Turkey question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey question

What do these stiff cold fronts do to turkey movement and does anybody have any tips for calling them in during these cold fronts?

In my opinion, it’s not so much the cold front rather the wind being a problem. If the wind really picks up turkey seem to be less vocal and if the do respond to calls it’s harder to hear. With winds being higher it takes out or lessen their ability to hear good so they are on higher alert. But I wouldn’t go hunting just because of that. I’ve killed many birds on very windy days. Just be on extra alert because they will show up unexpected

Comment

This year I hunted a 3 day period that had a very stiff cold front come through. Went from 60/80 down to 30/40 in less than 12 hours.

I used the same calling strategy the entire time. Purr, cut, and then ramp into a high yelp if I don't hear a gobble. Wait 10 minutes or so between call sequences.

When it was very windy, I didn't get any distant gobbles, but I still got birds to come by that were clearly looking for hens (gobbled when they got inside 20 yards.) The trick of course is to be where the birds frequent (feeders, edges, etc.)

I'm by no means an expert... but my experience over the last 3 years is to ignore the weather and just go out and hunt them and call. I've killed birds now, in all sorts of conditions (thunderstorms, fronts, wind, heat, etc.)

Comment

Working...
      X