Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Lightbulb Yildez Shotgun Opinions?

Would appreciate only those who own one or have shot them please?

I believe they are made in Turkey, correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wondering the build and if your experience has been good or bad and why? If you don't have "hand's on" then please refrain from bashing just based on price and manufacturer.

Yep, had the Brownings and other brands over the years but not in the budget these days so looking for something for my deployed son who is building his collection when he finally gets home.

Kuma
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

I have 2 that are practically like new, a 12 and a 20 gauge. I bought them second hand and have only fired the 20 a few times. I believe that they are a very good value for the money, but that’s mostly based on the opinions of others with much more experience than me.

I bought these mostly out of curiosity and I will likely sell them both, since I have a few other high end shotguns.
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
twostepct
Six Point

I have 3 of them, two 12's and a 20. I bought the 20 in 2005 and have dove hunted mostly with it. My son shot 4h clays with his. The only problem I've had is periodically a shell will swell a bit in one of the chambers on my 12. But, if they still sold the 28ga with 28" barrels I'd have one of those too.
twostepct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Royal
Six Point

I have the 28 gauge version of the over/under. Great little guns for the money. Very lightweight which could be a problem in the 12 gauge with recoil. No issues with the 28 gauge though.
Royal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
sir huntsalot
Eight Point

I've had a 20 gauge youth model for several years and shoot it quite a bit (several hundred rounds a year). So far, no complaints. I'd buy another one.
sir huntsalot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Great shotguns imported by Academy. Warranty thru Briley. For the money, a great values.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

I shoot my 12. three or four times a week during dove season. Its on it's 5th year now with no issues. Does kick pretty good though but it's a great gun for the money.
IvoryRoot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

My boys competed in 4-H shotgun with Yildez 20g over/under for 2 years. I have no idea how many thousand rounds are through each gun but they both still run perfect. My oldest son usually grabs is $400 Yildez to dove and quail hunt instead of his $1400 Beretta.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Great shotguns imported by Academy. Warranty thru Briley. For the money, a great values.
^

I love my 20 ga. Great gun.
Attached Images

Last edited by HoustonHunter; 04-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Itís a cock slayer, too.
Attached Images

HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
CodyWitt
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

They kick.... besides that awesome guns.
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
Mrsailfish
Four Point

I have a 20 gauge that I used for years dove hunting, never had any problems and killed hundreds of dove with it. I then bought my two sons 20 gauge for Christmas, they have used them for years also. They are worth it in my opinion. I got a beretta and now use it and use the gilded for back up. Go for it
Mrsailfish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
10-96inTexas
Eight Point

Several of us took the leap and bought the 28ga o/u. We all really like it. I kill just as many birds with my 28 as I did with a 12 and enjoy the soft kick. Not a hiccup yet in any of ours.
10-96inTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 AM   #14
CaprockRoamer
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can get permission

I have one in 28 gauge, and it has become the only gun I use for wing shooting. I use it on everything except geese. For the price you pay for one, if you're like I am, it should pay for itself pretty quickly. Fit and finish may not be the absolute greatest, but they function exceptionally well and shoot where I point. I know several other people that own yildiz shotguns, and the only complaint I've heard is that the 20 gauge has a little more recoil than most folks enjoy.
CaprockRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #15
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

I've been shopping around for my son a shotgun as well. He's younger (11). He really liked the Yildez shotguns you mentioned. He liked the way they looked more than some of the other shotguns. I had never really heard of them before (although I'm not a big time gun guy so that's not saying a lot). It's good to see a thread on here to get honest real world experiences. Online reviews seemed to mention recoil being "heavy". That was my only concern for him being younger.

Guess I'll buy him one today or tomorrow and give it a whirl. I'll let you know how it does.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #16
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

Love my 12 ga. I bought it from a fellow TBHer last year. I havenít noticed a difference in the recoil from my other shotguns, but thatís probably because he had put a Limbsaver butt pad on it which Iím sure is the reason. Great gun!
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #17
Rick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction

I have a 12 ga. Like said before they are light, and they kick more than a heavier gun. I use it mainly for skeet, very pleased with it
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #18
Bort
Six Point

I’ve shot my friend’s a couple of times over the years while shooting trap. His was a bit heavier than my Browning, but it’s a great no nonesense gun. It can’t be beat for the price.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #19
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

For the money they are good guns. We have some in our 4H club and we usually get about 2 years out of them...roughly 10,000 rounds before ejectors give up, firing pins break, or they just get too loose. Most folks don't shoot 10,000 rounds in their life though. When they crap out we just go buy another one. You can buy a safe load of them for what a higher end gun will run you. I will confirm that they do kick. Our 20's have more felt recoil than a 692 12 gauge.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #20
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

