Expandable = Bad shots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expandable = Bad shots?

I want to pose a question to the green screen. Does the large cutting size of expandable broad heads lead to hunters taking shots they shouldn’t or do hunters practice less because they feel that even a bad shot is lethal? I ask because reading broadhead reviews this seemed to be an underlying theme for those choosing expandable broadheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope I try to make the absolute best shot I can whether it’s with a Rage, Slick Trick, Jakhammer, Buzzcut, 223, or 460

Comment

I don't think so. IMO people always feel they put a "perfect shot" on the animal, but upon further reflection realize it may not have been so good. This is for both fixed and expandable heads.

I also have noticed a LOT of people force shots which end up bad because they either get so excited they shoot too soon, or at an alert animal. Or they feel they just can't let the animal go and must shoot even if it is a low percentage shot.

I don't feel the type of head lures people into making bad shots.

Comment

No matter what the broadhead is, that animal deserves the best shot placement for the quickest kill. It is not fair to that animal to make them suffer more than needed.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Quite the contrary for me. After hearing stories of lack of penetration of the expandables, I wait for a perfect shot. Broadside or slight qtr away. When I'm shooting fixed BHs (I keep a couple fixed BH arrows in the quiver as well at all times) I'm more willing to take more shots without worrying about lack of penetration. But then again, I'm still learning. Just my .02

Comment

No

Comment

No

Comment

does a 700hp hellcat lead to the driver doing 150+mph on the highway? no, the person behind the wheel would likely still try to do it in a 130hp civic.

the archer that would take a questionable shot would still likely take the shot regardless of what broadhead he is shooting.

Comment

I think the biggest problem with expandables is that people use them to mask a tuning or setup issue with their bow.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                    I want to pose a question to the green screen. Does the large cutting size of expandable broad heads lead to hunters taking shots they shouldn’t or do hunters practice less because they feel that even a bad shot is lethal? I ask because reading broadhead reviews this seemed to be an underlying theme for those choosing expandable broadheads.

Face palm.

Not practicing enough and shot choice are 2 completely separate issues that just so happen to collide for some "large" expandable bh users. Way too much broad stroke generalization in your question.

My shot choice has zero to do with the bh I have on my arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                      I think the biggest problem with expandables is that people use them to mask a tuning or setup issue with their bow.
                      My Halon shoots Magnus Stingers and Hypos exactly the same at 35 yds and I keep both in my quiver. The gentleman above says that shot selection has nothing to do with his BH... I agree to an extent. I'm a bit apprehensive about putting a mechanical head right on a shoulder. I was given a bunch of Rage BHs when I bought my bow. I'll continue to use them on light-skinned animals until I run out but I choose to shoot pigs with the fixed heads. If that makes any sense at all...
                      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 12-15-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Red and Whiplash could have closed this thread. No better answer given. The hunter that purposefully takes a bad shot will do it no matter the head, or bow, and to often I have heard, well I can't make field points and broads hit together so I shoot expandable and just sight those in... This irritates me extremely bad. Poor flight can equal poor penetration, and lack of retrieval. I am now shooting the Carnifour by Grim Reaper. So Far EVERTHING I hit leaves lots of short blood trails. I liked fixed blade, but tried these on a whim. No sense on not using something that has worked.
                        Thought I should point out, I AM NOT using the mechanical with the recurve. I have Bear Greenies for that.
                        Last edited by Dry Bones; 12-15-2017, 08:59 AM.

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                            after 12 years of owning an archery shop , this has turned out to be the biggest factor of all,,, they either can't/ wont tune or get their bow tuned...

it also falls in line with many of those same people using a fall away because it is more accurate, when the real issue is crappy form and the
                            expandable/fallaways are band aides applied to problems they can not or will not try to fix...

in general many people choose an expandable because they don't really practice and it is the "quick fix"

Comment

i cant tell you how many times i have drawn back and held only to let down seeing the animal slowly walk off- never got that qtr away or perfect broadside so I wont chance it. not only that expandables really dont act the same way when hitting at an extreme angle so that is something else to consider

Comment

Working...
                              X