Fredericksburg Area Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fredericksburg Area Hunting

Just got a new place in Fredericksburg. Haven't hunted this area of the Hill Country in a while so want to see what people think. We are west of 87 near Pecan Creek Rd. Place is almost 900 acres, we hunt on about 700 of it, with 4 people on the lease. Wondering what to expect on quality and what if any exotics people are seeing around that area. I know we have Blackbuck, but the owner seems to think axis are not really in that area, I dunno. Anyway, let me know what you think about the area and post of some pictures if you will.
    Last edited by bigbad243; 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM.

The whole area is junk. You would be better off in east Tx. You caught me at just the right time so I will refund your money to get you out of your misery. I'm just in it for the wine [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol, the wine is a nice perk for my wife!

Comment

Tons of axis around those parts. Id be surprised if yall dont see any

Comment

When we hunted the area, we had quite a few sika, too. Actually never knew what might show up- axis, sika, hogs, blackbuck, aoudad. We took a few reasonably nice WT, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
            Lol, the wine is a nice perk for my wife!
            so she shouldn't mind you paying up front for the next couple of seasons. nice score sir

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ Pops View Post
              When we hunted the area, we had quite a few sika, too. Actually never knew what might show up- axis, sika, hogs, blackbuck, aoudad. We took a few reasonably nice WT, too.
              Where in Fredericksburg did you hunt?

Comment

I've hunted close to there in Stonewall and Harper and neither lease had exotics. If you killed a 130" deer you did something. That was 6-7 years ago. Tons of deer though. But I think every place is different.
                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 03-02-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Target rich area. Don't expect to shoot a monster whitetail, but you have a good chance of seeing exotics.

Comment

I hunt in Fred. Just off 290 and Luckenbach Rd. We see tons of whitetail but no really big bucks. I have killed an axis buck with my bow the last 2 years and have seen more than I can count. It's just rare that they come into bow range on our place. I doubt you will get bored hunting up there.

Comment

We are north of Fredericksburg near enchanted rock. We have decent whitetail that average in 120-130 range with occasional animals pushing 140. We see aoudad every now and then but mostly just whitetail.

Comment

The exotics roam quite a large area; some years we have them, others not so much. The WT are numerous, not huge in size. The number of hunters in the FBG area have definitely increased over the years. My family has hunted in Gillespie County for nearly 70 years and have seen the progression of WT over the years. Things have and continue to change every year. It's a great place to be able to hunt and enjoy the hill country. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Anyone have any pictures of deer they have killed around the area I am going to be hunting?

Comment

I live west of town these are low fence deer on the ranch I live on.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Those are nice deer! We are west of town as well, and a little north between 87 and 290

Comment

Working...
                              X