No announcement yet.

Salary Employee’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is whether you're exempt or non-exempt, salary vs hourly is a misnomer when discussing OT. Not all salaried employees are exempt but I'll assume you are.. That means you aren't legally entitled to overtime under the FLSA so there is no limit to the number of hours your company can ask you to work and you're never officially off the clock. However, as pointed out above, most companies don't expect you to work 24/7. If yours does your best recourse is to talk to your boss or find another job.
    Also the "new" law referenced above never took effect due to a federal court ruling. There are still supposed to be new guidelines from the DOL regarding OT at some point but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I’m salary, I work M-F 40-50 hours work week. Weekends and Holidays off + vacation time.

Comment

I'm just baffled at the comments saying " I would never take a salaried position." That might be one of the worse blanket statements ever. I've been both and as discussed in this thread once your into upper management bonus structures and incentives can change dramatically. Every situation has to be looked at differently.

Comment

Dang didn't mean to shut the discussion down OP. I had the death post.

Comment

They all run out of steam at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
              A lot of hate on Labor unions.. I’m a fireman, proud of the job I do.. I picked my job, you picked yours. Let’s not get ugly because we know how to negotiate.
              Really what you are saying is you cant negotiate your own pay and benefits you have to strong arm people with threats of everyone walking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
                I'm in logistics which is a 24/7/365 job. While I am salaried, I also make commission. Very rarely am I not working at any given time on any given day. Its the nature of the beast!
                Yup, I’m in sales not logistics but if I want to make the money I want I always have my phone on me to answer calls and emails. My wife isn’t a fan but then again she enjoys the commission checks

Pm me who you work for. My best friend owns a logistics company and y’all have probably done business with each other

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  I get best of both worlds, I'm salary non-exempt. So I get paid my salary, anything over my normal 40 hour work week is OT. No way I would work a job where I didn't get compensated for anything over 40 hours.
                  So isnt that the same thing as hourly? Most hourly people get X amount of money for 40 and OT for anything over..

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                    So isnt that the same thing as hourly? Most hourly people get X amount of money for 40 and OT for anything over..
                    Salary really just means you have PTO.

It comes down to exempt and non exempt.... period.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      My hourly employees get PTO as well.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                        My hourly employees get PTO as well.
                        you are looking at salaried as meaning non exempt, simply not the case.

Only two jobs type... exempt and non exempt... non exempt simply means you “have to” be paid 1.5 for OT.

you can be exempt and get paid straight time or time in half for hours over 40 but the government doesn’t mandate 1.5x.

Exempt employees have won numerous law suits for the non paid over 40 hr work week.

Comment

It comes down to exempt and non exempt.... period.
                          I see that but don't most hourly full time employees get paid vacation..? I'm not trying to argue i just thought full time did.. I know we are hourly and we get x amount of money put into a vacation account per hour worked and we can take off and get pto or they will send us a check for what's in there every 6 months, if you work 40 hours a week it comes out to 4 weeks pay a year.. and I know most don't work like this but we get 2.0 OT for any hour that doesn't fall between 6:00-4:30 mon-thurs.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                            I see that but don't most hourly full time employees get paid vacation..? I'm not trying to argue i just thought full time did.. I know we are hourly and we get x amount of money put into a vacation account per hour worked and we can take off and get pto or they will send us a check for what's in there every 6 months, if you work 40 hours a week it comes out to 4 weeks pay a year.. and I know most don't work like this but we get 2.0 OT for any hour that doesn't fall between 6:00-4:30 mon-thurs.
                            If offered, acrude PTO is the same wether exempt or non exempt.

Government is about protecting the lessor incomes, so it mandates 1.5x OT for certain job titles and pay rates.

Salary basically means if I work 2080 hr this is what I make.

Lot of companies that pay straight time to exempt employees on all hours over 40. There are no laws mandating you have to work and not get paid, but there laws mandating you get paid for your work.

Comment

Only two jobs type... exempt and non exempt... non exempt simply means you “have to” be paid 1.5 for OT.

you can be exempt and get paid straight time or time in half for hours over 40 but the government doesn’t mandate 1.5x.

Exempt employees have won numerous law suits for the non paid over 40 hr work week.

No, I was just saying that my hourly employees get PTO.

Comment

you're off the res a bit, cuz.

salary does not "just mean you get PTO." That's what you said that is confusing because it is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X