How bad is Oklahoma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pilar View Post
    My wife and mother in law are Chickasaw Indian, and are talking about needing to move to Ada or Sulphur Oklahoma to take advantage of Indian retirement services ( a senior center, cheaper pharmaceuticals, medical services, at cost fuel And lots more) I personally don’t know anything about living in Oklahoma
    And am not feeling much excitement about it , but our area of Texas is being over run with freaks from California, so is that area “ livable “ for a guy who has never lived more than 2-3 hours from the coast or great hunting ?
    Hunting is horrible and the closest thing to a coastline is lake Texoma..

On a side note, I was born and raised in Sulphur (still here) and went to school as well as worked in Ada. I'm also Chickasaw and work for the nation. If you have any questions about the area/tribal type programs PM me, I'll answer your questions the best I can.

Comment

You will have to pull your two front teeth out to fit in

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
        You will have to pull your two front teeth out to fit in

God Bless
        Bish
        Already did well just one actually

Comment

Lot of bad roads and a lot of beautiful country throughout. I travel across the state monthly for work and don't mind it. I hope to stay in the hill country the rest of my life but Oklahoma wouldn't be bad.

Comment

Have family in OK, and had in laws there. Ada, specifically, well outside of town, bought nice house on 70 acres or so for less than $150k. This was 15 years or so ago. I agree with previous posts about the people and slower pace. I'd live there if I didn't need a good job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you leave Texas, the Californians win.

Oklahoma is alright - I went to school there. They do things "different" is the best way to put it. It's ok, just different and not how I would have done it. Hard to put my finger exactly on what it is. Just done subpar but works.

Edit: Alva, Oklahoma and college was the greatest experience of my life. I don't give it enough credit in my original post. But you are hours away from everything.
              Last edited by ctom87; 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

No me gusto Oklahoma...
                I lived there 4 years (Chickasha, OK) and HATED every day of it. The outdoors and wildlife was good, but I was **** poor and barely got to hunt and most of the time I didn't even have a car... The whole set up, some of their rules and laws and and the whole mentality was Ack Bass backwards....

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  If you leave, Texas, the Californians win.

Oklahoma is alright - I went to school there. They do things "different" is the best way to put it. It's ok, just different and not how I would have done it. Hard to put my finger exactly on what it is. Just done subpar but works.
                  I rest my case,,,,, That's what I meant as well.... well said.....

Just something odd and awkward about the whole set up, people and the state....

Comment

LOL! I said the same thing about the weird *** city people in Texas....

Comment

There are a lot of great people in Ok, and some pretty country as well. Some of the backward mentalities drive me nuts, and they are prevalent in the outlying areas...and prevalent in business there.

That said, it wouldn't take long to find a nice spot if you looked a little.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                        Lot of bad roads and a lot of beautiful country throughout. I travel across the state monthly for work and don't mind it. I hope to stay in the hill country the rest of my life but Oklahoma wouldn't be bad.
                        Yeah, it certainly pales in comparison to the Hill Country but then again the rest of Texas does too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          If you leave, Texas, the Californians win.

Edit: Alva, Oklahoma and college was the greatest experience of my life. I don't give it enough credit in my original post. But you are hours away from everything.
                          I like that way of thinking.....but what can you do if Texas adapts California gun laws?

Comment

I grew up in Antlers and Atoka and spent a good deal of time in Ada and Sulphur. I'd live there now if it wasn't for chemical plant paychecks.

Being so "far from everything" isn't such a bad thing either. Once you move 5 miles away from a McDonalds, you start to lose the taste for the crap. Its like that with most "city dweller stuff". How many fast food places, restaurants and big box stores do you really need anyway? Every time I walk out of my house and look up at the stars, I thank God. Living just a bit closer to Houston all you can see in the sky is a haze.

At least Ada and Sulphur are close to the Texas border. You'll have to take the short drive across the Red River to get 6.0 beer, the 3.2 beer up there is like drinking beer flavored sparkling water.

Regarding methamphetamine use in OK...I call a foul. Look next door to you in almost any city in the US of A and you're gonna see it or something close.
                            Last edited by Wampuscat; 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                              I grew up in Antlers and Atoka and spent a good deal of time in Ada and Sulphur. I'd live there now if it wasn't for chemical plant paychecks.

Being so "far from everything" isn't such a bad thing either. Once you move 5 miles away from a McDonalds, you start to lose the taste for the crap. Its like that with most "city dweller stuff". How many fast food places, restaurants and big box stores do you really need anyway? Every time I walk out of my house and look up at the stars, I thank God. Living just a bit closer to Houston all you can see in the sky is a haze.

At least Ada and Sulphur are close to the Texas border. You'll have to take the short drive across the Red River to get 6.0 beer, the 3.2 beer up there is like drinking beer flavored sparkling water.
                              They have real beer now.

Comment

Doesn't Antlers still have a McDonald's at the toll booth?

Comment

Working...
                                X