Grim Reaper Fatal Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grim Reaper Fatal Steel

Last weekend a friend shot a really nice buck with a 125 grain Grim Reaper Fatal Steel. The shot was a tad high and a skootch forward. The shot penetrated the near side shoulder, and the spine, and stopped just under the offside shoulder. The deer dropped in it's tracks and died shortly thereafter.

Two of three blades broke off of the broadhead. The blades did not appear to open at all through the shot. Small holes all around.

Later we looked at the other two broadheads and it is nearly impossible to open the blades without grabbing them and pulling them straight out. If you push them from the front, like you might with any of the standard Grim Reaper designs, the blades simply will not open.

If you own some and plan to shoot a deer with them, you better take a look at them. It's possible that it's just this particular lot, but the remaining 2 are the same - they don't work. Check 'em before you shoot 'em.

I had a friend shoot an axis doe this year at the Baker 3 Ranch with one of those. Hit her square in the shoulder and it went in about an 1-1/2. She took off and the arrow fell out. After he looked at it he could tell it never opened. He pried the blades back an no blood at all inside he head.

Comment

I don't shoot the fatal steels but they are the same as the others. I've never had one fail to open. But I did break blades on 2 out of 3, although it was on the ground after it had passed through the deer. The only thing I can think of is maybe the blades are in the slots?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I don't shoot the fatal steels but they are the same as the others. I've never had one fail to open. But I did break blades on 2 out of 3, although it was on the ground after it had passed through the deer. The only thing I can think of is maybe the blades are in the slots?
        No. They are not the same thing. I have the 1 3/8" cut Razorcuts, and the 2" Whitetail Specials, and they both open and do great. It's specifically these Fatal Steels. They just don't hardly open.

Comment

Idk. Never tried them. I use the 2" whitetail specials. I thought the only difference between the two was the metal. I've had great success with Grim Reaper.

Comment

I found the problem with all 3 of mine as well. I took a file to the back of the blades to knock down the edge of the divot that the ring sits in. They work fine now but it took some time and some work. Shouldn't be something we should have to do with a brand new broadhead but that's why I always check my mechanicals before I hunt with them.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
              I had a friend shoot an axis doe this year at the Baker 3 Ranch with one of those. Hit her square in the shoulder and it went in about an 1-1/2. She took off and the arrow fell out. After he looked at it he could tell it never opened. He pried the blades back an no blood at all inside he head.
              The original rage BH did that to me on a gigantic good medal corsican ram back in 2004.

Comment

I shoot the 2'' Whitetail specials and have never had a problem. If that's the case I would give the folks at grim reaper a call and tell them about it.

Comment

Working...
                X