South Texas tripod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas tripod?

So who uses tripods in south Texas? For bow hunting of course! How do you set them up? How do you brush them in? What height works well? Any pics of set ups? Thinking of trying one later this year on a high pressured place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use them a lot. Most are home made and my tallest one is about 6'. I don't have any pics but I can get some today as I will be sitting in one this evening. The key is your back round. I'd rather have something behind me than in front. Sky lined will get you busted every time. Black brush offers the best concealment in my opinion. Often I will drag my tripods in pieces and then piece it together in the middle of the thickest tallest shrub I can find in accordance to the wind I want to hunt it in.

Kind of a pain but it beats hanging up on everything trying to drag it in there. You'd be surprised how much a little tripod will catch on something. After its up I then trim out my lanes. I like to keep a strip of brush right in front of me so I can stay behind when I draw with small lanes cut out on both sides of it. Small lanes. Like maybe 12" at the biggest, keep in mind at that height your just about eye level and it never fails, there's almost always more than one animal in front of you so lots of eyes to try and get around.

A little tip if you can get a pair of lopping shears and extend the handles using pvc it helps wonders trimming out your lanes. Wear carhart shirt and leather work gloves. You will get scratched up. That's a fact.

Comment

Not S Tex, but I used them to great advantage in Central Tex. I used various heights as I added length to the legs to fit the "tree", to use the term loosely. All we had were small mesquites and that's not much cover. I had one really good setup and one decent one that I killed deer from. I agree with Muddy Bud, be sparse with your shooting lanes and try to get some background cover. My best one had plenty, the other I set between some multiple trunks, (like he said I had to put it together in the trees), and wrapped some military type camo netting around the backside. I even killed turkeys out of them, so I must have been hidden pretty well.

Comment

I use them on our place. Being able to pull the legs together and collapse them helps a lot when brushing them in. I put them in the thick stuff then kick the legs out. I have 2 tripods at each feeder for prevailing winds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds good so far. Thinking of building one bout 6” tall with adjustable legs to go to maybe 8 ft. Will be out of aluminum and that fold up so I can get it in one really thick stuff and open the legs.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            Sounds good so far. Thinking of building one bout 6” tall with adjustable legs to go to maybe 8 ft. Will be out of aluminum and that fold up so I can get it in one really thick stuff and open the legs.

Might as well just sit on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Might as well just sit on the ground.

There is always that option too. But it takes a lot of time to build the right brush blinds and I only have 3 days to hunt. I could easily just do the brush blind. Did it last year and worked pretty well.

Comment

Like HH02 I like the Portable pods. I can hand corn and set up where they are moving or not corn and set up on a rub line. Mine is 10' weighs 65lbs.

Edit: Mine is made by Big Game Stands
                Last edited by Rack Ranch; 10-10-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                  Like HH02 I like the Portable pods. I can hand corn and set up where they are moving or not corn set up on a rub line. Mine is 10' weighs 65lbs.

I’ll be down there dec 12-15. Last year I got off the feed route and on a creek full of runs. Hand corned very lightly from a trail intersection to my blind. Ended up with a solid deer at 25 yards but couldn’t get it done. Was in a brush blind. Was thinking a tripod would be a little more versatile and I can always add brush around it.

Comment

Spidermonkey here on TBH built this one for me. You can adjust the angle of the legs and make it taller or shorter based on the angle, then the feet slide in and out and can extend it up another foot or so. All in all can be adjusted from probably just under 5 feet to right at 8 feet.

Comment

There is always that option too. But it takes a lot of time to build the right brush blinds and I only have 3 days to hunt. I could easily just do the brush blind. Did it last year and worked pretty well.

I think you missed the joke... you said you were going to build a 6" tripod... I have chairs taller than 6"

Comment

I’ll be down there dec 12-15. Last year I got off the feed route and on a creek full of runs. Hand corned very lightly from a trail intersection to my blind. Ended up with a solid deer at 25 yards but couldn’t get it done. Was in a brush blind. Was thinking a tripod would be a little more versatile and I can always add brush around it.

This is also a good strategy. If you know the are your hunting, you can go on Google Earth and find the heavier trails just off feed routes. Granted most will be cattle but deer use them too. I like trails that cut through thick stuff that lead to small open areas.

Try and set up around those spots with a little hand corn. Good way to cut scouting times down.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          I think you missed the joke... you said you were going to build a 6" tripod... I have chairs taller than 6"

Lol. Oops

Comment

I hunt the tripod in the back of this pic. It's about 8' tall tucked into a big old mesquite tree. It's only about 10 yards from the feeder and sits on the NE side of the pen. I have it in this spot for about 15 years. Works pretty good.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I use South Texas as tripods in east Texas. They are light and mobile and easy to move. I move them all over my place. If you want to borrow one I can bring one back during thanksgiving if you wanna meet around sugar land area they are 6 feet to the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X