Strickland Helix in a hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strickland Helix in a hog

Last night I went out to Double L for a hog. Never shot the Helix. I have mixed feelings about it after my hunt. I shot a little farther back than I would have liked but it was quartering away slightly.
    Pros-
    complete pass-through
    no damage to the helix
    appears to have scrambled internals as some were coming out the entrance wound when we found it
    Cons- only one
    no blood trail
    The pig went about 40 yds and died. But because of the brush around me I couldn't get a good visual other than the general direction of where it went. There was blood on the arrow, but not a drop anywhere near where I shot it. If it hadn't been for their dog smokey there is no way I would have found the pig. There was a huge blood clot that fell out when we gutted it. It busted through ribs on both sides with ease. What I have learned is that I would not used the helix in an evening hunt but I would in the morning. I love how they fly, and I love the internal damage they do. But if you cant see where it went you are going to have a hard time tracking it. Next time out I'm going to try the SB DRT.

Sounds like the broadhead worked like it is supposed to. Sometimes pigs don't bleed well...especially with guts hanging out of the exit wound.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
      Last night I went out to Double L for a hog. Never shot the Helix. I have mixed feelings about it after my hunt. I shot a little farther back than I would have liked but it was quartering away slightly.
      Pros-
      complete pass-through
      no damage to the helix
      appears to have scrambled internals as some were coming out the entrance wound when we found it
      Cons- only one
      no blood trail
      The pig went about 40 yds and died. But because of the brush around me I couldn't get a good visual other than the general direction of where it went. There was blood on the arrow, but not a drop anywhere near where I shot it. If it hadn't been for their dog smokey there is no way I would have found the pig. There was a huge blood clot that fell out when we gutted it. It busted through ribs on both sides with ease. What I have learned is that I would not used the helix in an evening hunt but I would in the morning. I love how they fly, and I love the internal damage they do. But if you cant see where it went you are going to have a hard time tracking it. Next time out I'm going to try the SB DRT.
      did you get pics of entry and exit or internal? i just picked up a pack of these after reading quite a bit about single bevel broadheads.

Comment

Guts and the fat most pigs carry clogged your entry and exit holes. Pigs are bad about this and some just do not bleed well especially when you hit some guts and they have a good layer of fat.
        Almost any other head would have given you the same results.

Comment

The guts were coming out the entry wound. Pop at Double L said the more blades the better for hogs. Said the 2 blades don't hold the wound channel open enough. I like the single bevels and have no intention of not using the Helix heads. I'll just make sure I have plenty of daylight for tracking. I think if the scenario had happened in the morning I would have found the pig without the dog but no way at night. It did cut right through it though. And it died quick, I just couldn't see where it went from my vantage point.

Comment

That can happen with any BH on a hog

Comment

Any pics??

Comment

none that are good. How do you post pics on here

Comment

I've had problems with not good pass threw with the helix. It made it threw the first three but the fourth hog ran off with my arrow.

I'm guessing three hogs at a time is my limit with that head

Comment

Penetration was definitely no an issue.

Comment

It may have caused an internal tamponade due to the "twisting" effect it had on internal organs. I don't know, I do know those Helix look deadly but I've always wondered how they perform.

Comment

I shot a raccoon with one a while back and it literally ripped its guts out. I'd like to use one on a deer to see the difference.

Comment

As stated above, hogs are notoriously bad about not leaving blood trails. Hogs are naturally fatty animals and fat and bleeding wounds don't go well together for hunters. I have made pretty much the same shot on different hogs with the same head and the results have gone from no blood, to blood drops, to decent trail, to bad horror movie blood trails. Congrats on the kill.

Comment

Is got some and I love the way they are flying for me. The season has been slow for me so far but I'm looking forward to sticking one into a deer soon and see the results

Comment

Shooting my stricklands this weekend. Wow I really like how this bh flies and penetrates.

Comment

Working...
                              X