Outboard motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard motor question

So I pulled my boat out last week and hooked it up to the water hose so that I could start it before I get time to get out. Of course, it has sit all winter. (I drained and winterized it, ran all the fuel out etc). I pumped the bulb and choked it a few times before she finally fired. Idled it for about 3-4 minutes, disconnected the water hose and put back in the shop. I few days later I noticed this oil on the floor....is it just “blow-by” from not being run, oil too rich or do you think I need to replace the seal around the prop shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 Stroke?

Comment

Odds are is excess oil from first fuel of the season. Does it have oil tank or do you premix?

Comment

That's awful black and looks kinda thick for it to come from the gas. Whats the lower unit oil look like?

Comment

Lower unit looks like an older Johnson or Evinrude? If so, check your carb bowls and see if you have any oil residue on them. I had an issue with the pump and line remaining under pressure and the gas would push out of the bowl and run down the shift tube. It looked similar to yours.

I would go ahead and drain your lower unit and see if it looks the same as the oil on the floor. I doubt it is, but changing the LU oil is good to do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            That's awful black and looks kinda thick for it to come from the gas. Whats the lower unit oil look like?
            It is awfully black, but that makes me think it is oil from the gas. Lower unit oil is much more honey colored. But definitely would check lower unit oil. If its coming out, for sure water would go in.

Comment

That's way too much oil. I'd bet a hundy it's your prop shaft seal.

Comment

That’s normal I wouldn’t worry ..

Comment

yes.. mine does similar. Older motors much more so.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                    It is awfully black, but that makes me think it is oil from the gas. Lower unit oil is much more honey colored. But definitely would check lower unit oil. If its coming out, for sure water would go in.
                    Unless the lower unit oil is burnt up and old. If it's 4 stroke it's not gas. If it's 2 and the gear case oil is still brown it's gas draining by and a little more than I'd like to see

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Smell it. L/U grease smells like rotton eggs. Still bet it combustion residue. Seen it many time from stored engines.' As wall hanger said, oil tank gets pressurized and fills carb bowls with oil. Run it a while and it will clear out at least til next.season.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        My thoughts as well.

Comment

Outboard motor question

Thanks for the info guys. Info I should have given earlier...it is an Evinrude 115 2 stroke.
                          I haven’t had time to check the lower unit levels yet, but will do that next time. No time to go fishing either....

Last edited by MarlinMears; 04-18-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Thats not a four stroke

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Thats not a four stroke

You’re correct! Edited.

Comment

Working...
                              X