Open-top stock trailer rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open-top stock trailer rebuild

Here's the back-story. My dad bought this old shop-built trailer 15 or so years ago before he got sick with Alzheimers. He and my mother sat in their driveway and repainted it with paintbrushes over a two or three week period. They were both so proud of this little trailer. When Dad started to get too sick to take care of his Longhorns, he sold 'em off and loaned the trailer to me. When Dad died in 2010, my mother told me he'd wanted me to keep his trailer.

I used the trailer to haul donkeys and goats for a while, but the floor finally got too bad to use and the tires weren't in such good shape either. I parked the trailer by the barn and there it's sat for several years.

We started buying a few calves, so now I need a stock trailer again.

From what I know, the trailer was built by a company somewhere here in Texas in the mid to late 60's. It is solid and it is H-E-A-V-Y. The sides are solid steel, think sucker rod instead of round tubing. The sheet metal is 3 to 4 times as thick as what they use on new trailers.

The tongue jack is kind of unique as well; it has a stationary tongue on the bottom and a pivoting tube on top that adjusts up and down by using a huge screw with a crank handle mounted on top. This allows the tongue to be raised or lowered while keeping the trailer level. I'd never seen one just like it before; kind of clunky but it works. The doors slide out to the side instead of opening butterfly style. The doors are secured by a bolt that swings into a clevis and then dogs down like the lock on a ship's hatch. Overall, a pretty well engineered old trailer.
    Attached Files

First order of business was removing the old floor. Done.

Next I need to get everything sandblasted. One of the ag teachers owes me a favor, so come September I'll be knocking on his door.

Then paint - ag shop again?

While that's going on, I've got some white Oak logs. I'll mill those into 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 flooring on my sawmill.

Tires will be next.

Then a new canvas top.

It may take a while, but I'll keep posting updates if there's interest.

Comment

Yeah that looks like a heavy duty little trailer, looking forward to finished pictures.

Comment

Working...
      X