Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Got my trailer and ATV stolen on Saturday night

And most of it is on video.

Long story short 3 guys in a 4 door champagne colored Z71 GMC 2500 pull in my drive way around 4 pm on Saturday. They mess around with the trailer for 10 - 15 minutes, re position their truck a few times, walk around a few times, then leave, without the trailer. My guess is the lock deterred them.

Then they come back an hour later. They fart around with it for another 15 minutes. Get the trailer hooked up, then sit in my driveway for a good 5 minutes waiting for the USPS mail lady who is literally parked at the end of my driveway to leave.

Once they pull out of the driveway, they then stop in my neighbors side yard. And fiddle fart around with the trailer again for another 15 minutes. My guess is they realized the ATV wasnt strapped down to the trailer, and they had to improvise.

I am almost more bummed about losing the trailer than the 4 wheeler. I dont really plan on getting either back. Just dont really know what my next move should be. The neighbor who got it on tape, doesnt really want to give me the tape, because it clearly comes from their house, although we watched it together on Saturday night. Another neighbor was out of town this weekend, but they are going to check and see if they have pictures, they think they do.

Do I report it, file an insurance claim, try to get a license plate, set up security cameras? I dont really know. They had what looked like 2 "joboxes" in the bed of the truck, they even stole some stuff that that I had out by the trash in the drive way. These crooks know where I live. Seemed to be some methed up white trash that are willing to risk a lot over an old ATV.

4 wheeler had a home made snorkel on it (from the guy that I bought it from) body lift, winch with a broken cable, and the right side handle bars were bent.
Attached Images

batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
txhunter007
Eight Point

Hunt In: Motley County

Get a police report and file with insurance.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Call the police and report it. They might be able to coax the video from your neighbor and catch these fools. Who knows, they might get busted doing something else dumb, and you could get your stuff back.

Not reporting will probably inhibit your ability to file any kind of insurance claims also.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Police report...and call Insurance. Unless you like enabling meth heads and dont like your trailer and 4wheeler.

Those utility trailers are about as handy as pockets on a shirt. Ive a high wall 5x8 and I love it. I mourn for your loss.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

That stinks. Police report and file with home owners. Police/insurance company may be able to convince neighbor to provide video.

Good luck on recovery.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Having the video would be huge when it comes to prosecution. They will get caught eventually.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Why doesn't the neighbor want to give you the tape?
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
mfarmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Do you report it???
If not, what else are you giving away?
mfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Fear of retaliation I assume.

Not sure why LE couldn't get the tape from them though. The neighbor has video evidence of a crime being committed.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Then the crooks would know where they live. And yes retaliation. They mentioned a few times they thought it would be gang initiation.

I didnt press them, because I think the other neighbor is going to have a better shot of the scene of the crime. And they have told me they dont mind sharing the pics.

I asked about reporting it because I am dang near positive I have read on here what a waste of time it is, and that I am never going to see my stuff again no matter what I do.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Jerry Worley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

pm sent
Jerry Worley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
batmaninja
Ten Point

I have a meeting at 10 but will call you afterwards Jerry. Thank you for reaching out.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

If you don't report it, you dang sure will never see your stuff again. Once the cops see the video or pictures they may know who on of the perps are.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

Please report it to LEO and insurance.
Meatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Jerry Worley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
I have a meeting at 10 but will call you afterwards Jerry. Thank you for reaching out.
Np. Look forward to speaking with you.
Jerry Worley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #16
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

So, you wait nearly 48 hours to report a crime, then ask a bunch of strangers on the interweb Ifn you should call the police, acause your scared you wont get your stuff back, acause you read on the internet you prolly wont get your stuff back...

Seems kinda late to me.

SMDH.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Whoop your neighbors arse

Or steal your neighbors 4wheeler and trailer. Tell them if they report it you know where they live.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-27-2018 at 10:59 AM.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #18
ren087
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Report it.
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Your neighbor sounds sorry.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #20
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Report it.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #21
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Absolutely report it. If you don't, they will know you are a soft, easy target if nothing else. Let your neighbor be the one that decides if they will cooperate with the police.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

Report it. LEOs can get a subpoena for the neighbors video. That stuff could be recovered at a later date and if you didn’t report it they won’t know who to give it back to.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Has it been mentioned that your neighbors suck?
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
jer_james
Pope & Young

I would report it, because they may not catch them now, but it could lead to building a case down the road.

