No announcement yet.

Picture a Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing on top of the top deck bait tank, tossing live sardines astern, we hammer away at Rockas Alijos - 186 miles due west of the Mexican Baja peninsula.

The three rock formation, looms up from thousands of feet below the sea. Lava eons of time ago, it's a scene full of sea life and Easter Island mystery all rolled up into one.

I will never forget this place.

Comment

Team Texas with one Canadian - green cap/center, kicking life aboard Polaris Supreme. We sailed with no expectations. The local regulars, Cali tribe, were serious the moment fish started to hit the deck.

As the fishing went on, it was apparent, we came to fish and the fish we hammered, Texas style. Them - lot of live bait up high and in the chum column....us, down deep with arties, in line weights, bottom bouncing and working long casts out along the light to darkness transition zone. We rule the night....these boys bunk down after the evening meal. The bigger grade fish, feed at night in the Gulf.....same to be said of the Baja.

At the close, we were congratulated and the Skipper's wife mentioned, "word has it, you schooled the local California boys......and you did it with tact, style and good times. Nothing bravado - just flat out good fishing."

Here we target tuna in water 3000 - 9000 ft deep. There, we anchor in water 160 - 250 ft deep. Here tuna fight straight up and down hard. There, tuna run down - hit the bottom and run out horizontally = leverage for the angler versus vertical. For this we put the heat on each fish hooked. And many, we simply pulled hooks on charging tuna. None of the pulled fish were deal makers though - smaller grade fish.

Good times

Comment

Over 350 fish decked with 50 of them being wahoo and over 200 yellowfin tuna.

Kub Ito - over 30 years running the Mexican Baja

Last edited by AtTheWall; 10-08-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Each fish is counted by species/score before getting dropped into the chill water brine cooler tank, with your assigned number stapled to a gill. 15 yellowfin tuna per person is the maximum tuna count. And a 30 total fish count, is the total quota count per man.

2 days into the trip, I hit 30 fish. I'm number 16 on the tracking chart. My number has the big black starburst next to it to the left.

I continue to fish, tagging fish for anglers who wanted every fish I decked, to maximize their quota.

I was the only angler to hit their limit. The fish were there....I was proof of that.

Comment

Awesome fishing pics

Comment

Thanks topduarte! Don't know how I do it and fish at the same time but no one else is willing to capture these moments on deck consistently.

Comment

Here's the track of Hurricane Rosa as a CAT 2. Rosa went up to 145 mph when she first ramped up below us. She moved as a CAT 2 / CAT 1 at our closest point and wrapped up above us (YELLOW) where she made landfall.

Our position fishing THE RIDGE is marked in RED.

We had some decent open storm swells and I know all of the Mexican and SOCAL surf breaks were firing.

Wahoo fired up as well and the opportunity to score striped Marlin was there but the boat/crew didn't want to mess with them. Lot of work with no gain for the score.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cedros Island Mexico

Stopping for a moment in Arizona - enroute San Diego. 1200 miles from the house to the dock.

Comment

Nice.............

Comment

From a chama NM mountain

Comment

Dang Rob...Those pics say it all. Looked like non stop action.
                        Time for you to write a book. Young man and the sea we'll call it
                        Great pics. Thanks for sharing as always.

Comment

Mini mantis
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Johnny and Tony!

Tony - in reflection, my entire life has been tied to Mother Ocean. So many years now and through each experience, I see and learn new things. She just keeps giving in so many ways.

Comment

A couple of the yellowfin tuna grade we scored off the Mexican Baja. Solid butterballs with excellent table fair grade eats.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X