Fishing in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing in Jamaica

Going to Jamaica next week and was wondering if anyone has been fishing down there. Thanks

I did years ago and it was awesome. I actually fished with a local out of his small fishing boat and caught all kinds of fish. I believe I fished out of Ocho Rios, but don't remember because we stayed 3 weeks all over the island.

Comment

I am going to be in Negril next week. Looking to possibly do the same

Comment

Were gonna be at Ocho Rios, heard the fishing wasn't that great but wanted to hear from people that had actually been there.

Comment

Probably going there on my honeymoon next year, and I’m interested as well

Comment

I went with a local in a wooden boat while on our honeymoon in Negril. He was one of the guys who would pull up to the resort everyday and see if anybody would go out with him. It was pretty fun. First we trolled for tuna, but didn't have any luck though we did see some at the surface. After that we drifted and fished straight down with hermit crabs as bait. The equipment was very rough, but you could see the bottom 100' down. We reeled up all kinds of small fish, and the guy kept them all.

It was much different than what I'd ever done, and I'd do it again. I think it was only $75 + tip.

Comment

Went to ocho rios on our honeymoon and was tempted to fish and just book it through the sandals resort we were staying at but wanted to see if anyone had any first hand reviews i could talk to since it was $250 a person. just so happened that the couple we were on the plane with were going to do the fishing trip the very first day they were there so i waited to book something after hearing how there trip went. They were not to impressed with the fishing that the resort offered. Hardly any fish were caught and they crew admitted to them they were fishing some areas that get fished hard. Also, they had to share the boat with three other couples so it wasnt as comfortable as they wanted to be.

On the other hand i talked to some other couples that used local guides and had a blast for a fraction of the cost. We ended up not fishing but from what i gathered from most people is that you will have a much better time and catch more fish from locals instead of getting price gouged by the resort.

Comment

Awesome, we are headed to Jamaica at the end of the month. Tuned in.

Comment

After the horror stories I’ve heard y’all be careful there. Some of the things I’ve heard are down right scary.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                    I went with a local in a wooden boat while on our honeymoon in Negril. He was one of the guys who would pull up to the resort everyday and see if anybody would go out with him. It was pretty fun. First we trolled for tuna, but didn't have any luck though we did see some at the surface. After that we drifted and fished straight down with hermit crabs as bait. The equipment was very rough, but you could see the bottom 100' down. We reeled up all kinds of small fish, and the guy kept them all.

It was much different than what I'd ever done, and I'd do it again. I think it was only $75 + tip.
                    This is exactly what I did and it was a blast. And yes they kept every fish I caught. even the barracuda. They showed me a way to test for mercury in the blood to see if it was edible or to be used for cut bait.

Comment

Thanks guys, the group I'm going with is pretty excited so hopefully we'll have a good day on the water.

Comment

I have been to Jamaica 5 times. Have not fished because I was told it is over fished and not worth it. I have not seen local guys, no one came to the resorts I stayed at. If I go back I will make more effort to find these local guys.

Comment

We have been a couple of times and stayed in Negril a year or so ago.

From what I was told, the fishing around the island is poor at best. The "bag limits" are hardly monitored and fishing with dynamite is still legal so were told the resources just aren't there.

I've heard that sportfishing well off the coast in deeper waters can be really good however that is more seasonal.

The scuba diving has always been really good though!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                            After the horror stories I’ve heard y’all be careful there. Some of the things I’ve heard are down right scary.
                            What've you heard??

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                              What've you heard??
                              I have a friend and his wife that stayed at a resort and 4 different times somebody tried to force their way into their room late at night. They also had all their credit cards they used on the trip compromised after they returned home.

Also a lady I went to school with her and her husband had all their belonging stolen out of their room as they slept. She also told me the street people were so aggressive she feared for her and her husbands safety. They both said they would die before they would ever set foot back in that cesspool. Their words not mine I’ve never been.

Comment

Working...
                              X