As far as insurance goes, most require a police report anyways as well. I'm not certain what your deductible is, but it may not be worth it to use insurance.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #25
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Old 08-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
Then the crooks would know where they live. And yes retaliation. They mentioned a few times they thought it would be gang initiation.

I didnt press them, because I think the other neighbor is going to have a better shot of the scene of the crime. And they have told me they dont mind sharing the pics.

I asked about reporting it because I am dang near positive I have read on here what a waste of time it is, and that I am never going to see my stuff again no matter what I do.
pretty sorry neighbor. No doubt you should report it, what do you stand to lose by reporting it?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #27
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

Please send me the make and model of all equipment stolen via PM along with your contact info. I am in groups of ATV sales and I will post this with stolen on it. With almost 100,000 members of the group chances are somebody might see it posted somewhere.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #28
JGadbury
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Currently Looking

I would report it. Also, if the trailer/ATV were used in some sort of crime, it could come back to haunt you since you never reported it stolen.
JGadbury is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #29
batmaninja
Ten Point

I appreciate the responses adding value.

The neighbor that wont give me the video had valid reasons. Like I stated earlier I watched the video of the crime for several hours at their house on Saturday night. I gave them a 12 hour window of when I was out of town on Saturday, and they were able to pinpoint the time, car, number of people, etc. They have been helping me. And I didnt really press them to turn anything over.

I left my house early on Saturday to make a round trip to the Hill Country. I was planning on leaving Friday, but my transmission went out in my truck, in Conroe Friday afternoon. And I dont live in Conroe. So I dealt with that on Friday. Still wanted to go to the country, so I talked my girlfriend into letting me take her jeep, but had to leave the ATV and trailer since she doesn't have a hitch. And I had a few things going on yesterday.

I dont have a specific insurance policy on either the trailer or the ATV, so my hesitance in reporting it is, what happens if I dont get any money from insurance but my premiums go up?

The titles are below.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #30
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Quote:

How would the crooks know where they live? How would they know who gave you the video?

Regardless, you should report it and get it on paper and in writing that someone stole it. Might save your tail in the long run if something does happen and it is your trailer and 4 wheeler, registered in your name.

I just dont understand why there is even a question about reporting it. Almost like you are glad that it is gone and dont really care about it.

And why are there 2 different names on the titles. Are you Cliff Jones or Ivan Figueroa?

And your neighbors do suck! Valid reasons for not giving you the video, but will let you watch it at their house? WTH! This whole thing sounds fishy.

Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 08-27-2018 at 01:34 PM.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #31
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
How would the crooks know where they live?
If you look at the picture or video it is clear which house had a camera, taking a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
And why are there 2 different names on the titles.
The trailer and ATV were bought from 2 different people.

I have a number of things going on at the moment, and I got thrown a big curve ball when my truck crapped out on Friday, an hour from my house. That is honestly my main focus at the moment. Along with work.

I am also working on the other neighbor to see if they have a picture of the criminals, if I get it I will circulate. Including with the cops.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #32
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Ofcourse you report it. Chances are LEO would know the truck and/or the guy that owns/drives it. Gang initiation? More like meth heads
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #33
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

You report it and let the cops know the neighbor has them on camera. The rest is out of your hands.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #34
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Quote:
The neighbor that wont give me the video had valid reasons.
Still can't understand why.
They have cameras set up to do what? Maybe to catch bad guys doing bad stuff?
Would they not want to share video with LEO if it was THEIR stuff gone missing?
If they are afraid of bad guys retaliating, perhaps they should get rid of their cameras and not film bad guys doing bad stuff.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #35
Eastwood
Four Point

I was using my dad's utility trailer to haul fencing supplies to my house. I had it parked out back, but there is street frontage on that side. I had the wheels chained to the axles. I left for the coast on a friday afternoon and witnesses said they saw my trailer being drug down the street with the wheels locked up. They stopped in some woods and cut the chains. I discovered it missing when I got home that sunday. The first call I made was to my dad because he was the owner and he called the sheriff. That was two months ago. Only took a few minutes to give a report and the deputy found the witnesses. Trailer is still gone, but it's now reported stolen if it surfaces.
Eastwood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #36
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Quote:
If you look at the picture or video it is clear which house had a camera, taking a video.

