Water Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Well

I talked to a company about drilling a well for me in the Kempner area. He’s not sure he can find water on my place. That statement got me wondering, isn’t there a way to test for that sort of thing before you sink thousands of $$$ to end up with a dry well? Surely there must be a map of known aquifers in the area, no?? I admittedly know nothing about this process so any guidance would be appreciated from the green screen.

Talk with somebody that has been drilling wells in the area for a good amount of years. They should have a map and notes on how deep they had to go on wells they've done and they should be able to give you a good idea as to what's below the surface. I'm not real sure what else you could do besides paying up and drilling a hole.

Comment

Go to www.twdb.texas.gov Then click on “groundwater” then “submitted drillers report database”. Then you can search by map or by county. It’s the best way i know how to do it. Just remember though, this isn’t a database for all water wells, just those that have been submitted.

Or just use this link: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwate...drillersdb.asp
      Last edited by Puncher51; 06-01-2018, 10:24 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Originally posted by Mastro View Post
        I talked to a company about drilling a well for me in the Kempner area. He’s not sure he can find water on my place. That statement got me wondering, isn’t there a way to test for that sort of thing before you sink thousands of $$$ to end up with a dry well? Surely there must be a map of known aquifers in the area, no?? I admittedly know nothing about this process so any guidance would be appreciated from the green screen.
        Just because water is available by well doesnt mean its good.

Example...a contractor of mine bought land in some county north west of Waco. They have water at a couple hundred feet but its sulfur concentration makes it no good...not potable. The potable Trinity aquifer is some 1/4 mile down and will cost them $20k plus to get to that good water.

Yes. There are maps of aquifers and well data for all of Texas. Im not sure the best place. Texas A&M library has books of historical well data...Ive used for research. I think some data can be found on TCEQ.

Good luck. God bless!

Comment

Talk to a local driller and they should have a decent idea. It is what we did when we had our well drilled. The guy told me somewhere between 350 and 400 feet to good water. He missed it by 10 feet...LOL. My 410 foot well has good water and can do about 20 gallons per minute.

-john

Comment

you can try this website, as well.

Comment

Buddy of mine on 183 just outside of Lampasas has drilled 3 times at $3000 per and hasn't hit yet. How close is Kempner Water? I live off 2657 before the river and we have Kempner Water.

Comment

We have a well 12 miles south of Lampasas off 183 and have good water at a little less than 300 feet.

Comment

For those with wells, do you test the water to see if it's good? How often?

Comment

Water for me is around 680 feet. The well database above is a great resource.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
                      Buddy of mine on 183 just outside of Lampasas has drilled 3 times at $3000 per and hasn't hit yet. How close is Kempner Water? I live off 2657 before the river and we have Kempner Water.
                      aren't there a bunch of people upset with Kempner Water?

Sure seems like it reading the lampasas facebook groups.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lajita View Post
                        We have a well 12 miles south of Lampasas off 183 and have good water at a little less than 300 feet.
                        we aren't that far south of you (llano county) and have great water just 25 feet down on two different ranches.

weird how the levels vary so greatly within a small geographic area.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          we aren't that far south of you (llano county) and have great water just 25 feet down on two different ranches.

weird how the levels vary so greatly within a small geographic area.

we are at 625 or so here at the house in Oatmealand still not the best water pressure. Sure would have been nice to hit some that shallow!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

we are at 625 or so here at the house in Oatmealand still not the best water pressure. Sure would have been nice to hit some that shallow!
                            68 gpm south of llano

I think the pump at the other place sits at 41' (two lengths of pipe that I was able to hand-lower)

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              68 gpm south of llano

I think the pump at the other place sits at 41' (two lengths of pipe that I was able to hand-lower)
                              All has to do with the geology in the area, the aquifer, faulting and fracturing, and the type of bedrock. The average well depth in the Llano uplift is about 100 feet but there are lots of dry holes drilled here too.

Comment

Working...
                              X