FINALLY ready for heat treat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY ready for heat treat...

I took this pic yesterday, but finally finished sanding them all up and now have them boxed up ready to ship for heat treat tomorrow... 23 total knives! I don't want to see another hand file for a while!!haha Now to order handle material!!
    Attached Files

Good grief, that's a pile of blades. Surely you didn't hand file all of those?? Good work either way.

Comment

If you hand filed every one of those you're some kind of super human. Good Lord.

Comment

well, the blades were ground out with hand files...should have clarified! I used a 4x36 sander and a 6" disk sander to get the blade blanks shaped up, then used the hand files to grind down the blades to an edge and the finger grooves on the last blade...so no, they weren't completely done with files, but it was plenty enough for me!!!haha

Comment

I hope you didn't take the edge down too thin. That can cause problems during heat treat.

Comment

That's alot of work there! Who's doing your HT? Peters?

Comment

lots of work especially by hand. you not drilling holes to pins in the big chopper?

Comment

Yes it was a lot of work but it kept me busy and i really did enjoy the time in the shop! And yes, I drilled holes for pins and a lanyard tube...I took that pic the day before I drilled it and sanded them all down. Heat treat is being done by Paul bos... I don't think I ground them down too much but guess I'll find out when I get em back in a week or so!

Comment

That's more blades than you can stick a shake at!

Comment

which 4x36 grinder/sander do you have? I have been contemplating purchasing one just do not know what is a good buy without breaking the bank. I kinda like the one lowes has but I do not know anything about how they are built, Porter-cable sander.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco611 View Post
                      which 4x36 grinder/sander do you have? I have been contemplating purchasing one just do not know what is a good buy without breaking the bank. I kinda like the one lowes has but I do not know anything about how they are built, Porter-cable sander.
                      I got a cheap ryobi at home depot...has done pretty well on what I use it for!!

Comment

thanks for the info and quick response.

Comment

looking good

Comment

I want to see how the 2 in the group 2nd from the top come out!

Comment

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                              I want to see how the 2 in the group 2nd from the top come out!
                              Those are both going to have pink g10 handles so they will probably be a little different than you imagined!haha My friend asked me to make them for his 2 daughters for Christmas presents. He guides hog hunts with dogs and kills them with knives only, so he wants pink handled ones for his daughters to use

I'll post some more pics when I make some progress...got all the handle material in today now just got to wait til they get back from Idaho!

Comment

Working...
                              X