The trailer and ATV were bought from 2 different people.

I have a number of things going on at the moment, and I got thrown a big curve ball when my truck crapped out on Friday, an hour from my house. That is honestly my main focus at the moment. Along with work.

I am also working on the other neighbor to see if they have a picture of the criminals, if I get it I will circulate. Including with the cops.
So, if they are recovered, how are you going to prove that they are yours? Just curious.

And I agree with the above statement about the neighbors and the cameras. What the heck is the use of having them if you dont use them for their intended use? If I was afraid of retaliation from a gang, I think I would up and move out of the area.

This just all sounds so strange.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #37
ballgame
Ten Point

Sorry to hear Carson, that sucks!! I feel for you.

Did you have a lock on the hitch?

Like this?
Attached Images

ballgame is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #38
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:

Waste of time??

In the time you've spent dealing with this thread you could have filed a report and throat punched your neighbor.

Recovered several stolen atvs regards

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #39
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Amazed you would NOT report it?? Good Lord!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #40
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

All I can say is I hope your neighbor never gets in a bind and needs so help. What a POS that guy is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #41
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Report it, no brainer
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #42
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

I think Im going to puke after reading all that. I say throw the camera footage in the pool and kiss your neighbor. Logical

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #43
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Get off your butt and stand up for your self! Report it! Or your just helping them do it to someone else! And they will be back to take more from you.

My security system and cams helped the Burleson PD nail a thief in my driveway. I put one up after some minor thefts. Month later, busted! I've walked into my house while it was being burglarized one time . I'm no longer afraid of "retaliation'. Cause anyone coming into my house now is gonna get a ton of led in the face if they wanna try to do something. I'm tired of that kinda crap! And tired of it happening.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #44
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I think I’m going to puke after reading all that. I say throw the camera footage in the pool and kiss your neighbor. Logical

Skinny
Yep. It’s gonna be hard to take a man that uses this kind of logic seriously here on out. Talking about the OP
rocky is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #45
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Please get the police report done. I run into folks all the time who say they had this or that happen but didn't report it because they knew the chances of getting their stuff back were probably not real good. That may be true depending on the crime and the details of said crime. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that we as police catch many of our bad guys because of intelligence gathered through researching recent crime patterns and suspect information. It may not get your stuff back, but it sure as heck can help the police get these guys identified and caught eventually. Your case just might have that one little piece of the puzzle officers were looking for to get these A-Holes identified. Even if you don't get your stuff back, you can help your local community by helping the police get these guys dealt with. And, there's also the chance that your local LEOs know who these guys are and will know where to go to get your stuff back. It definitely cannot hurt to report it.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #46
Louis
Eight Point

Report it!!! I had a big truck that I sold back to the dealer I bought it from. He sold it sometime later and the guy that bought it did not register it in his name and it was used in some crimes transporting stolen equipment. When they ran the vin number on it it came back to me as owner. Was visited by the FBI as well as local leo. Had to prove it wasn't mine. Luckily I kept the bill of sale. Report it or it could or will come back to bite YOU in the ***
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #47
Grittydog
Spike

Report it, When they get caught it may be enough to get their charges upped. By the way your neighbor sucks, it makes me think he somehow has an association to the thieves. Might be friends of friends. At least try to take a pic of the video and post that...
Grittydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #48
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

If your not willing to report it then don’t complain about it. If you file insurance for replacement, they may ask for a report. F the neighbor and report it. Tell the police he has footage and you seen it, they will get it.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #49
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

So, you're not doing a thing to help get your stuff back, but yet you're on the internet asking for advice, on what you should do about it? Then, when plenty of good advice is offered, you shoot it all down, like it doesn't even matter. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
HeyMikey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #50
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

The cops arent going to show the crooks the video. Report it or else you are almost aiding them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top