I had a 12 that I really liked, kicked pretty good but not bad! I was trying to trade/sell
My Steiger M3000 to get a 20 ga Yildiz not that long ago!
160class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #21
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

I've got a 20 that I really like. I can miss birds with it just as well as I do with a much more expensive shotgun. Lightweight and do kick a little more, but overall a very serviceable gun. You won't be disappointed.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #22
rjs68
Four Point

Hunt In: hill country

I have a 12 and 20 gauge that my son and I shoot, no issues with either of them, very good value in my opinion. The recoil was strong but I bought Limbsaver recoil pads for them and that seemed to tame the recoil substantially. If you buy one from Academy ask to see more than one since the wood grain can vary quite a bit between guns.
rjs68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #23
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
x2!

They are quality shotguns. Fairly light
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #24
duckmanep
Ten Point

The limbsaver pad makes them much more enjoyable to shoot. There was a pic floating around here a couple of years ago of one that blew up, but that is really the only negative thing I have seen on them. Go buy one.
duckmanep is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #25
Hornet Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

We have three. One 12 and two 20's. The twelve did pack a wallop. I just added some coins to the inside of the stock and tamed it down. Biggest problem is with the ejectors not working. I believe they may be coated with a lacquer that gets sticky once it gets hot. Cleaned it really good with break cleaner and a brush and haven't had any more problems.
Hornet Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

I have shot several different 20's and they are handy little guns. Light aluminum receivers make recoil an issue, but they are awesome for the price.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Micahbo
Spike

Hunt In: Bastrop County and Lampasas County

I have a 20. My wife is a way better shot with it, so I never shoot it. Maybe my wife has a 20. Haha
Micahbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #28
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Thanks all!! Talking to my two other son's to get our Military Hero one! Now, O/U or a semi is the ? Really appreciated the responses and a 1st...no Brand or Cost bashing... lol!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #29
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Thanks all!! Talking to my two other son's to get our Military Hero one! Now, O/U or a semi is the ? Really appreciated the responses and a 1st...no Brand or Cost bashing... lol!
They are junk Turkish made everyone knows if itís not a 1500$ shotgun it wonít pattern properly.

Jk I have a 12 gauge yildiz and love it.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #30
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
They are junk Turkish made everyone knows if itís not a 1500$ shotgun it wonít pattern properly.

Jk I have a 12 gauge yildiz and love it.
LOl.....you just could not resist? I know, in jest!
Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #31
3rdShot
Ten Point

I have 2 12ga and a 20ga. Have used the original 12ga for two dove seasons. Liked it well enough to get a 20ga for my son for this coming year, and got the second 12ga due to the fancy Texas engraving, bought that one from another TBH'er.
3rdShot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #32
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, TX - Mills County

I bought an O/U 12 ga. Yildiz a few years ago as a back-up/loaner shotgun. They are made in Turkey, sold exclusively by Academy, and warranty work is done by Briley in Houston, TX. The Turks make an excellent shotgun. Mine has beautiful wood, and is well fitted. However, I don't think the Turks know or care about recoil pads. I added a Limbsaver recoil pad and a magnetic fiber optic bead sight and this is now my go to shotgun. I had problems in the first year of its life with the selector switch not functioning correctly, and Academy sent it straight off to Briley for warranty repair. No problems once Briley fixed the selectors. BTW, I called Briley and spoke with their warranty repair department to ask if they get a lot of Yildiz shotguns back for warranty work, and he said the number one repair they do is replacement of broken firing pins. He suggested using snap caps if you wanted to dry fire the piece. I'd love to get a Yildiz semi-auto shotgun, but I really only shoot doves and occasional clays anymore, so I really can't justify the cost of a new shotgun.

Good luck,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #33
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

They're fine get-the-job-done guns.
A space filler that won't disappoint you, not a "collection" gun.
If time is on your side, I'd wait a bit and get something like a Daly. Still great value.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #34
Raider4044
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I had a SPZ-ME 12 gauge a few years ago and had a bad experience. Every kind of shell you put through it would get stuck in the chamber about every other shot. I tried Cheapo Winchesters, Cheapo Remington, Remington Sure-Shot, Rio, some High-Dollar Federal, Remington Nitro-Gold, and Winchester AA's. I cleaned it really good multiple times and that did not help. So I sent it off to Briley's and included several of the hulls that had gotten stuck. I sent a couple AA's, a couple Nitro-Golds, a Sure-Shot, and a Cheapo Winchester. When I got the gun back a couple months later, they explained in a note that there was no problem, and that the gun was not designed to shoot budget ammunition. I understand that the $4.99/box Winchesters and Rios aren't the best quality shells, but the $8-10 AA's and Nitro Golds sure as heck aren't "budget"! They went on to say that they also cleaned the gun thoroughly. I took the gun outside and shot 5 Nitro-Golds and 5 AA's.... Only one ejected. I ended up taking the gun to academy and explaining the situation. They ended up refunding my money and getting that piece of junk out of my hands.

