No announcement yet.

Lets see simple DIY blinds w/ cattle panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you cut the bottom strand off the cattle panel to form the ground "spikes", you are left with that long piece. Cut that long piece that you cut off, in half. Now them two halves will serve as the top, and bottom of your "door". When you bend your cattle panel into a "C", you wire them halves to each end of the cattle panel.........am I making sense here?lol

I also buried the leftover carpet along the ground and staked it down to the ground good to disuade any slitherin critters from gettin in there....they still can, but it's more work for the little bastages.

At Home Repot they got the indoor/outdoor carpet on the big bulk rolls, where you just tell them how much you want and they cut it off. They got 2 flavors of it though, you want the stuff with the black backing! It cost more, but it's much more weatherproof, and makes it alot darker inside. The regular green stuff is darn near clear from the inside out.

Also, pick you up a grande bag of 4" zip ties and don't be stingy with'em!

I may be going to Home Depot before the day is over...

Comment

Here's mine. Used camo tarps and hog rings. Will brush in closer to season.
      Attached Files

Comment

Stuntriderant, I like yours a lot and I have a lot of that wire. It might be time for me to make one like that.

Comment

I found that its best to find two cedars or trees and trim the bottom like the pic above. They serve as fence post and when the blind is all done it doesnt stand out as much because the animals were used to the big cedar there before and the blind is some what similar. I have hunted out of this blind alot!! It is 8x8 and very comfortable to hunt and film from!! I have taken 3 pigs and an 8 that was ten yards from me and fully relaxed!! My favorite one last year was my first coyote with my bow!! I watched him chase mice for 30 min until he quarted away at about 15 yrds and i let him have it!! The blind is amazing but kinda creepy crawlin in at 5 in the mornin!!!

Comment

Yeah i bet it can be a little unsettling especially in snake country, but guess i'll just have to check it good.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking when I was looking at all the pictures. I guess as long as you clean out all of the leafs and grass on the floor than you can check it pretty easily in the mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I may be going to Home Depot before the day is over...
                Me too! I've got to build a bow blind at my new stand and this is the perfect solution.

Just a few ?'s.
                1. How many panels do I need to make an 8' diameter circle? I'm thinking two.
                2. How many yards/feet/whatever of the fabric do I need?

Comment

cattle panels are 16' long. shorter, hog panels are 20'.

Comment

not exactly simple, but roomy and effective:

The only thing I would change is the direction the windows are cut. This was my first attempt to build a bow blind after building gun blinds for years.

Comment

Originally posted by head View Post
                      cattle panels are 16' long. shorter, hog panels are 20'.
                      I just bought a bunch of the 34" hog panels and they are 16', wish I knew that had some in 20'.

Comment

Tgil where did you get that roof?

Comment

Originally posted by DidIDoThat View Post
                          Tgil where did you get that roof?
                          that looks like an old satelite dish! Great idea!

Comment

You guys helped me out with your posts, thanks for all your input. Feel free to post more if you have more.

Comment

i am going to have to build a couple of these

Comment

OK. I did some calculations and a 16' panel will give you a 5.75' diameter blind with a 2' door. A 20' panel with a 2' door will give you a 7' diameter blind.

I priced the carpet at Home Depot this weekend and some rough calculations tell me I'll need 14 square yards of fabric at about 4.50/yard for a 7'er. That's about $63 in fabric.

I don't know what panels or PVC cost, but it should be easy enough to build one of these for $100 or so. And that's if you have to buy everything.

Here's a quick materials list for a 7'er:
                                1 20' cattle/hog panel
                                3 1"x10' PVC pipes
                                14 yards - indoor/outdoor carpet - assuming the walls are 42" tall
                                big bag of zip ties

Comment

Working...
                                X