrg

Comment

Working...
                              X