Axis Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Hunt!

Ok deer season is almost up and I've hunted more this year than I ever had in my life and I don't want to stop now! What is a good place to go to BOWhunt axis in the 500$ range. I might be able to spend a little more. Any and all input on great and not so great places will be appreciated. Thanks.

Russ, for most ranches it will be the wrong season for alot of hard antlered axis. there may be some that will allow you to harvest one in velvet but I don't know which ones that will be.
    Almost all of the bucks here are just starting to re-grow their antlers.

Comment

I was under the belief that axis bucks dropped antlers on or about their birthday,so it would vary on the buck himself?Atfer deer season and before it gets too warm maybe time to find inexpensive axis does!

Comment

Originally posted by RLoving1 View Post
        I was under the belief that axis bucks dropped antlers on or about their birthday,so it would vary on the buck himself?Atfer deer season and before it gets too warm maybe time to find inexpensive axis does!
        That is correct. Axis shed horns on or near their birthday. But if a rancher bought a bunch of bred axis does, and they all dropped about the same time, then all those bucks are gonna shed their antlers around the same time. If this happens several times, the whole herd of bucks will all be in velvet around the same time.

On a free range ranch, like my lease in Junction, you will have axis bucks in velvet, some with no antlers at all and some that have hard horns. You just never know.

Comment

Love me some Axis meat!!

Comment

I was on a hunt down on the Young Ranch a few years ago and took a mediocre axis(I was a happy camper) and a guy from Maryland decided he wanted one.He went out and they safari hunted one,he brought him back to camp for LDP's and when he went to hold him up one antler came off.He said guess the taxi better be worth his salt!

Comment

If I found a place that had doe hunts for a couple hundred a doe I would love that...after first of year I'd be gone! Great meat and fantastic hides for trophies!I gave the first one to the ex in divorce like a dork!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

try mesquite bow hunting, some of his are still hard horned, some are dropping, no doe hunts tho.

Comment

nothing like a spotted ribeye!!!!!

Comment

Hey Russ have you checked with T-Post? I'm looking at a trip down to the Bug scuffle early next year,and there are some others out there.

Comment

Check out Keith Johns Outdoors... nothing there(as far as Axis) will be hard horned until May. But he does Axis bucks for $500 and does for $250.

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                          Check out Keith Johns Outdoors... nothing there(as far as Axis) will be hard horned until May. But he does Axis bucks for $500 and does for $250.
                          That sounds like a good deal. Do you know much about the place? Size , location, is it canned, ect? Any info on what type of hunt to expect would be great thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RLoving1 View Post
                            Hey Russ have you checked with T-Post? I'm looking at a trip down to the Bug scuffle early next year,and there are some others out there.
                            Dont know T-post. He has some hunts? Do you have a #?

Comment

T-Post is Brian K. with the Bugscuffle. Thats who you'd be talking to if you called, him or his wife, Debbie, they are great folks.

Keiths place is very thick with brush. I think it is 400-500 acres. (can't remember) I thought it would be a cake walk...boy was I wrong. Definately not canned.

Comment

Working...
                              X