Guns you don't use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns you don't use.

I'll start off by saying I've never sold a gun in my life. But I've managed to collect a few in my life that I don't use and they're basically just sitting around for me to look at. They're guns I bought just because I had the money to buy them and I thought I was getting a heck of a deal,which I was at the time I guess but after buying them I shot them a few times and that was it.

I have a pistol that's 7 years old and it's had maybe a box of bullets ran through it. Maybe not that many....half a box probably. It's practically brand new anyway. I like it,it's a cool pistol but I don't use it. Never killed anything except a paper target with it.

I have a few I keep for sentimental reasons like the old shotgun my dad gave me. That I'll always keep but I'm kind of getting to the point that I'm tired of having guns that I bought "just because" that are sitting around not being used. Having stuff I don't use is kind of a pet peeve of mine. So I'm starting to think I could sell those and upgrade to things I will use. But I like them so I'm undecided. I like 'em because they're guns is all it is. But they're guns I don't use.....which is what they're built for.

Does anyone else have that problem? Do you sell and upgrade to something you will use more often or something that's nicer so you can look at it for 10 years?lol

I have bought guns as an investment that were rare and not ment to shoot and I just couldnt hold onto them. I dont keep guns I wont shoot. The only guns I keep are ones I use or that have been passed down to me. Just seems pointless to me to hold guns for years on end with no real point in having ever bought them. Plus I see them as cash and have always rather had that in hand vs the gun itself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 I will never get rid of. all the others are pawns in the game of swap

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
        I have bought guns as an investment that were rare and not ment to shoot and I just couldnt hold onto them. I dont keep guns I wont shoot. The only guns I keep are ones I use or that have been passed down to me. Just seems pointless to me to hold guns for years on end with no real point in having ever bought them. Plus I see them as cash and have always rather had that in hand vs the gun itself.

I know exactly what you mean.

I have a Remington 522 Viper that serves no purpose to me. Not a very good quality rifle to be honest. That's another thing, if I think it's junk why do I have it?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          I know exactly what you mean.

I have a Remington 522 Viper that serves no purpose to me. Not a very good quality rifle to be honest. That's another thing, if I think it's junk why do I have it?
          Thats a good question lol. Go shoot the crap out of it or get rid of it! Or at least thats what I would do. I guess if you planned on having kids that .22 would come in handy when they get of age too tho. So theres that.

Comment

The trigger on that thing is so bad I just know if I have a kid he...Or she won't like it.lol

It's an alright rifle to just have for shooting skunks and all that but I have a shotgun for that. Or .223 which until recently was cheaper and easier to find ammo for than a .22lr so a lot of varmints have been overkilled and all of my rimfires didn't get out much.

I have a feeling it's probably gonna get sold. There's way nicer .22's available. The 10 round magazine is about the most valuable thing on one of those rifles. I don't want anyone I know to buy it I can assure you. They'll end up giving it back to me. I'd be too ashamed to put it on the classifieds on here. I'm not a very good salesman obviously because I'd be trying to talk people out of buying it.
            Last edited by okrattler; 10-20-2017, 02:21 AM.

Comment

That's one thing to keep in mind for anyone reading this. If I ever have anything for sale you should buy it. I wouldn't let none of y'all buy something you wouldn't like. I'm too honest. If I think it's crap it'd say so in the description. Maybe that's a character flaw of mine....

Comment

I buy/trade guns all the time. It's pretty much the way I fund most of my hobbies. I just like guns, the mechanics, age, the required machining, etc. Some I will never sell, some I only buy to sell. I see them as a savings account- they should always hold their value.

Except ARs! Just like everything else, buy smart!

Comment

I have a few that I thought were awesome when I bought them but I haven't used. They are heavy kickers too so the likelihood that I'll shoot them for fun is low. I have a S&W 500 and a Wby 460 Lazermark that don't get shot much but that I'll ever sell. They are so over the top they are fun to shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sell to upgrade.

I've probably owned 50-60 guns during the last 6-7 years but currently have about a dozen in the safe. Or maybe 2 dozen... or possible zero guns... depends who's reading this....

There's about 5-6 I regret selling but most sales were to help eventually upgrade to the better stuff I currently own.... or not currently own.... I'm on to you ATF......

Comment

Im also a victim of caliberwhorism. I'll want to shoot a type of gun for a while and when I find it I'll get it and then when the new wears off I sell it or Trade It Off. Some people buy gold and silver I just so happen to buy a gun and just upgrade or sometimes downgrade depending on the situation. Having a gun is like a savings account. If you ever in the hard time just let it go. But here's the kicker that gun that you're going to let go or be in this category can never be a brand new gun because you will never get back what you paid for it. It doesn't matter if you put a $200 trigger in it it doesn't mean a thing when you're trying to trade it off.

I can say I've shot deer with more calibers than most people because I changed every season sometimes three to four times in a season for the past 10 years and half that being MLD3 And I can tell you 223 and 300 BO all the way to 338 Win Mag and all theackleys and short mags in between the deer just die when they are shot. Some do it in a more spectacular manner than others but they just die. I do have probably four guns that will always be in my safe they were passed down to me. The others are like a revolving door.

There has been only two guns that I regret Trading or selling. It was a Ruger M77 Hawkeye predator in 65 Creedmoor. That gun felt like an extension of my arm I made great shots with that gun the way the stock felt and how balanced it was was almost perfect for me. I traded it off for 6-8 SPC in an AR shot a deer with it and then traded it for something else I forgot. The other one I sold a Remington AR-15 that I should have never let go.
                      Last edited by DWA; 10-20-2017, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                        I have 2 I will never get rid of. all the others are pawns in the game of swap
                        I subscribe to this line of thought

Comment

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
                          I buy/trade guns all the time. It's pretty much the way I fund most of my hobbies. I just like guns, the mechanics, age, the required machining, etc. Some I will never sell, some I only buy to sell. I see them as a savings account- they should always hold their value.

Except ARs! Just like everything else, buy smart!
                          You and me both...

Comment

I have never sold any of mine, just due to the fact that I can't acquire them as easily as others can. I bought my first gun when I was about 25 years old; a Beretta 390 12 gauge. A couple years later, I won a Browning Maxus. Some were telling me to sell the Beretta and get an AR, but I know I'll get more use out of two shotguns than an AR. I've also seen on here where others regret selling their 390, so I'll hold onto it. It's a great go-to in not so pleasant weather.

My wife's uncle gave me a JM stamped 30-30. Those same people say to sell it and get a 6.5, but it was a Christmas gift from him, and I've always wanted a lever gun. I'd feel wrong to sell it, and it's a sweet shooter. Those same guys that want me to get a 6.5 are the same ones that were shocked to see it group so tight at 200 yards, plus hit a 4" plate at 365 yards.

The other guns I have in my safe are my dad's, with one dating back to the second build of the 870 Wingmaster, and a left eject Remington 1100. These will never be sold. The only gun I'm considering selling is my pistol, just because I'd like something a bit more specific than what I've got.

Here's a pic of my arsenal. Those Nerf guns are pretty, aren't they?

Comment

I went through a time of buying guns one or two a month, since then I have sold a few of those to fund others, that were the newest/greatest but still go back to a few favorites for most of my shooting. Sold a few to funs others and now could go the rest of my life I think without needing another gun but that itch for something comes along and I might sell a few to fund another. Mostly though if I feel the urge to purchase another gun I just take one out of the safe that hasn't been shot in 5 or more years and shoot it. Or I sell a few to fund the latest new gun to sit in the safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X