My shotgun was probably just a lemon, as I have heard many good things about them, but my experience was enough to steer me clear of the Yildiz Brand.
Raider4044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #35
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I have been seeing a lot about Turkey and their firearm manufacturing in gun magazines the last few years. They have a few new factories working with state of the art tooling under license from many manufacturers.. They are making MP5 copies under the Zenith brand that are almost as good as the HK models. Also many copies of 1911's and the CZ75's.
Don't think you can go wrong with these guns. They are economy priced, but not cheap.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #36
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
They are economy priced, but not cheap.
If $429 for an O/U with a solid wood stock and engraving ain't cheap, what is?!?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #37
Blue_bonnet
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke county

Bought my son who is now 13 the 28ga o/u for 4h when he was 11. He still shoots it for 4h and we haven’t had an issue. Good little gun!
Blue_bonnet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #38
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
If $429 for an O/U with a solid wood stock and engraving ain't cheap, what is?!?
Cheap blows up in your face. Cheap in my experience has been Chinese firearms. The gun has to pass the proofing in order to get out of the factory....we hope. The labor cost to build these guns is the difference. If Turks were making the same gun in Italy you would gladly pay a grand for it. If Italians were making them in Turkey, you would only pay $429
I have shot these guns at the trap course and they performed fine. You can pay more, but 55 mph is 55mph no matter what vehicle your rolling in.
Gun goes bang, gun goes bang. Style is a horse of a different color.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #39
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

Iím taking my 12ga to a school fundraiser skeet shoot this weekend. Iíll let yíall know how it does up against all the high rollers that have guns 4x the price
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #40
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

My parents bought me a 12 ga auto for my birthday a year or two ago. I’ve shot bird shot and 3” duck shells out of it and haven’t had any issues with it
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #41
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

looking at the academy site, there is an SPZ ME for $429, ME steel for 499, and ME special for 679. Reading the description, only the steel has a steel receiver? Is that correct? Other differences?
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #42
mobrien
Four Point

Hunt In: London, TX area
Default Good guns

I plan to buy one myself, shot a friendís and really loved it.
mobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #43
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Great guns for the price. If you are going to shoot 500-600 rounds a year they will last a long time. If you plan on shooting a couple hundred rounds ever week shooting clays it won’t last like other higher end guns will. Well worth the money
Wil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Another satisfied owner of a 20. And yes I see a lot of them on 4h/ffa shoots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #45
em12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Meridian

I have had a good experience with mine as well- a 12 o/u. It does kick a bit but nothing unbearable. I don’t use it much because I have other more sentimental guns that get the use and I went to an auto loader for duck hunting. I would sell it if anyone is interested, it’s just sat in the safe for 2 years now I guess.
em12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #46
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Another satisfied owner of a 20. And yes I see a lot of them on 4h/ffa shoots

Going off just visiting Academy web site they listed NO 20 gauge semi-auto in the Yildiz? At least in the North Texas area they seem to feature the Tristar brand now? It's also a Turkish manufacturer....wondering if they made a change??
Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #47
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Going off just visiting Academy web site they listed NO 20 gauge semi-auto in the Yildiz? At least in the North Texas area they seem to feature the Tristar brand now? It's also a Turkish manufacturer....wondering if they made a change??
Ours is o/u. Dunns sporting goods had benelli montifeltros for 699 the other day. 20ga only

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #48
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

Tristar auto kicks harder than an O/U believe it or not.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #49
Havalon
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Have a friend who shoots one, and no problems. He can't hit the side of a barn, but it's not the gun's fault..
Havalon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2018, 05:24 AM   #50
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Quote:
Originally Posted by em12 View Post
I have had a good experience with mine as well- a 12 o/u. It does kick a bit but nothing unbearable. I donít use it much because I have other more sentimental guns that get the use and I went to an auto loader for duck hunting. I would sell it if anyone is interested, itís just sat in the safe for 2 years now I guess.
sent you pm
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top