No announcement yet.

Switching shooting styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who has and is currently fighting the DEMON I can say that personally no I wouldn't use pins or a release. I did try string walking to use the shaft as a sight pin but it only made things worse.
    I don't wish this on anyone but I will say until you've experienced it you will never understand it.
    It is purely mental, for me I could draw my bow back while saying in my mind "I'm not going to let this arrow go" and before I get anywhere close to settled in on a spot, WHOOSH it's gone. You can draw while looking at a spot on the wall or the T.V. and hold forever but try it with a target in front of you and suddenly you can't control your own body.
    I believe it's like being an addict. Once you have it (or it has you) you have to work at not backsliding but you're never really cured.
    I'm currently working on a new treatment that seems to be helping. Still to far away to say conclusively, only time will tell.

Comment

I honestly feel like I'm being pranked every time I read one of these TP threads.

I'm sure its real but I just don't get hit.

Something comparable to the shanks in golf I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
        I honestly feel like I'm being pranked every time I read one of these TP threads.

I'm sure its real but I just don't get hit.

Something comparable to the shanks in golf I suppose.
        That's exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

I agree with every thing Rick said. No release but a sight can certainly help. Also, as he said, you will get the added benefit of better form is you get dialed in with the sight and it will carry over to when you take the sight off. I've used it my self and know this works.

Comment

I used a release for a very short time as it kept me from releasing too early. If your finger is not on the trigger you cannot release. I just could not get used to it though honestly I did not give it an honest chance.

Also when I shot a release with my trad equipment and when I shoot a compound after shooting trad it takes a bit to get used to. I have actually tried to release with by relaxing my fingers instead of pulling the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
              I don't understand the concept of target panic. Drawing a bow and releasing an arrow at a target is a fairly simple action. What would cause one to panic in that process? I grew up shooting compounds and recurves instinctively using my fingers. Learn to shoot where you look. I watched all the videos on string walking and gap aiming. That made me panic!
              It is good that there are archer/bowhunters like speck (and one or two others who replied in the same vein). I'd hate to think all had the same terrible experience that I had on two separate occasions in my archery life (early on shooting trad, and many years later shooting pins).

Alas, those of us who have gone through it likewise wish we had no idea what the "great unwashed" were talking about. It is indeed a demon, and very similar to an addiction. I tend to call it a disease. Sometimes there is no cure at all. Some claim to have taken the cure by shooting at blank bales for months on end (and I believe them, but never had the patience to succeed with it).

To be clear regarding my original post, I tend to think that a really bad and intractable case of TP can be at least somewhat abated by switching shooting styles for a few months or longer. At first, it may feel like you are cheating, but over the long run, it may give you the relief you are looking for in your first love - shooting trad.

Comment

AJ,
                Sorry if I came across as uncompassionate. I don't fully understand how target panic occurs but I am sure it is really frustrating. I hope you find a way to get back the accuracy and start having fun again. Mike

Comment

AJ,
                  I reread your original post and read your add in the classifieds. You apparently don't have target panic as you sell an apparent solution for those that do. Good luck with the venture.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                    AJ,
                    I reread your original post and read your add in the classifieds. You apparently don't have target panic as you sell an apparent solution for those that do. Good luck with the venture.
                    So this thread is basically spam.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I have found it interesting that just like the term "instinctive" means different things to different folks... "target panic" also means different things to different folks.

Target Panic, to me, means that your anxiety/stress increases when you are drawing onto a target. AKA performance anxiety. Your brain is stressed and you are not relaxed. You lack confidence in what you are about to do. The symptoms vary:

1) Snap shoot when you otherwise don't
                      2) Uncontrolled release
                      3) Can't get your pin on the target
                      4) Rush the shot
                      5) Clutching
                      6) Can't let go of the string
                      7) Won't let go of the string
                      8) Closing your eyes before you let go.
                      9) others I can't think of or haven't learned about.

My personal opinion is that certain symptoms where the archer is not in control... and thus can't seem to fix the problem stem from the fact that the stress is in direct control over that subconscious step. It has been in the background so much, that it is ****ed near impossible to unlearn that behavior and since it is in control... how do you stop it from happening?

I have performance anxiety like crazy at many times when I pick up my bow. As WT season approaches, it gets worse. Sometimes at 3D shoots I get nervous about my shooting. I tend to hold the string longer (won't let go) because I am lacking confidence in the moment. I rush the shot because I just want to get the shot over with... ie I am not expecting a good result.

Since it is all "mental" or psychological... I do try things that stave off letting it be more than just a shallow impact. First... I forgive myself. I let myself off the hook. This is hard for me, but I look back and think of my successes and not dwell too hard on the failures. I see that I have improved... and I assess the reality of what I can achieve. Second, I try and focus on other things to take my mind off of the problem. I convince myself that the shooting will take care of itself and that there are other things to focus on as well. Third, I keep my shot sequence in the forefront of my mind. Sometimes, things can slip away over time. My grip, follow through, etc often times disappear from focus and I have to slow down and bring those back. I set reasonable expectations that things are just not going to improve overnight. Fourth... I make sure I shoot for fun as much as I can. Let my brain relax... and not stress out about the result of every shot.

This is what I do... I hope it holds out

One last thing. As an observation... it seems like some of the best archers I know develop TP. I believe they develop it because they are some of the best archers. There isn't a whole lotta reason to develop severe performance anxiety unless you have built up a very high set of expectations for yourself. That tends to happen when you have success in the field or on the course. I know my anxiety comes from having a high level of personal expectations that I set for myself. Not from success, but from desired success. It is a hard balance to be driven... yet forgive yourself for not achieving potentially unrealistic expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        So this thread is basically spam.

But he is a sponsor, so all is good, and from what I understand, he has helped a lot of folks with this issue.

All is good.

Rick

Comment

No not imo.

Comment

Who doesn't experience some increased anxiety when they draw on an animal?
                            That's part of the rush. The first time I tried to draw on a bear at 15 yards I couldn't pull my bow back. Took 10 minutes to regain my composure and make the shot. That's why I love it. Was that target panic? I don't know, but I did not require therapy or a safe space to be able to shoot again. I have friends that are deadly on 3D bucks but can't make the same shot on a live buck. They just let themselves get too shook up. The key is controlling the adrenaline rush enough to make a good shot.

Comment

I basically think that classified adds should be in the classifieds. I'm glad some people have gotten help that needed it but I don't come to the trad page to be solicited.

but maybe I'm being an A (o) I don't know. If so then blame it on my birthday

Comment

Well La Te Da.

This could be a good discussion (about trad), if you guys would let it.
                                Some folks experience the problem. Some don't.

I've had TP so bad, that I didn't even like talking about it, or even reading about it for fear it would start stomping on me again.

The classifieds are for Sponsors, and Non Sponsors alike, but Sponsors can post their goods anywhere they want, as long as it pertains to the dedicated forum topics.

This pertains, whether it applies to everyone, or not.

Leave him alone, and let him help folks if he can.
                                If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X